Maradona

jellydog

I am surprised he turned 60 , considering he started sniffing coke already back in 1986, a drug addict for 20 + years  and later turned to alcohol.   RIP. 

My first memory of him was a friendly against Norway in 86 , just 2 months before the WC. I lived in Oslo back then and remember how popular he was when he arrived. Norway won 1-0 , a shock result and we could later joke about we beat the world champions . 

74d0ebea-40a7-4755-82d1-b4af9db21763?fit

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Always be remembered for being a cheat though , unsportsman like  and ungentlemanly conduct and not playing to the rules 

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

The man is not a legend.

He was a cheat and not worthy of the name legend.

And a bragging cheat to boot. He forfeited any right in my book to be labelled a footballing great in the light of that particularly despicable and blatant "Hand Of God" act of deception.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

TV bitterness is flowing as expected. Is it the fact he had more talent in his little toe nail than you all combined....

In '87 the man single-handedly took the equivalent of a modern day relegation battling Aston Villa to the title against a star studded Man City, and he did it while every defender in the league tried to kick 10 shades of <deleted> out of him. 

As a true football fan you cannot deny the man was an absolute football genius.  

No one is denying he was a great football player and I accept he was a better football player than I was , I never cheated , he did .

But yeah, he was a better football player than I was 

13 hours ago, jellydog said:

Huge news here of course. It is hard to explain the level of his fame here. He's about as close to a living god as you could imagine, even with all his nuttiness. Of course he's been living on borrowed time for quite a while.

Time for you to give up those powdery substances and return to a well run democratic country Jellybean....get your ticket to Bangkok booked!

30 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No one is denying he was a great football player and I accept he was a better football player than I was , I never cheated , he did .

But yeah, he was a better football player than I was 

Sour grapes from the Englandshire lot.

Brilliant player and a World Cup winner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Footballers cheat every match, every week, across the globe. How you managed to make my post about you is puzzling. ????????‍♂️

Most try to play within the rules , pushing the boundaries to get the advantage .

Outright cheats usually get booked / sent off .

In your post , you stated he had more talent than me , and I agreed with that

3 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

I see the spirit of Terry Butcher is alive and well in some of the comments that seem to reference his hand of God goal .. get over it , he followed it up with one of the greatest goals to ever grace a game of football .. 

The prima donna's of today's game who hit the deck like they've been shot from the stand , writhing in agony to leap from the deck like a newborn gazelle if the decision goes there way or continue writhing and shamming if it doesn't are equally worthy of the cheat tag .. 

Yes, those people who feign injury are also cheats 

4 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

TV bitterness is flowing as expected. Is it the fact he had more talent in his little toe nail than you all combined....

In '87 the man single-handedly took the equivalent of a modern day relegation battling Aston Villa to the title against a star studded Man City, and he did it while every defender in the league tried to kick 10 shades of <deleted> out of him. 

As a true football fan you cannot deny the man was an absolute football genius.  

Not bothered reading it but what is the general reason for the bitterness?

I think Maradona was probably the first football player I was ever aware of, him or Bryan Robson. 

I heard somebody mention the sense of expectancy when he was on the ball, and this is something I definately remember. Like Bob said the treatment the defenders used to dish out to him was unbelievable if put in the context of today.

Just a few months ago during lockdown I was watching some of his old games for Napoli, and it seemed like almost everything he did was sublime. I  also watched a documentary on him (very good one about his time in Naples). What came across was that he was a real team guy, that just wanted to win things and celebrate with his teammates. Of course he knew how good he was, and the responsibility on him, but he also came across as very down to earth, passionate guy.

RIP

• Like 2

He's biggest claim to fame was his failed drug test in the 1994 world cup in USA and other failed drug test if you think how corrupt La Liga used to be maybe he would have failed them all.

How many of his performances were drug induced? all of them I would say.

If it was anyone else you would be shouting from the rooftops ban him for life 

5 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Time for you to give up those powdery substances and return to a well run democratic country Jellybean....get your ticket to Bangkok booked!

I would have been there for a visit save for this <deleted> virus!! Sometime in 2021 for sure.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

No denying he was a brilliant football player and a World cup winner , but he was also a cheat .

I can accept losing fairly , just dont like cheats

cheating  IS a  moral relatively

In the 70/80's I saw PLENTY. Of players fired up by..  amphetamine?   seemed to be pretty acceptable att.. lynford Christie... Gained ?? X amount of seconds on his best. Almost  Overnight.. in the 80's /90's the Brazilian ronaldo bulked up so much that he was musculariy  unrecognisable..

Wenger introduced sugar soaked in liquid caffeine as half time topups

And today in the prem t I see trainers give  players pills and sniffy things  during the game in years I'm sure that'll be banned 

. My point is it's easy to make moral judgements in retrospect.. not so clear or easy at the time. Irrespective of his issues  .. he was one of THE all times great.. and should be remembered  as such..NOT for his problems..

3 hours ago, jellydog said:

I would have been there for a visit save for this <deleted> virus!! Sometime in 2021 for sure.

We gotta sink a cold one or two next year Jellybean....I'm an old man these days....not a dangerous wild animal any more.

Honest guv....!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

We gotta sink a cold one or two next year Jellybean....I'm an old man these days....not a dangerous wild animal any more.

Honest guv....!

I should be living in Thailand full time by then, so I'll see if I can pop over and give you a free plate of chips. Unless you don't like them given to you and you just like stealing mine of course ????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

He's biggest claim to fame was his failed drug test in the 1994 world cup in USA and other failed drug test if you think how corrupt La Liga used to be maybe he would have failed them all.

How many of his performances were drug induced? all of them I would say.

If it was anyone else you would be shouting from the rooftops ban him for life 

I don’t think many Olympians won gold medals on cocaine? You have to be careful with the “drugs cheat” label ... surely it doesn’t apply to recreational drug users? I don’t think heroin or cocaine improved anyone’s performance, quite the opposite. Maradona was no Lance Armstrong or Ben Johnson, who used performance enhancing drugs. Maradona was great despite abusing his body with recreational drugs.

I can understand the bitterness of some (not all) England fans, but the simple truth is that you weren’t going to win that game even if the “hand of God” incident didn’t happen. Get over it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Simply a footballing genius. He’s extremely unpopular in the UK firstly because he ‘cheated’ with the ‘hand of god incident’

I think "extremely" is probably way off richard. People who I know either don't care or are not overly bothered about that incident. It's one of those things that happens and most simply remember him for his absolute mastery of the game. It's more likely to be a minority who don't like him for that specific incident.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Not bothered reading it but what is the general reason for the bitterness?

Ex pats mate. especiallly UK ones  in Thailand   .. nothing better to do  than find fault and let it fester into hate   and honestly they don't even see it.. from my exp  NOT the most evolved social group..

• Like 2

I saw him Inn in a testimonial at White Hart lane l.. cant rememberr if it was Glenn hoddles or Stevie Perry man ...even so,  out of all the great players I've see,  greaves law Gaza  hoddle romario  Ronaldinho Mathews .blah de blah.   next to Besty.. who I have a long standing personal grudge against ..despite iit being a friendly for want of a better term seeing   maradona Goas  down as the biggest feather in my football watchin lifes hat...