Sukhimvit Sidewalks Asok To ? Soi 71?

kuma

what is with the sidewalks on sukhimvit - on the odd side of the road

at first i guessed they half buried the water? service to test if the capacity was enough? or something to that effect before completing it

but now it is ridiculous. it is nearly impossible to walk there now, esp for women. i have seen this pipe snaking as far up as soi 71, but i dont think it is as bad in all areas as it is on the stretch from 21 to 31.

does anyone know why they are doing this or when it will be done?

Last time I went to Bangkok, I was really surprised how bad the sidewalk in that area really is. Makes for some difficult walking. I saw a lot of people having a hard time, it looks like an obstacle course.

It looks like it would be an embarrassment to the city, for such a high trafficked area to look so bad. :o

temporary...

:o

no i did not think to ask any of the businesses but it sounds like maybe you did - perhaps that is a good idea

Have you thought of asking any of the businesses involved? It's a temporary water supply.

i walk it almost daily and have to agree, not only an eyesore but a hazard for many who traffic the area.

temporary in that condition i can see for a few weeks or so - but this has been the case for months in the area, they should have dug two feet deeper.

Last time I went to Bangkok, I was really surprised how bad the sidewalk in that area really is. Makes for some difficult walking. I saw a lot of people having a hard time, it looks like an obstacle course.

It looks like it would be an embarrassment to the city, for such a high trafficked area to look so bad. :o

I agree - pavements are absolutely shocking in certain areas, and non-existent in others; e.g. near my apartment you have to walk either directly on the road with cars and motorbikes driving past you or occasionally on a raised piece of paving which is maybe 9 inches wide and right against the wall, and if you encounter a telegraph pole or road sign you have to either climb around it or step out into the road. Not good also when there are puddles around.

And lord knows how people in wheelchairs manage. That's true all over Bangkok actually - just how does someone confined to a wheelchair deal with a situation where the entire pavement becomes blocked by a stairway for a pedestrian bridge, save for a 12 inch wide gap that fully mobile people can shuffle through, single file? Couple that with an 18 inch curb leading onto traffic hurtling past and your options are either turn back or.... well, turn back I guess.

Considering how good many of the roads are now becoming upcountry, you'd have thought they'd spend some cash on sorting out the abysmal Bangkok pavements.

I was just thinking I should post about the place today. It makes Bangkok look like the worst part of the 3rd world. I thought the Thais were concerned about appearances- perhaps there's a plan to refinish everything later and that's why they're putting it off? Incidentally, the shoddy work and devastation go all the way up to On Nut (Soi 81) if not farther.

I really do like Bangkok, and it makes me sad to see this area look so bad. Think about how many travelers go home with that image in their mind.

Don't even get me started about the women having her young baby laying asleep on a sewer grate, while she is begging for money. She had it strategically place so you nearly stepped on it when passing. That one bothered me as I went stumbling along the walkway. :o

so just got back - was on suk and from 43 to 49 (did not go any higher so cant say beyond that) they have resurfaced the sidewalks

finally. looks like they are going to keep movin as well so good news

they still need a top coat but they are level at least :o

I was just thinking I should post about the place today. It makes Bangkok look like the worst part of the 3rd world. I thought the Thais were concerned about appearances- perhaps there's a plan to refinish everything later and that's why they're putting it off? Incidentally, the shoddy work and devastation go all the way up to On Nut (Soi 81) if not farther.