Facebook friends

jvs

I  don't know if i post this in the right place so please move it if necessary .

I have been on facebook for a few years and always have been careful as far as privacy goes.

In the last year due to my activities i have made a few "friends" and never no problem.

Today or more precisely in the last two hours i have had over 60 friend requests!

Not local but from all over the world,what could be wrong?Am i such a nice guy all of a sudden?Nah.

A lot of these requests are friends of friends,i am lost.

I checked all of my privacy settings and they are ok as far as i can see.

Any ideas?

Hacked?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Are you sure that they are not just suggested friends of people who you may know , rather than actual friend requests ?

Sometimes facebook sends you a list of people who you may know , but, they aren't actually friend requests from the people

Just checked again,68 actual friend requests!They keep adding !

Something you posted may have recently gone 'viral' (been shared onward and onward by one or more people in your normal friends list)

Looking at my 10+ year dormant facebook account -- I have ONE friend request, and many many People you may know. 

My Setting & Privacy are all mostly either Only ME. Friends or Friends of Friends. whichever is more restrictive. 

I STOPPED using Facebook before that became a popular thing to say you were doing ...only because my new THAI and EXPAT 'friends' tend to post explicit or obnoxious content and you NEVER ever want to give anyone the opportunity to meet ALL of your friends ...unless you WANT a fight to break out. 

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Something you posted may have recently gone 'viral' (been shared onward and onward by one or more people in your normal friends list)

That could be,i posted something that was popular amongst my friends.

Snowball effect?

• Like 1

Just now, jvs said:

That could be,i posted something that was popular amongst my friends.

Snowball effect?

Check their walls, see who commented on their comment, it may lead you to which post triggered all the new request (if the commenters are also part of the new friend requests).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the number of 'friends' some facebookers have seem to be important. there seems to be a race to have the most friends or followers. so requests can get out of hand at times. instagram was worse. i say was, as i refuse to use it anymore. 

why you have so many now over a short space of time? maybe you had been lucky up to now. maybe you've recently added a friend who has many friends or followers, and they've all got your name as a friend suggestion?

if you can be bothered, which i doubt, look at their profiles to see if you share friends, and you may get one or two names pop up often.

hacked? doubt it very much...

I checked just now and have a lot more requests.

I looked at a bunch of them and so far they are all real accounts and they all are friends of friends.

I never bother with friend suggestions and it would be too much of a coincidence if other people would do this with me all at the same time.

Richcor is probably right,some thing i posted has been shared a lot.

Sorry, but I have to state the obvious solution :

Delete your Fakebook account and move on with your life. 

Whatever the reason you originally had for signing up it should be obvious by now that you're being used, abused, exploited, and monetized for all your worth and then some. It just gets worse everyday. 

Just now, RocketDog said:

Sorry, but I have to state the obvious solution :

Delete your Fakebook account and move on with your life. 

Whatever the reason you originally had for signing up it should be obvious by now that you're being used, abused, exploited, and monetized for all your worth and then some. It just gets worse everyday. 

It does take a month of abstainance (or is it three? )  to delete your account. Be careful NOT to log in accidentally or the clock goes back to ONE.

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

OP, it still sounds like you are talking about, facebook suggesting people you may know. If the button says confirm/delete then that a friend request, if the button says add friend/remove, thats someone you may know, usually friends of friends.

If it bothers you that much change your settings so nobody can send you a friend request

This might just as well be Facebook promoting you by putting you on other people’s Facebook page as a suggestion and people are biting or it could be scammers and hackers randomly sending you requests in the hope you’ll accept. I get strange friend requests a couple of times a months, too, but I never accept them! Try this: https://m.facebook.com/help/1718866941707011

• Like 1

Again,they are all friend requests,not suggestions.

I deleted over 150 in the last hour.

Some one suggest to close my account but why?

Facebook can be a great tool to learn and i do daily.

I just don't understand why so many requests in the last two days,over 250.

Not scammers,are all friends of friends and all share the same hobby.

I am not worried but curious,i have asked some of them if and why they send me a request.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stouricks said:

It does take a month of abstainance (or is it three? )  to delete your account. Be careful NOT to log in accidentally or the clock goes back to ONE.

Of course they make it as difficult as possible to leave for good. Every member is a cash cow for them. 

It's harder than getting a divorce. 

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2020 at 10:25 PM, jvs said:

I have been on facebook for a few years

i tried it for maybe a few days, years ago.

NEVER again.

just create a fake account and search for stuff.   you can still talk with your "friends" under a fake account.  no picture, no nothing....  

On 10/11/2020 at 10:36 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Are you sure that they are not just suggested friends of people who you may know , rather than actual friend requests ?

Sometimes facebook sends you a list of people who you may know , but, they aren't actually friend requests from the people

I don't have problems with friends on Facebook, but sometimes with "friends of friends" which I never met and never wanted to meet. 

Simply ignore 8 no or block them if they get on your nerves. And make sure your shares are not visible to everyone. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, micmichd said:

Definitely happens. I have hardly used my facebook in years, but i still get about 2 or 3 friend requests every week from 'friends' of my Thai family members accounts. They get repeated frequently and most do not even speak any English and i have never met them. I do know that when i have enquired, that they have NOT sent them themselves.

It is because of this that i ignore ALL  contact requests from Facebook. Only keep account because some family members send me stuff.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rickudon said:

Definitely happens. I have hardly used my facebook in years, but i still get about 2 or 3 friend requests every week from 'friends' of my Thai family members accounts. They get repeated frequently and most do not even speak any English and i have never met them. I do know that when i have enquired, that they have NOT sent them themselves.

It is because of this that i ignore ALL  contact requests from Facebook. Only keep account because some family members send me stuff.

Good idea. 

Since my inner family is here in Pattaya every day, I don't even use my Facebook for them anymore. Because I see them every day. 

If I'd contact them on Facebook they'd only get stalked by other Facebook users.