BREAKING: French woman on Koh Samui tests positive for COVID-19

Jonathan Fairfield

Nobody has ever said that 14 days is the maximum possible incubation period for Covid-19. It's always been recognised that sometimes (about 1 in 100 cases) it takes longer than that to develop. See info below from webmd.com:

On average, symptoms showed up in the newly infected person about 5 days after contact. Rarely, symptoms appeared as soon as 2 days after exposure. Most people with symptoms had them by day 12. And most of the other ill people were sick by day 14. In rare cases, symptoms can show up after 14 days. Researchers think this happens with about 1 out of every 100 people.

Assuming that there have been enough cases of Covid-19 in people in quarantine in Thailand (and I know there have been a bunch of them) then it's entirely possible that she represents that 1 in 100 chance.

In fact, according to info on the Worldometer site:

The incubation period has been found to be as long as 24 days (range: 0-24 days; median: 3.0 days) in a study published on February 9. 

10 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Nobody has ever said that 14 days is the maximum possible incubation period for Covid-19. It's always been recognised that sometimes (about 1 in 100 cases) it takes longer than that to develop.

99% will be 14 days or less

95% 10 days or less

So a 14 day quarantine will miss 1% of the infected and a 10 day Quarantine, 5%

Now what that translates to in terms of numbers depends on how many infected there were to begin with. For people coming from places with little or no COVID, the difference between 14 and 10 days quarantine is going to be negligible,  But coming from areas with ongoing COVID transmission, can add up.

This lady apparently came from Limoges, very little COVID transmission there. The Thai health authorities apparently believe she got infected in Thailand.

42 minutes ago, Lou Provencaou said:

I have a very good reason to come to Thailand (to participate a court case) but cannot come as my country, France, is not qualified to apply for that 14 days quarantine visa due to too much Covid infections in France. How could she apply for that visa as a French? Living in a Covid free country or am I missing something about how to apply?

My personnal case (to attend a court case or a convocation by an attorney or a court...) is not given in all the reasons that qualify you to apply for that visa; at my great despair...

The only visa type that is unavailabe to French people is the STV

Other types allowed in, can come from any country

If you are 50, or married to a Thai, or emplyed here (with work permit etc) you can come.

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I have done enough reading from reputable sources, one of which showed the inventor of the PCR tests stating that they cannot detect Covid-19 on their own, any dead cells from past viruses would flag a positive result, so what do you make of that ?

Let's make it clear. The inventor of PCR tests first of all didn't invent them for CoViD-19 testing. Says it all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kerouacaurus said:

Let's make it clear. The inventor of PCR tests first of all didn't invent them for CoViD-19 testing. Says it all.

A very distorted and misleading statement.

PCR is a technique for amplifying small quantities of genetic material so that it is easier to detect.

There are different  PCR tests for different viruses. All of them use the same amplication technique but then examine for different bits of genetic material specific to different pathogens.

A statement by the  person who developed the PCR amplification technique, which tried to explain this, is being distorted by fringe media and conspiracy sites to make it sound like the COVID PCR test is not designed to detect COVID, which is totally false.

COVID PCR is quire specifically designed to detect genetic material from the COVID virus. Just as an HIV PCR is designed to detect genetic material from the HIV virus.

What is generic is only the amplification technique.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Caldera said:

So she most likely got infected while quarantined, considering the timeline. Not exactly a good advertisement for Thailand's pricy quarantine facilities!

She went to the basic free state quarantine from what I gather , her husband went to a hotel as he is not Thai .

2 minutes ago, simtemple said:

Nothing in the article cited casts doubt on the tests.

The tests have a known level of reliability. Sensitivity is about 70% (if done by nasal swab; higher if done by more  invasive methods e.g. bronchial washings).  Specificity is about 95%.

False positives are extremely rare especially given the standard practice of repeating a positive test (i.e. to be considered positive, have to test positive twice in a row), False negatives are more common but of course with repeat testing odds go down. Even so, with say 2 negative tests, there is still a 9% chance that they missed an infection.

It has always been known that about 1% of people have more than a  14 day incubation period.  And that false negative results occur, especially in people with low viral loads.

She now becomes the poster-girl for anti-foreigner Covid-based fear-mongering that will affect most of the population of Thailand.  And now all farangs are again looked on with suspicion. 

This is the primary reason I'd never willingly get tested in Thailand.  If you pop positive you'd be the nation's number 1 talking point and whipping boy whether you are contagious or not.  No thanks.
We have enough misery just being farangs living in a xenophobic country.

• Like 2

The world is locking down over faulty PCR tests, with a 90% false positive rate!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/29/health/coronavirus-testing.html

"In three sets of testing data that include cycle thresholds, compiled by officials in Massachusetts, New York and Nevada, up to 90 percent of people testing positive carried barely any virus, a review by The Times found."

https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.20.265892.pdf

Then the virus has an overall fatality rate of 0.23%.
For people under 70 years, it's 0.05%

Covid cured the flu.
https://ipac-canada.org/influenza-resources.php

A few days ago, the number for 2020 was 6!

Just let this virus in, teach people about their immune system, or not, but stop this masquerade.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

French tourist develops Covid-19 symptoms after completing mandatory quarantine

In other news Thai "experts" and the Department of Disease Control call for mandatory quarantines to be reduced to 10 days.  Others say, "Why not none at all!"

13 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

And you really think they abide by it ? ????

I've been informed by a member of the provincial health department a car will meet me at my local airport, test and deliver me to my accommodation followed by daily visits by medical staff to check my temperature. I know of 2 people currently undergoing home quarantine in my province.

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Which right wing media outlets have stated that the USA has a vaccine ?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/usa-today-s-experts-say-securing-a-covid-19-vaccine-in-record-time-could-be-easy-but-distributing-it-won-t-be/ar-BB1afr3i

Science is making incredible progress toward a COVID-19 vaccine, but as approval nears – potentially as early as December – worry has shifted to the complexity of distribution.

However, they are saying it is now coming in just a matter of possibly 6 to 8 weeks

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/10/21/covid-vaccine-alex-azar-cdc-hhs-timeline/3720278001/

At least one COVID-19 vaccine should be available as soon as the end of this year, and the general public should be able to get vaccinated by early spring, Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said Wednesday.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Farma said:

I've been informed by a member of the provincial health department a car will meet me at my local airport, test and deliver me to my accommodation followed by daily visits by medical staff to check my temperature. I know of 2 people currently undergoing home quarantine in my province.

You're Farang I presume ? You're tainted with Covid, not like those clean Thais ????

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

She went to the basic free state quarantine from what I gather , her husband went to a hotel as he is not Thai .

The article in the OP says she's French and staid in ASQ, which is the paid-for "alternative" quarantine at a hotel. That's what my comment was based on, my apologies if that happens to be incorrect.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

A very distorted and misleading statement.

PCR is a technique for amplifying small quantities of genetic material so that it is easier to detect.

There are different  PCR tests for different viruses. All of them use the same amplication technique but then examine for different bits of genetic material specific to different pathogens.

A statement by the  person who developed the PCR amplification technique, which tried to explain this, is being distorted by fringe media and conspiracy sites to make it sound like the COVID PCR test is not designed to detect COVID, which is totally false.

COVID PCR is quire specifically designed to detect genetic material from the COVID virus. Just as an HIV PCR is designed to detect genetic material from the HIV virus.

What is generic is only the amplification technique.

I think the poster was meaning that Dr Mullis said you can anything if you look hard enough with PCR. The high amplication Ct value being used is finding too many cases, this woman in Koh Samui has symptoms, but Europe's mass testing is just finding lots of positive cases.

1 hour ago, Kerouacaurus said:

Lets also make it clear that the inventor of the Covid Kerry Mullis died in August of 2019, before Covid 19 appeared on the radar, so stop with the false narratives. 

As you can see, Dr Mullis died, aged 74, in August 2019, four months before the first signs of the novel coronavirus outbreak in China and six months before the World Health Organisation named the disease COVID-19, making it impossible for the late doctor to have spoken about COVID-19.  

Additionally, he invented the PCR test and was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1993 for his invention of  Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), a laboratory method used to make a large number of copies of short sections of DNA from a very small sample of genetic material, enabling specific genes of interest to be detected or measured.

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I know two people who got in the USA. They got sick.... and then they got better. Life goes on, remember people?

And I know several people in the UK that got Sick

They sadly passed away. Life did not go on for them, or their Families and Loved ones.

Remember People ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

If you understand how a PCR test works, you will see why it is very accurate. You take a sample (provide it has been collected properly) and amplify it. If you have a certain viral load, you are considered infected. You can’t mess up seeing the genetic material in the sample! Keep in mind this only tests for active infections. If you have a low viral load, it won’t be detected. 

Is the math different because of that?  Previously it was stated by the medical expert in this group that the specificity of the test is 95%.  Based upon your understanding of the test, is it somehow more accurate than what a 95% specificity would suggest?