New U.s. Embassy Rule

I was at the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai today trying to get my sons translated birth certificate and medical records verified as true and authintic to get his ITIN number.

They said there is a new requirement that all translated docs that will be used by U.S. government agencies for whatever reason must go to Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) first before the U. S. Embassy will put their stamp on it. The U. S. government wants the Thai government to verify the documents are legit before they will be accepted for use by the U.S. government.

There is a cover sheet to each document that the MFA fills out. They put their stamp on it and send it back the same way it came.

I don't know if this is a new rule or an old one. I think it is new because i have done this twice before and did not have to send the docs to the Ministry of Foreign Affiars in Bangkok.

Also, each document cost $30. The 2 times I did this before the stamp was free.

The counsulate said a legitimate visa service (such as Star Visa in Chiang Mai) should be able to send the docs to the MFA.

I was at the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai today trying to get my sons translated birth certificate and medical records verified as true and authintic to get his ITIN number.

They said there is a new requirement that all translated docs that will be used by U.S. government agencies for whatever reason must go to Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) first before the U. S. Embassy will put their stamp on it. The U. S. government wants the Thai government to verify the documents are legit before they will be accepted for use by the U.S. government.

There is a cover sheet to each document that the MFA fills out. They put their stamp on it and send it back the same way it came.

I don't know if this is a new rule or an old one. I think it is new because i have done this twice before and did not have to send the docs to the Ministry of Foreign Affiars in Bangkok.

Also, each document cost $30. The 2 times I did this before the stamp was free.

The counsulate said a legitimate visa service (such as Star Visa in Chiang Mai) should be able to send the docs to the MFA.

Thank you for informing us of the change.

What does ITIN stand for?

Please let us know what the visa service agencies charge for this service and what MFA fees there are and how long the process takes.

Are copies acceptable for submission? The idea of giving a critically-important original document to a visa agent and then for them to send it on to MFA (in Bangkok I'm assuming) and hoping it all returns intact sounds like a nail-biting adventure.

Thanks again.

:o

I should have mentioned Individual Taxpayer Identification Number = ITIN. It is used for your dependents who do not, for whatever reason, have a social security number. The purpose of the ITIN is so you can legally claim your dependents on your federal or state tax return.

As stated in paragraph 2 Ministry of Foreign Affairs = (MFA).

I don't know what the visa service agencies charge for this service. I was advised to use them since I was in Chiang Mai and couldn't go to Bangkok.

I don't know if copies are acceptable for submission but I doubt it since these are documents that are verified by the MFA.

Other exampes of documents you might submit to the MFA are proof of income or maritial status.

I don't know what the visa service agencies charge for this service. I was advised to use them since I was in Chiang Mai and couldn't go to Bangkok.

Other exampes of documents you might submit to the MFA are proof of income or maritial status.

Also translation service offices can do the MFA submission. One next to the US Consulate did a translation of a marital status document and obtained the MFA stamps for me. Been a while since I was there so can't be sure they are still at that location.