Job For The Wife Worth 40k A Month

Hi all

In one of the other topics, it was mentioned that to qualify for the 40 k a month for a visa extension, it is possible to pay ones wife so she can pay the tax and get the appropriate papers to show the immigration.

Does anyone have experience of trying this. Can you pay the wife for the post of,say, housekeeper or cleaner/cook etc. I know 40k a month would be well above the norm for this kind of work, but if it gets round the problem, why not.

What paperwork is needed to pay the tax and do you need to register for it.

Any help on this would be gratefully recieved. I am under 50 and dont have the grandfather rights on the 400k option. Dont really want to be going to Singapore once a year.

Thanks

If you go the company way I you might have a chance...

You don't even have to be a shareholder in the company.

Just need to be careful to pay all the bills! Company tax, VAT, her personal income tax (monthly withholding, end of year balance), her social fund contributions...

And she'd better be employed for quite a while before you apply for the extensions...

She would only need to show her tax slips to prove her income...

Quite a neat share of your money would go to the tax man instead of staying in the family though :o

Good point about paying her for a while before applying. Mine is due in Jan so I guess not enough time. I am still going to try the UK embassy to get a letter confirming my income but as it is a work related salary, not a pension, I dont know if they will do it.

Its so much bloody hassle this, seeing as I more than qualify for the rules. If that doesnt work then I guess its off to Singapore again.

The costs are not really that you would "lose"a portion of her salary in taxes but the much greater cost of running a company. If you can do it without the company then it is a good idea. It also has the advantage that you can establish a financial history for her where you would, at some future time, be able to apply for a loan to purchase a house or land.

One thing you all should be very, VERY aware of is that the ONE and ONLY thing that'll matter to the first 2-3 levels of officials your application must pass through before being accepted as acceptable for being passed on to those superior levels where independent thinking might come into effect ... is that your application (together with its stipulated supporting papers) complies fully and unquestionably with the rules (as they're spelled in Thai in the rulebook, your assigned official is trying to understand).

Basically, it's quite fruitless trying to setup some sneaky arrangement, that isn't even mentioned in the lower levels' rulebook ... You have to go from the opposite direction: What's explicitly written in the rulebook? And how does I modify my situation to comply with that rulebook?

Talking tax papers: Any employee must have an employer, that withholds and reports his/her tax withheld tax every month. This employer has to be recognized as a legal employer according to Thai laws ... What foreigner - having no legal paperworks in place besides visa and marriage license - can possibly expect to be legally recognized as an employer (in any country)?

Good point about paying her for a while before applying. Mine is due in Jan so I guess not enough time. I am still going to try the UK embassy to get a letter confirming my income but as it is a work related salary, not a pension, I dont know if they will do it.

Its so much bloody hassle this, seeing as I more than qualify for the rules. If that doesnt work then I guess its off to Singapore again.

The UK Embassy will provide you with the letter confirming that you have shown evidence of an income of XX per month.

I am going the pension way and need 65K the Embassy provides the letter even my income is work related and not a pension at this stage.

Good luck

I am still going to try the UK embassy to get a letter confirming my income but as it is a work related salary, not a pension, I dont know if they will do it.

No need to be off to Singapore you should be able to get your work related salary confimation letter from the UK embassy/consulate.

Received my salary (not pension) confirmation letter from UK consulate in about 3 hours with

1) A letter from my employer (me) stating position and salary.

2) 1 Western Union transfer slip showing more than the 40,000 a month as required.(although i had taken previous 3 months just incase)

3) 1,763 baht fee.

Really was so simple and no hassle at all.

Hope this helps Good Luck

Thanks guys.

I guess the job for the missus is out the window. Sounds like a lot of hassle.

Good news on the UK embassy. That has put my mind at ease a bit.

Next problem will be how long it takes to process the extension application. My vise runs out on the 8th jan but I have to leave for work on 24th December. Will 2 weeks be enough to process it?

Thanks guys.

I guess the job for the missus is out the window. Sounds like a lot of hassle.

Good news on the UK embassy. That has put my mind at ease a bit.

Next problem will be how long it takes to process the extension application. My vise runs out on the 8th jan but I have to leave for work on 24th December. Will 2 weeks be enough to process it?

Can only give you an account of how things happened for me but i had to wait almost 6 weeks.

I took my application for extension in on 23rd Feb and told to go back 4th April for a decision.

We had a visit from immigration on 27th of Feb to see our marriage was genuine although imm. officers only spoke with the neighbours wanting to know if i was a problem to the community.

I though that this was the deciding factor so went to get my decision a week later but told no dice and to come back 4th April as first told.

The current time seems to be 30 days or less for approval. Much faster than previously. So you would need to make application a bit more than a month before you are required to leave under normal circumstances.

Actually I would have though there are plenty of farang held companies who would be delighted to get a "free" employee on the books as I have the understanding the more Thai employees the easier the life for the company owner.

How much is income tax of 40K in Thailand anyway?

Edited by Phil Conners