FDA allays fears about flu vaccine imports after deaths reported in South Korea

webfact

FDA allays fears about flu vaccine imports after deaths reported in South Korea

By THE NATION

800_0a340edc4083e44.jpg?v=1604296934

Following recent reports that 59 South Koreans had died after being injected with influenza vaccines, the Thai Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that the vaccine in question had never been imported for use in Thailand.

FDA deputy secretary-general Dr Surachoke Tangwiwat urged people not to panic and suggested that they receive the vaccine once a year to ensure effective prevention of the flu pandemic.

According to Hong Kong newspaper South China Morning Post, 59 post-vaccination deaths have been reported in South Korea, mostly involving those in their 60s or older with pre-existing health conditions. Alarmist news headlines since the first death was reported on October 16 have deterred many South Koreans from getting vaccinated.

640_cj6ieab7bd6fgjbg9hb7h.jpg

“Vaccines that we import from South Korea are of a different kind from the one in the news. The FDA and Department of Medical Sciences perform extensive tests before allowing imported drugs to be used domestically,” he said. “The FDA will monitor the situation closely and will immediately recall any vaccines from the market if there are signs that they can be dangerous to users.”

Surachoke added that the deaths in South Korea could be a result of chronic diseases of the patients, as the deceased had received vaccines from different manufacturers. “Moreover, the death rate in this case is still low, while the local government has urged South Koreans to trust health authorities, calling for widespread vaccinations to avoid a twin pandemic of flu and Covid-19,” he added.

“People should not panic and still get vaccinated against influenza once a year,” added Surachoke. “Please trust in FDA’s quality control and health surveillance capability. If something goes wrong, we will alert the public immediately.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397187

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-02

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A friend of mine and his wife both living in UK have the flu jab every year via the local clinic, they both contract flu each winter.

I haven't had a flu jab since school, never had flu since then either, in the Uk or here.

It's not like a flu vaccine will make you immune. 

Some don't develop anti bodies, and You don't get a vaccination that covers all types. 

Did you friends undergo a test to see if they actually develop anti bodies. If not they could get 100 flu shots and not one would work. 

I had my first flushot ever this year (I'm 52) but that was just to lower the possibility to get the flu and covid 19 at the same time, which could complicate things.

Had the flu last November and then again 2 months later in January this year, so I hope I dodge it this time. 

Edited by Virt

Normal Flu Shot is not recommended nor as affective for those over 64, according to Global Standards. After calling around and local hospitals, Incomprehensibly and sadly, the Thai FDA still hasn't allowed or approved of the High-Dose Senior Vaccine, commonly available and made by the same company and others, Sanofi Pasteur which makes the one used here. It is specially formulated 3 times stronger and more effective. Maybe because those who control it, are young and don't have older relatives? They haven't had it here in the past years either. Time to change this! Insist to your Doctors! Aren't us 'Elders' worth protecting as well, to reduce mortality risks and suffering, for us, especially vulnerable to a potential future 'second wave' of Covid??  If enough people ask for it, perhaps they will do the needful. Would gladly pay extra, if anyone knows where one can order it. Seems it needs to be kept cool, even if allowed to import online? 

• Confused 1

"Vaccination is the implantation of disease.  Thai is its admitted purpose.  Health is the ideal state, not disease.  Every pathogenic disturbance introduced via vaccine wastes and  lowers the vital powers and thus diminishes your remaining natural resisting capacity.  Person weakened by disease yield more readily to infection than healthy persons."

Dr. J W Hodge in the book The Vaccination Superstition

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Virt said:

It's not like a flu vaccine will make you immune. 

Some don't develop anti bodies, and You don't get a vaccination that covers all types. 

Did you friends undergo a test to see if they actually develop anti bodies. If not they could get 100 flu shots and not one would work. 

I had my first flushot ever this year (I'm 52) but that was just to lower the possibility to get the flu and covid 19 at the same time, which could complicate things.

Had the flu last November and then again 2 months later in January this year, so I hope I dodge it this time. 

Same as you - I'm having my first one ever next week, for exactly the same reasons as you but 13 years older.

Given that the flu shot is a proven, tested one, my view is it won't hurt even if it does no good. A new, hastily tested Covid one may cause me to consider more.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

30 odd years living here and i have never had the flu, when living

in the West nearly every year,must be something in the water????

regards worgeordie

10 + UV, the heat and staying outside all year round could probably explain a lot of it. 

Let me win the lottery and I would gladly move to Thailand and try out the theory ????

32 minutes ago, Virt said:

10 + UV, the heat and staying outside all year round could probably explain a lot of it. 

Let me win the lottery and I would gladly move to Thailand and try out the theory ????

Thailands new 'quality' tourists .. vaccinated lottery winners only admitted to the 'pure' kingdom 

• Haha 1