Repatriation vs. semi-commercial flights

Can non-Thai nationals take repatriation flights or semi-commercial flights?  If so, is there an advantage of one over the other?   I have seen statements that non-Thais MUST take repatriation flights and that ONLY THAIS can take repatriation flights.  And semi-commercial flights seem less sure.  Anyone know?

• Thanks 1

From some countries the only flights currently operating into Thailand are repatriation flights.

But there are a few normal commercial flights operating to Thailand from some countries, mostly with reduced/much reduced frequency.

On many repatriation flights most (or all) of the passengers are Thai but on some flights there are some foreigners who have permission to join repat. flights because they hold Thai work permits, or they are Thai PR holders and maybe foreigners with some other specific types of visas (I'm not sure of these details, other TV members probably have the full current details on this or the local Thai embassy will know).

To get full details call the Thai Embassy in the country where you are located and ask about the repatriation flights and ask what documents are required, Covid 19 tests and health insurance is required.

The Repatriation flights mostly have economy and business seats, both classes are more expensive than normal scheduled commercial flights. 

15 hours ago, scorecard said:

From some countries the only flights currently operating into Thailand are repatriation flights.

Coincidentally I just got an email from Qatar saying they will operate 2 daily flights into Bangkok. They call them 'semi-commercial', and Qatar claim to be partnering with Bangkok Hotels to offer ASQ packages.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Coincidentally I just got an email from Qatar saying they will operate 2 daily flights into Bangkok. They call them 'semi-commercial', and Qatar claim to be partnering with Bangkok Hotels to offer ASQ packages.

I just checked the price for https://www.grandecentrepointterminal21.com/bangkok/alternate-state-quarantine-package/ and the price using the link from Qatar is 4K cheaper for the Grand Suite at 75K Baht. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:10 AM, habuspasha said:

Can non-Thai nationals take repatriation flights or semi-commercial flights?  If so, is there an advantage of one over the other?   I have seen statements that non-Thais MUST take repatriation flights and that ONLY THAIS can take repatriation flights.  And semi-commercial flights seem less sure.  Anyone know?

Yes, non Thais can and do take repatriation flights booked through the Thai Embassy/Consulate. Only way I know of to get off an airplane in Thailand. Personally never heard of a semi-commercial flight.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The "Semi-commercial Flights" are available from some countries.

"Semi-commercial flights (For the availability and flights information, please contact the airlines directly)

At present, certain air operators are permitted to operate semi-commercial flights to Thailand, including Emirates Airlines/ Etihad Airways / Qatar Airways/ Singapore Airlines/ EVA Air / Cathay Pacific / Lufthansa / Swiss Air / Austrian Airlines / Thai Airways/ Thai Smile/ Korean Air/ China Airlines/ Spring Airlines/ China Southern Airlines/ Lucky Air/ China Eastern Airlines/ Shanghai Airlines/ China Air/ Juneyao Air/ Philippine Airlines/ Shenzhen Airline/ Gulf Air"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

Thanks for the education ubonjoe!

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The "Semi-commercial Flights" are available from some countries.

"Semi-commercial flights (For the availability and flights information, please contact the airlines directly)

At present, certain air operators are permitted to operate semi-commercial flights to Thailand, including Emirates Airlines/ Etihad Airways / Qatar Airways/ Singapore Airlines/ EVA Air / Cathay Pacific / Lufthansa / Swiss Air / Austrian Airlines / Thai Airways/ Thai Smile/ Korean Air/ China Airlines/ Spring Airlines/ China Southern Airlines/ Lucky Air/ China Eastern Airlines/ Shanghai Airlines/ China Air/ Juneyao Air/ Philippine Airlines/ Shenzhen Airline/ Gulf Air"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

The 3 Middle East airlines fly indirect via their hubs and are offering daily flights even from Manchester (UK) .I know of no reason that prevents or disadvantages you from using that rather than Heathrow- anyone know different or have experience given I’m in Manchester ,so convenient.? 
A BA captain friend of mine warns of many cancellations and changes to his work rota/destinations with the new lockdown restrictions today. 

The two people I know that took repatriation flights said that almost every seat was full on the plane.  I have a semi-comercial flight booked via BHM-DFW-Doha-Bkk and the flight looks almost empty according the Qatar's seat assignment app.  That could be one benefit to a non repatriation flight.  Also for me, I was able to book from a small city connecting in Dallas all through Qatar airways, so when I had to change my flight, while waiting for the COE one phone call changed everything.   The repatriation flights listed on the embassy website were only available thought a few of the major cities.  And the semi-commercial flight was 300 dollars cheaper.

When I started the process there were no semi commercial flights available but I was told they started a few weeks ago.

My flight is now scheduled for next week it was originally for today.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I can't turn up any info on this either through a general search or one on their site except with the avanti atrium hotel.  Would you be kind enough to post a link?

2 hours ago, Slip said:

I can't turn up any info on this either through a general search or one on their site except with the avanti atrium hotel.  Would you be kind enough to post a link?

Here's the Qatar link and the link to their sponsored ASQ hotels: https://www.qatarairways.com/en-th/travel-alerts/travel-to-thailand.html?cid=EMTH716410

The page has lots of info about the entire process and the current requirements but they note to always check the local embassy for the most up to date info.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:10 AM, habuspasha said:

I think they are one and the same, Thais are being flown back to Thailand using "repatriation flights" and the airline are using some vacant seats to allow others maybe on business or other reason to use the same flights.

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I think they are one and the same, Thais are being flown back to Thailand using "repatriation flights" and the airline are using some vacant seats to allow others maybe on business or other reason to use the same flights.

It depends upon the country where a person is traveling from.

In the UK the repatriation flights are done by Thai airways and the semi commercial flights done by other airlines.

In the US these are the repatriation flights.

"Would like to inform that now the embassy And all three consulates in the United States have received quota approval for sending Thais back from the United States. In November 2020, additional 8 flights for 1,400 Thais are scheduled to arrive in Thailand as follows:

• 1 Nov 2020 Eva Air 200 people
  • Nov 5, 2020 Asiana Airlines 100 people
  • 7 Nov 2020 Korean Air 100 people
  • 12 Nov 2020 Cathay Pacific 200 people
  • 14 Nov 2020 Qatar Airways 200 people
  • 19 Nov 2020 200 Asiana Airlines
  • 20 Nov 2020 All Nippon Airways 200 people
  • 28 Nov 2020 Korean Air 200 people"
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 3:39 AM, Slip said:

Link.

In addition, Qatar Airways has partnered with selected hotels in Bangkok to offer exclusive ASQ packages. Passengers can directly contact the following hotels to check availability and make reservation by showing a confirmed booking from Qatar Airways;

I booked my thai wife on such semi-commercial flight, with Qatar, from Copenhagen.

Booked a return flight at a very good price + (hopefully) reasonable ASQ, it could be same price as a repatriation flight, the only difference is that the latter is one way.

Of course, there will be some incertainty regarding reschedule/cancellation, but I check Flightradar every day and it seems that most of the flights do actually land in Bangkok.Last 7 flights(QR830), Doha to Bangkok, not even one on got cancelled, som of them had minor delays.Same for CPH - DOH, though two flights had been cancelled, not the last week, if I remember correctly.

Edited by drenddy
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, aigneisdevere said:

Most likely, these rules operate due to the limitations of Covid-19. Many countries have imposed restrictions on entry into the country for foreign nationals to protect the citizens of the country.

This topic was started in November of 2020. Everything mentioned in the OP is not required now.