BREAKING: French woman on Koh Samui tests positive for COVID-19

Jonathan Fairfield

46 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The article in the OP says she's French and staid in ASQ, which is the paid-for "alternative" quarantine at a hotel. That's what my comment was based on, my apologies if that happens to be incorrect.

Yeah she has dual nationality from what I gather and I’m sure the free ASQ for Thais is at a camp and not in a hotel . I remember seeing a photo last week and it looked like a military base they were in possibly. Why waste more money on citizens when it can be used to get a good stereo for the submarines ????????????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

If you understand how a PCR test works, you will see why it is very accurate. You take a sample (provide it has been collected properly) and amplify it. If you have a certain viral load, you are considered infected. You can’t mess up seeing the genetic material in the sample! Keep in mind this only tests for active infections. If you have a low viral load, it won’t be detected. 

Low viral loads are detected at 45x Ct value that's why there are so many people testing positive without symptoms. In the UK if you test positive then you are a case whether you have a large or small viral load, most of the people tested have low viral loads if you use 45x, when the recommended amplification is 35x and under.

Edited by tribalfusion001

Isolate Koh Samui!

Wait at least until next year, before anyone should be aloud to enter this infected Island.

Also note, this is what happens when you let farangs into the country. Even with the quarantine they get the virus and spreads it, to the innocent Thai population.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:07 PM, Jeffr2 said:

they've admitted this for a long time.  As has pretty much every other country in the world.

PCR tests are not 100% accurate.  And this virus is not 100% known.

Thwey never admitted there are - as that woud require evidence of community transmisison. However, the goverment is cautious and states that it is a possibility, but the rate is very low. So low that noone is turning up to hospital with symptoms. Unless Thais are special and virtually everyone with infection are asymptomatic. That seems unlikely, as high rates of asymptomatic cases also result in symptomatic cases. 

49 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

No <deleted> Sherlock, did you really believe that there is no Covid-19 in Thailand or that they had so few cases and an increase in pneumonia by 600%? Get real, we are talking about a dictatorship that lovea to censur the truth.

Got a link for a 600% increase in pneumonia cases? Post it. 

1 hour ago, DjSilver said:

No <deleted> Sherlock, did you really believe that there is no Covid-19 in Thailand or that they had so few cases and an increase in pneumonia by 600%? Get real, we are talking about a dictatorship that lovea to censur the truth.

Did you not get the sarcasm in my comment!

ok I think the Thai looney tune government should make it 28 day quarantine and keep the country shut for ever, there is no requirement for tourists and the Thai people can start eating grass and leaves... let the economy be crushed to utter oblivion because 1 person tested positive with the PCR ‘dodgy’ test .... awesome... meanwhile 1000’s die due to the lack of medical care... This cornetto virus is 

, by proxy... killing so many innocent people... takes the statement of collateral damage to an all new level...

Edited by mrmrmred

According to the WHO the mortality rate on SarsCov2 is 0.23% !!!

Meta study based on 51 studies !!!

... so what is actually so dangerous about this Covid-19 ?

There is no over mortality anywhere in the world this year ... and still everybody believes the corpses are piling up everywhere.

The CDC reduced their numbers by over 90% !!! It's just nowhere in the media - still it's on their homepage.

The PCR test is a bad joke for testing for viruses according to it's inventor ! [Sadly he died last year]

.... but it's on Facebook so it must be true ????

There are 60,000 cases of dengue in Thailand this year with 40 deaths ... 3,000 cases of covid with 60 deaths !

Difference: Covid is all over the place everywhere you look !!!

Just fall for it and allow Governments to treat you like second class slaves ... and live in fear for the rest of your days !!!

"Give me liberty or give me death" like a very famous man once said !!! ... liberties are gone already

Edited by brain150
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, brain150 said:

According to the WHO the mortality rate on SarsCov2 is 0.23% !!!

Meta study based on 51 studies !!!

... so what is actually so dangerous about this Covid-19 ?

There is no over mortality anywhere in the world this year ... and still everybody believes the corpses are piling up everywhere.

The CDC reduced their numbers by over 90% !!! It's just nowhere in the media - still it's on their homepage.

The PCR test is a bad joke for testing for viruses according to it's inventor ! [Sadly he died last year]

.... but it's on Facebook so it must be true ????

There are 60,000 cases of dengue in Thailand this year with 40 deaths ... 3,000 cases of covid with 60 deaths !

Difference: Covid is all over the place everywhere you look !!!

Just fall for it and allow Governments to treat you like second class slaves ... and live in fear for the rest of your days !!!

"Give me liberty or give me death" like a very famous man once said !!! ... liberties are gone already

I guess there is still plenty of Tin foil to be bought for those special hat wearers, it just never amazes me of those who believe in conspiracy theories.  Guess I should buy stock in a Tin Foil manufacturing company.  I could be rich based upon those needing new headwear. 

How was she allowed to enter as a French citizen in the first place?

I was under the impression that borders were closed except for diplomats and people with work permits. 

STV only had first arrivals this week from China?

Something is missing from the story. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Thwey never admitted there are - as that woud require evidence of community transmisison. However, the goverment is cautious and states that it is a possibility, but the rate is very low. So low that noone is turning up to hospital with symptoms. Unless Thais are special and virtually everyone with infection are asymptomatic. That seems unlikely, as high rates of asymptomatic cases also result in symptomatic cases. 

The same situation (actually lower cases) exists in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. 

Why would these 4 countries have such low infections when they allowed Chinese to visit in December to March (Vietnam being an exception to that)?

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Mullis -- who died before COVID was ever identified -- never said anything of the sort.

What makes you think Thailand is using a high amplification? And not factoring amplification into its diagnostics?  In fact prior announcements have done exactly that, i.e. specified when the amplification was such that the person was unlikley to have live virus present.

Note that you will not get a positive PCR result at higher amplifications unless the person has at some point had COVID and still retains some of the virus's genetic material. No amount of amplification will cause a positive result otherwise.

Let's just take at face value the statement from the medical moderator in this forum that the specificity of the PCR test for Covid is 95% and that by repeating the test it becomes 99.75% percent.  That implies that for every 10000 people you test that you'd get "only" 25 false positives.  There are roughly 60 million people in Thailand, so it you tested everyone there should be 150,000 positives just due to the specificity of the test being less than 100%. That compares with the official number of there having been about 3700 cases in Thailand.  So in that sense Trump might have a point about it not being a good thing to test everyone; if Thailand tested more than just those showing symptoms or those who recently entered Thailand they'd have tens of thousands of cases instead of only a few thousand.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of people seem so hung up on the ’tourist’ word used. Are we not already familiar with the highly erroneous announcements and clumsy reporting of basic facts?.  It's obvious this lady is not a tourist. She will have had to enter on a Non-Imm visa either through work or being a spouse to or parent of a Thai national (or other requirements). 

The French lady’s visa status is superfluous to the story at hand which is that someone has tested positive after being released from quarantine.

Actually, the status is relevant.  The reporting is biased toward only foreigners carrying the virus while Thais could never be the reason for the infection. 

If she had dual citizenship, it may explain how she even was allowed to enter in the first place

You already see the calls to ban European tourists until Covid is eradicated 

sure... if they don't test much in the country, they will never know how deep population are infected. I already know two Thai friends (who drink to much and was sick and fragile because of that) die with breath distress who was not tested for COVID.

Fact is that not to much people die because of COVID. Only the one who are fragile or with an already health problem or very old can die from COVID. So it may have a lot of infected people in Thailand population who never know they had or they are infected. In my own country, many are infected and tested positive but no symptoms (nothing at all !), the older i know with COVID has 84 years old and no symptom.

Can wee, please look at facts instead of fear and deny problem ? This COVID story is looking like a big world fear contamination more than a body health major problem for life.

So yes, the woman should be infected in Thailand...

If she was in Lao (where only  people are infected if we trust their governanment), she would probably have COVID infection the same... everywhere around the world.

And then... what else ?

COVID is the virus of the fear, not a real pandemic story.

But why ? Can we trust a leadership in panic ? Or is there something other we don't know about ?

8 hours ago, hioctane said:

Probably. They can also look at the genetic signature of the virus and see what strain it came from.

5-7 days is only an average incubation period. It can be more or less.

Surprised your the only person in the thread to mention determing the strain might shed light on this.

• Like 1

A lot of people have covid here. This is one of the top Chinese tourist destinations. Why the elderly do not seem to be as affected we don't know. But there is no way there is very little covid in Thailand. Makes perfect sense here, so quarantined and got it from a local, as she was tested and more under scrutiny. 

• Like 1

How did she get into Thailand in the first place in September STV was not around then. I thought all borders & flights were closed. Especially from Europe & France in particular. Also I understood that Thai Airways were not flying. One other thing that I find quite amazing of all the positive cases found recently in Thailand no one connected to them, family or other have tested positive quite unique really. Perhaps test kits aren't any good which would defeat the object. I have read recently that Australian Scientists have found that warmer temps do make a difference to the spread idea temperature to spread is around 68degrees F. higher temps reduce the spread. Who knows..

Edited by les1
Additional info'

Sounds like she returned as a Thai National, she does have dual citizenship it sounds like.  If she is Thai she could return without a STV and her husband and child probably followed on an O visa based upon Marriage and parentage.

So how did this woman catch the virus, is she an anti-masker, or is she one of those who

have to hug everyone they meet up with.  Having no morals, she goes shopping with a fever,

how uncaring and callous. I hope that no one else has gotten sick because of her.

Geezer

13 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

First question that comes to mind is how a French tourist can arrive to Thailand before any other tourists were allowed in?? I've read this news from many sources and seen no explanation.

Thai national with French citizenship. Returned as a Thai and her husband and child came as well on the right visas. Thats how I read the info.  They live on Samui, not tourists.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Note that you will not get a positive PCR result at higher amplifications unless the person has at some point had COVID and still retains some of the virus's genetic material. No amount of amplification will cause a positive result otherwise.

That's going to be a massive problem for Thailand though isn't it? Because a high percentage of the European, middle Eastern and Indian population have had covid so could potentially test positive, even though they're fully recovered and noninfectious. They need tourists from those regions to come back soon and don't want to be creating these unnecessary hurdles.

Edited by edwardandtubs

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like she returned as a Thai National, she does have dual citizenship it sounds like.  If she is Thai she could return without a STV and her husband and child probably followed on an O visa based upon Marriage and parentage.

Yes I have heard she is Thai and the husband is French

• Like 2