After the horse has bolted: Warning signs and lights installed at horror crossing

webfact

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I can see your point about an escape route, but no vehicle should ever be in that situation as the lights & bells start well before the barriers come down.

Some vehicles brake down while crossing the tracks or another incident might happen.

I know what you are saying and i agree but there is always something that could happen.

2 minutes ago, jvs said:

Some vehicles brake down while crossing the tracks or another incident might happen.

I know what you are saying and i agree but there is always something that could happen.

How long in time, does it take a vehicle to traverse the tracks, should be about 10 seconds. But yes, BREAKdowns do happen, but why just as the vehicle is crossing the tracks. Sod's Law.

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

How long in time, does it take a vehicle to traverse the tracks, should be about 10 seconds. But yes, BREAKdowns do happen, but why just as the vehicle is crossing the tracks. Sod's Law.

that would be absolutely out of luck, but you know sh111t happens, and in Thailand a way more often.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tarteso said:

You are right.. some of them don't even avoid it..

this is a huge problem in Thailand, many drivers/riders simply switch off their brain/thinking once they are on the roads as this video shows, they dont see or take notice of anything around them because their minds are somewhere else entirely in their own little dream worlds. Putting lights, warnings and barriers up will not stop them as they will still ignore them same as they ignore red lights, speed limits, traffic signs, turning lanes etc, they will continue to do as they please, you cant stop ignorance/arrogance/stupidity

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jvs said:
50 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I can see your point about an escape route, but no vehicle should ever be in that situation as the lights & bells start well before the barriers come down.

A valid point, however do take note of this comment in the O/P:

'Meanwhile, 77kaoded reported that they had spoken to a local person who lives by the train tracks.

They revealed that there were Ifact (sic) warnings in place at the crossing in both directions but they had never worked properly since they were installed four years ago'.

And as I recall from the original article, the bus driver was not familiar with this route. He usually did daily workers routes.

So it's possible that the bus driver had been lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that there was no indication from the lights or ringing bells warning him that a train was approaching.

If what the local resident says is true, this makes SRT culpable, as they have a duty of care to ensure that track side safety equipment is working properly.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

A valid point, however do take note of this comment in the O/P:

'Meanwhile, 77kaoded reported that they had spoken to a local person who lives by the train tracks.

They revealed that there were Ifact (sic) warnings in place at the crossing in both directions but they had never worked properly since they were installed four years ago'.

And as I recall from the original article, the bus driver was not familiar with this route. He usually did daily workers routes.

So it's possible that the bus driver had been lulled into a false sense of security by the fact that there was no indication from the lights or ringing bells warning him that a train was approaching.

If what the local resident says is true, this makes SRT culpable, as they have a duty of care to ensure that track side safety equipment is working properly.

Yes i partly agree with you but it does not take away the responsibility of a driver.

It is like i said before,if you want to kill yourself i don't mind but if you are responsible for a busload of

people i want you to 'stop,look and listen'!

It is like people blindly following the GPS and ending up in a lake.

I know this is Thailand but that is hardly an excuse and certainly not a reason!

• Like 2