Non O Questions

Currenty on a non Imm B visa of which last entry stamp is 24th June.

Will cross Poipet to get a 30 day tourist visa and then apply for a non Immigrant O visa, possibly in Vientianne.

Questions:

Can I apply for such a visa whilst on a tourist visa?

The regulations say I believe that I need a work permit before authorities will grant a non O, is this right? If not, can I apply for a work permit with a non immigrant O visa?

How long will the first Non O visa be valid for if granted?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I believe you mean to say you can stay in Thailand until June 24 on your B visa and will exit/return with a 30 day entry stamp (no visa). Then later go to Vientiane to apply for a non immigrant O visa?

On what basis are you qualified for this type of visa? Marriage?

If marriage, you do not need to have a job to obtain a visa but you will have to provide marriage certificate, copy of your wife's ID card and possibly her home register and/or letter from her. Good idea to take wife with you in this case.

Once you have visa it will be a single entry type valid for 90 day stay. You then extend this when you obtain work permit. If the 90 days are getting down you can try to extend it on the basis of looking for work. If you have qualifications (degree or experience) immigration may extend your stay up to 9 months for your job search.

If you have income from outside Thailand you could also use that/400k in bank as a basis for extension rather than work.

If you are married or are accompanying someone you depend on, you can get a Non-O. However, a Non-O will not allow you to work as it will be stamped 'employment prohibited'.

You will have to leave the country every 90 days and get stamped back in. However, if you are married, you can apply at Immigration to stay in the country for 12 months, without having to leave every 90 days.

If you are married or are accompanying someone you depend on, you can get a Non-O. However, a Non-O will not allow you to work as it will be stamped 'employment prohibited'.

I have not seen that; although I have many that are stamped "extension of stay not permitted" (but they can be).

You must have income/support reasons to extend your stay. You do not get to stay here 12 month by marriage alone.

You will have to leave the country every 90 days and get stamped back in. However, if you are married, you can apply at Immigration to stay in the country for 12 months, without having to leave every 90 days.

ONLY a tourist visa says ' EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED '