Anyone who can tell how serious this damage on "new" condo building is?

10 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I wonder how long it took to build the building and how long the rebar was exposed to the weather prior to being encased in concrete.  And was it rusty to start with? 

surface rust no problem. will be encased. quality of steel more important... why abandoned 1997 projects are no longer viable. apart from lost plans, steel exposed.

• Like 2

A engineer needs to be appointed along with the building company boss.

It's not a big problem as the hole can be repaired easily enough.  

As mentioned, although it looks bad it's not serious structurally. 

This issue is the longer it's left open the more damage from water and corrosion.

"Exposure of reinforced concrete to chloride ions is the primary cause of premature corrosion of steel reinforcement . The intrusion of chloride ions, present in deicing salts and seawater, into reinforced concrete can cause steel corrosion if oxygen and moisture are also available to sustain the reaction."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I wonder how long it took to build the building and how long the rebar was exposed to the weather prior to being encased in concrete.  And was it rusty to start with? 

surface rust is never an issue as it does not support corrosion and therefore won't cause steel rebar to expand. It's when you have rebar exposed for long periods of time that develop chloride ions is when there is a problem. 

Rebar is never spotless when concrete encased during pours, so it's no big deal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oldie said:

Did you ask the condo management what it is and why they didn't fix it. It is their responsibility to fix it. Also talk to other people living there. I once wanted to buy a nice condo on the top floor. When I talked to the neighbor he told me whenever there is heavy rain then water comes into his condo. Then he showed me several letters he sent to the management and said he never got an answer. Needless to say that I immediately forgot this condo. 

I didn't ask. Haven't seen the real building yet. These were photos posted in closed Line group of the owners by a guy who was just about to sign contract and was inspecting the room yesterday, then he saw that and posted it, asking others in group whether that was a big problem. He's taking it to building management and he's refusing to sign before he knows if it's serious or not, and if not, until it's fixed. In that conversation then a girl from 14th floor also posted that 2 photos that she took somewhere on outside wall, she said that's all she can do as she's afraid her phone would fall off if she tried to move it further out. No idea where that was but was taken from her balcony. Likely outside wall of the bedroom near the window (the one with gray wall - impact damage). The other, darker one - no idea where that is. Haven't seen any dark colour like that on the building.

So, not talking to anyone. Haven't even paid a deposit or saw the real room. Haven't signed anything. Was just interested in it... then saw these photos, so like guy who has them above his room, I wanted to know how serious this is.

6 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

By Sep 2015 they cleared the land - before it was just forest

By Feb 2016 the bushes were removed and equipment started moving in

By end Dec 2016 there are about 5 floors built

By end Oct 2017 the main outside construction seems complete

By end of Jan 2018 the cranes are removed and seems the finishing touches on the outside are in progress (building painting, creatng the tracks/garden at the top, the pool, etc.

By November 2018 the building seems complete and workers huts are removed

Used Google Earth satellite view with history from 2001. They fly by from time to time so sometimes it's several months gap between photos or cloud cover so you can't see anything, hence gaps in timeline.

• Like 1

The look of that building is enough to not buy it Why would anyone want to buy any property in Thailand now, very unstable political situation, serious pandemic world wide, serious unemployment situation in Thailand, every week horror stories about home and Condo from Farang owners. legal system totally stacked against Farang, No real laws policed for any problems for Farang owners, I have lived in Thailand for 13 years now still have all the money I came with, moved 6 times never had to put up with any problems just move, can have a family in rented place just the same as owned. I have known three Farangs that bought homes (owned by the wife) and can not sell them, many Farangs do not think situations change but they can and for the worse for the Farang. I was married my wife die over one year ago now she was only 56 die of asbestos's she always want me to buy a house, I never would, if I had bought a house when she die I would have had a very big problem , would have one year to sell or get out, and I am sure her family would have try to get the house for sure, very happy I never buy anything. 

Personally i would not buy anything new or newish the materials that are being used is the cheapest stuff going and ceiling heights are low just dont like them, my condo in patts was built in 1992 and is a really good build time will tell with these newer places

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merlen10002 said:

The look of that building is enough to not buy it Why would anyone want to buy any property in Thailand now, very unstable political situation, serious pandemic world wide, serious unemployment situation in Thailand, every week horror stories about home and Condo from Farang owners. legal system totally stacked against Farang, No real laws policed for any problems for Farang owners, I have lived in Thailand for 13 years now still have all the money I came with, moved 6 times never had to put up with any problems just move, can have a family in rented place just the same as owned. I have known three Farangs that bought homes (owned by the wife) and can not sell them, many Farangs do not think situations change but they can and for the worse for the Farang. I was married my wife die over one year ago now she was only 56 die of asbestos's she always want me to buy a house, I never would, if I had bought a house when she die I would have had a very big problem , would have one year to sell or get out, and I am sure her family would have try to get the house for sure, very happy I never buy anything. 

I'm with you with the first 11 words. But the rest... is just a rant. Not really applicable to me. I'm here 25 years, not buying a house with land but condo, have PR and can get blue tabien baan in own name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

I'm with you with the first 11 words. But the rest... is just a rant. Not really applicable to me. I'm here 25 years, not buying a house with land but condo, have PR and can get blue tabien baan in own name.

Got you,, I though I would get a lot more bit disappointed only got one, ????

• Haha 1

No pool, but you got a garden and garden needs water and being at the top when it rains take a good guess! 

The question is why hasn't it been addressed by the Condo managers?  Check the minutes to the meetings to see if the topic has been brought up?  Something like this is cost but I guess if you are buying into a condo with 28 floors money isn't everything?

So with cost if the condo fees don't or can't cover take another guess who has to pay and it would seem a bit unfair you are buying into an existing problem. If you really got to have the place I would find a structural engineer even a landscape to get the answer the cost to fix and prevent future then present it to the sellers and see if you can get it off the price?

Edited by thailand49

22 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Someone posted these photos above his window and asked how serious this is.

I'm not sure what he was referring to, "how serious this is". 
The rebars look like hooking spots for lifting modules by drains(it looks like modular walls). Then they hammered them in without any patch. Other rusty spots are only end of some rebars out of concrete that during time became rusty due to the bad patch. Then rust cause the patch pops out. And the upper part looks like a bad "joint patch" that was a "wet cement to dry smooth cement surface", obviously the patch will separate during time from smooth surface.  
In the end, IMO no serious issue. 

14 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Good rebar should still have its layer of black mill scale reasonably intact. The pH of cement being what it is, some red rust on rebar can still be tolerated. The existing rust is passivated by the cement.

The real problems start with salt. Chloride sets up a corrosion cell along with moisture, and overwhelms the passive oxide so the rusting becomes self-sustaining. It's virtually impossible to completely eliminate moisture from cement, there is always a residual.

Judging by the red-orange coloration in the first photo, I'd say that's what is happening here

Avoid certain builders. Another one starts with p

I am looking to buy a condo with wife and I have seriously narrowed it down to The Line 101. There is really night and day difference in construction between Sansiri and some of developers mentioned here. 

• Haha 1