Thailand On US Copyright Piracy List

LaoPo

I am sure there was some New World caveman pretty upset when he saw the neighbors using his Clovis point or some Salutrean complaining about borrowings by some proto-Celt using his innovation. I'm just not sure that anything can prevent diffusion of ideas across borders and I am not sure, in the long term, whether one can hope to base an economy on such a premise. To paraphrase a great observer of the capitalist system, you had better retain control of the means of production.

There is no proven track record that ideas can serve as commodities for barter. Despite pleas to the contrary, it is yet to be seen that "knowledge" can be bought and sold and protected in the same way as tangible property or valued in the same manner. The individuals and companies who invest in creating new products don't deserve anything. They can certainly earn something, but isn't that up to the "market" to determine?

Under those conditions the US and other developed countries better start raising tarriffs and reopening factories. With no reward for R&D and only income from the sale of products anyone can freely copy, that kind of protection will be needed to maintain the ecomomy otherwise, as you would probably prefer, the citizens of those countries will see their lifestyles rapidly decline as their economy crumbles.

I didn't mean to imply that there is no reward for innovation, only that the amount of the reward would be ultimately determined by the "market", both to the degree of reward and to the duration of the receiving of the reward. If a company prices the product or the service too high, then eventually someone, if possible, will obtain the means of production and will offer the same thing at a lower price and no amount of "legal" protection will prevent that from occuring.

One gap that will remain quite wide for a long time is competitive military might and economic alliances between developing and developed nations. If nations increasingly feel that they have a right to steal patents and technology from developed nations then a return to gunboat diplomacy wouldn't be out of the question. I'm not saying it will be a return to colonial times but competition for resources and technology could very well herald a new age of conflict such as economic sanctions, deprivation of resources, and finally military strikes.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One gap that will remain quite wide for a long time is competitive military might and economic alliances between developing and developed nations. If nations increasingly feel that they have a right to steal patents and technology from developed nations then a return to gunboat diplomacy wouldn't be out of the question. I'm not saying it will be a return to colonial times but competition for resources and technology could very well herald a new age of conflict such as economic sanctions, deprivation of resources, and finally military strikes.

Which begs the question whether there has ever been an age without competition for scarce resources, whether the resource be land, people (as in traditional local mainland Southeast Asian conflicts), natural resources, trade routes, and now perhaps technology. It is only quite recently that ideas are thought to have tangible ownership and it is yet to be seen whether the corporations can encourage their governments they dominate to go to war over protection of the abstract.

I can see it now: "Hey you, that was my idea first, give it back or I will shoot."

I mention this here as well....Ive become aware of a seminar that may discuss some of these issues

Seminar: Rule of Law and Economic Freedom

Judge Vichai Ariyanuntaka of the Supreme Court will speak on Rethinking Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement at a seminar on The Importance of Rule of Law in Economic Freedom on May 21st at the Arnoma Hotel, Bangkok. The Keynote address will be followed by a panel discussion with prominent panellists from United Kingdom, India and Thailand. The session will be moderated by Dr. Thitinan Pongsudhirak.

This seminar will look at the role of Rule of Law in safeguarding the proper and efficient functioning of market economies. The seminar will be in English with Thai interpretation. Seats are limited. For reservations call Ms. Kaweeworn on 02 365 0570.

Its free of charge......and open to public...but i think mainly those invited are corporates, government and media people.

you can request for copy of programme and more info through that number.

ofcourse I dont think the specifics of the piracy issue will be discussed openly....its one of those subjects where I dont believe any thai official except the very high ups will dare to say much about. but could be interesting to hear from someone such as the Judge whos directly responsible for safeguarding IPR. (the particular section under the supreme court has been established in about a year or so)