Who'll stop the rain?

Brunolem

At the end of July, I opened a thread with a title like "will we ever see the rain?".

Almost three months later, things have changed...a lot!

We had a normal month of rain season in August, that is what the weatherman would call "mostly sunny with scattered showers".

But after that, the weather has turned full British, with days after days of mostly thin rain and grey skies.

Since the beginning of October, we have barely seen the sun and we often have to keep the lights on for large parts of the day.

Hopefully we are not sun powered...

All this would be a minor inconvenience if it was not a complete disaster for the farmers.

Having been damaged for lack of rain until August, the rice crops are now threatened by too much water.

First, with the rice still knee deep in water, it is impossible to cut it with the machines, and the manpower is not there to cut it by hand.

Then it is impossible to let the freshly cut rice dry under the sun, since the latter has disappeared.

And finally, the straw left in the fields is rotting instead of being harvested for the cows.

A complete disaster with no end in sight.

With La Nina in full swing, it wouldn't be surprising to have the same kind of weather until at least the end of November...

Edited by Brunolem

7 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yeah, a bit wet this year, but eventually the rain will stop.

Screenshot_20201012-084145_Badoo.jpg

that definitely looks like pattaya tai & soi 17 early 2000, still amazed my old scooter didnt choke,

the engine was entirely submerged all the way.

ed: i just realized the air intake must have been at the tank, similar like the weirdo looking pickup trucks with a trunk for air intake

Edited by scammed

8 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yeah, a bit wet this year, but eventually the rain will stop.

Screenshot_20201012-084145_Badoo.jpg

Next year is the worry I think... rainy season is almost over for this year.. but if La Lina is well established next year could be a very wet one..  

Full English here in southern Si Saket.

Today, lucky to get to 23, it's dull and miserable and typical English 'drizzle'. Has been all day. Rice is just coming into seed, so no worries about heavy rains. Harvest here won't be for about a month or more.

no one stops the rain. As someone somewhere once said, it is what it is. Get over it.

8 hours ago, scammed said:

trump or climate change, those are the suspects,

for drought and precipitation both.

before hose two culprits came along, things was just fine

You are only supposed to take the red OR blue pill,NOT both at the same time,and under no circumstances take them with alcohol or other drugs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

What rain? Some drizzle in Pattaya, but little in the way of real rain, as evidenced by the low water levels in the reservoirs.

You don't live at Phoenix Golf then? Always said we have our own microclimate here, rained a lot in the last couple of months I can almost see the grass grow.

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

What rain? Some drizzle in Pattaya, but little in the way of real rain, as evidenced by the low water levels in the reservoirs.

Don't know where in Pattaya you live but I can see the Mabprachan lake from my house, admittedly it needs a lot more water but the last few weeks we've had torrential rain out here, only today on the way back from shopping we were down to a crawl because we couldn't see where we were going, and about an hour ago another huge deluge.

And of course there were no reports of the beach being washed away yet again were there ?? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jesimps said:
17 hours ago, Guderian said:

You don't live at Phoenix Golf then? Always said we have our own microclimate here, rained a lot in the last couple of months I can almost see the grass grow.

East of Pattaya we haven't had a single day without rain for 10 days I think.

Unable to cut the lawn, which is now overdue for 6 days

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

Well here in the Chiang Mai area we haven't had any rain for the past 3 days and I will probably be forced to go out and water my plants with a hose. QUITCHERBITCHIN?

There's a new depression ready to hit Northern Vietnam that should bring you enough water in the coming  days...

Here in Udon Thani lovely weather. Last serious rain about one week ago, lots of cloud and an occasional light shower, temperature 27-30 degrees.

Dry enough to start digging the garden. Wet season last 2 years short but brutal - floods from July - mid-September, then no rain at all.