Selling Car on Tourist Visa

roufma

Dear folks,

I currently have a B-visa (+work permit) and my wife and daughter both hold Non-O, following my visa. I may need to cancel my B-visa for taking a new job that is outside Thailand. I understand, that will automatically cancel my wife and daughter’s visa too.

Now, I have a bank financed Car here. If I can not sell it right now, can I come back later with a tourist visa and will I still be able to sell my car off?

Or, do I have to sell the car off, before my Non-B visa is cancelled?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Why cancel the visa, it remains valid until the expiry date... or do you mean permission to stay extension  ?

You can sell the vehicle whilst on a tourist visa.

As soon as one's work permit is cancelled (the org will do it at once when someone leaves), the associated visa gets cancelled automatically. Great to know that it can still be sold while on Tourist visa tough. 

17 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

You need a Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration to sell the car if it is your name and I don't think you can get the certificate on a tourist visa.

Not true.

A lot of people believe an Affirmation of Residence document is required to sell a car. A lot of websites also indicate this. I also used to believe this was the case after reading so many websites on the subject when I was selling my car back in 2016. I went through the hassle of getting the Affirmation of Residence document to sell my car - it turns out the Affirmation of residence document was never necessary (transferring in Bangkok at least).

Thus: An Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy, (or Letter of Proof of Address from Immigration / Your yellow house book) is require to register a car in your name, but not to sell your car. 

I have sold 1 motorcycle and 2 cars over the last 4 years and was not required to show any proof of residence. 

In the past 2 years I have sold a car and a motorcycle without being present at the DLT - the sale was done at my apartment:

- cash was handed over (taken to a nearby bank and counted).

- A Power of Attorney for sale of vehicle document filled

- Signed Copies of passport and current visa (any visa, or visa exemption stamp is ok),

- Completed Vehicle Transfer Application form.

- Signed Blue Car Book. 

IF you are accompanying the seller to the DLT - all thats required is:

- Money handed over (cash or cashiers check verified by the bank)

- Signed PhotoCopy of your passport and current visa (any visa, or visa exemption stamp is ok) and your

- Signed Blue Car Book. 

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not true.

A lot of people believe an Affirmation of Residence document is required to sell a car. A lot of websites also indicate this. I also used to believe this was the case after reading so many websites on the subject when I was selling my car back in 2016. I went through the hassle of getting the Affirmation of Residence document to sell my car - it turns out the Affirmation of residence document was never necessary (transferring in Bangkok at least).

Thus: An Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy, (or Letter of Proof of Address from Immigration / Your yellow house book) is require to register a car in your name, but not to sell your car. 

I have sold 1 motorcycle and 2 cars over the last 4 years and was not required to show any proof of residence. 

In the past 2 years I have sold a car and a motorcycle without being present at the DLT - the sale was done at my apartment:

- cash was handed over (taken to a nearby bank and counted).

- A Power of Attorney for sale of vehicle document filled

- Signed Copies of passport and current visa (any visa, or visa exemption stamp is ok),

- Signed Blue Car Book. 

IF you are accompanying the seller to the DLT - all thats required is:

- Money handed over (cash or cashiers check verified by the bank)

- Signed PhotoCopy of your passport and current visa (any visa, or visa exemption stamp is ok) and your

- Signed Blue Car Book. 

I bough and sold 4 cars in my name in the 14 years of residency here and I needed a Letter of Residency each time I bough and sold a car. Just my experience.