Taking My Mobile To The U.k

marshbags

I am curious about what the charges may be to utilise my mobile in the U.K. as i do not have my U.K. land line connected.

Is it possible to rent one for a 1 month period as an alternative and if so is anyone familiar with the fees ect.

Thank you in advance if anyone can provide information.

marshbags :o

AIS has a page about International roaming on their web site, it is under services,

unfortunately they do not display urls so I cannot give you a direct link.

If you plan to make more than just the odd call, then I suggest you buy a UK

sim card and out it in your phone. It is a cheaper option, not that UK mobile calls are cheap,

far from it.

I used Orange when I was over there a couple of years back.

I doubt you will be able to get a landline installed for just one month,

AIS has a page about International roaming on their web site, it is under services,

unfortunately they do not display urls so I cannot give you a direct link.

If you plan to make more than just the odd call, then I suggest you buy a UK

sim card and out it in your phone. It is a cheaper option, not that UK mobile calls are cheap,

far from it.

I used Orange when I was over there a couple of years back.

I doubt you will be able to get a landline installed for just one month,

Thanks for the information Astral,

I tried enquiring at the local AIS outlet but communication was difficult due to limited Thai and English we had between us.

I reckon i,ll have to use the phonecard facilities that are available and leave the mobile in Thaialnd.

I,ll ask around when i get there and locate where to purchase them.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Hi Marshbags

I can only talk about AIS .

I did apply for a roaming with them , I think the cost was under 2000 bahts ( that was 4 years ago )

I took the phone to china / Vietnam / Morocco / France / Australia / UK , I find the calls I was making expensive in the pass, kind of double cost.

BUT .. My last trip in France and Australia was much cheaper as before, kind of normal rates plus a bit of extra .

But access AIS for more info, as I forgot how much .

YES locals calls will be expensive , most of my calls was international

Edited by simcity

You can email AIS/1-2-Call at [email protected] and they will send you the tariff sheets, instructions and details for international roaming. The one's I have are almost 2 years old. You also have to register for international roaming, at no charge. IIRC, the dialing was a bit kludgy, you basically iniatated an SMS (maybe *131*telephone number#) and then waited for a ring-back. Charges are generally pretty high, 40-60 baht/min. A local SIM is always the best option. When roaming internationally, with 1-2-Call you can receive calls, and send/receive SMS's, for a fee. I actually carry two phones, and return in-bound calls made to my 1-2-Call on my other 'local' SIM phone. So if I am in the U.S.A. and someone in Thailand calls my phone at 08n nnn nnnn, it rings through to the U.S.A. I reply with an SMS, and then call back on the other phone. International roaming is also available for GPRS, but I am not familiar with the details.