Provincial organisation elections to be held nationwide on Dec 20

webfact

Provincial organisation elections to be held nationwide on Dec 20

By THE NATION

800_097d7f3099e6102.jpeg?v=1602555467

Election of chief executives and members of the Provincial Administrative Organisation (PAO) nationwide would be held on Sunday December 20, the Election Commission (EC) announced on Monday.

The EC also announced that on October 26, it would officially announce the schedules and locations of PAO elections nationwide, while candidate applications would be received from November 2-6.

The Cabinet’s previous approval of PAO elections for 380 posts is the first step in restoring voters’ control over almost 100,000 posts that were suspended six years ago after the coup in 2014.

In the absence of local elections, tenures of PAO posts expired in 2018 and left 98,940 local politicians and administrators frozen in place.

The size of PAOs will be limited to 24 members per 500,000 residents -- 30 per 1 million residents, 36 per 1.5 million residents, 42 per 2 million residents and 48 if the number of provincial residents exceeds 2 million.

Nakhon Ratchasima’s PAO will be the largest with 48 members, followed by Khon Kaen, Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Buriram, Udon Thani and Ubon Ratchathani provinces at 42.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396112

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-13

This bothers me because it always seems the timing of elections is not the most convenient for those who can vote but are away at work or school. What I see in dates like this one is that now Thais will have to choose between going home for the vote on Dec. 20 or using their money to go home for New Year when most people they want to see will be home. Also, I would guess most companies won't accommodate them for the Dec 20 date by letting them use their New Year holiday days then. For rural people, voting days almost always comes down to a choice like this. It causes many to just ignore the vote.

• Like 1

I think is weird that Thai home address mostly is in different place where they live! In our place coming wife sister's post (have still house close) even she have live close Chiang Mai already 6 years! Visit here maybe 2-4 times / year.

1 hour ago, 2 is 1 said:

I think is weird that Thai home address mostly is in different place where they live! In our place coming wife sister's post (have still house close) even she have live close Chiang Mai already 6 years! Visit here maybe 2-4 times / year.

I think Thailand should have people vote where they live most of the time but this would mean rural people working in the big cities like Bangkok would influence their elections more and could even run for office there threaten the old establishment. By making people travel or hassling them all the time to travel to their villages to do anything, they weaken them and keep them poor too. Rural people spend much more money in their lives to do normal things than do people who live permanently in one place. Going back and forth to a village for elections, weddings, funerals, or just to get a paper signed by the village head or district office so you can do something in Bangkok, etc all the time costs a lot in time and money. I don't think the Bangkok people who always end up running and controlling Thailand really give a darn about this issue as I said it just makes the rural people weaker politically and in personal financial security.

• Like 2

These local elections can be dirtier than national elections. I'm familiar with a couple of areas where voters get paid more for their vote in these than a national election. Big money involved with local budgets and contracts. People bang on about the Bangkok elite but in daily life you can see the local elites screwing their own people all the time.  

People travelling to vote, Dec 20. Sounds like something similar that happened 2000 odd years ago around the same time of year.....The

Stupid time of year to have elections in Thailand. Why not during the New Year when everyone is where they live and are registered?