Immigration home visit . Charge 2000 baht ? Right or wrong ?

Went to immigration yesterday to apply for 1st 1 year extension based on marriage. They phoned 30  minutes ago saying they will be here within the hour. Amongst other things they say we will have to pay 2000 for the home visit which is 100 k from their office.

Are we about to get ripped of or not ?

Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Oh come on - really? If it was really that he would get a receipt 

We all know what it really is don't we

do you honestly not know what an 'administrative fee' actually means in Thailand? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Farma said:

My wife works for a different govt ministry.

On their frequent inspection visits she is provided with a dept car and driver.

If using her private car for official visits she is paid a travel allowance.

I cant see immigration being any different.

They are Police and they are immigration, dealing with foreigners. Its obvious isn't it?  

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Went to immigration yesterday to apply for 1st 1 year extension based on marriage. They phoned 30  minutes ago saying they will be here within the hour. Amongst other things they say we will have to pay 2000 for the home visit which is 100 k from their office.

Thanks in advance

100km within one hour?

• Like 1

Well....they have called to say they will be here just before lunch ( what a surprise ) so I guess they will be looking for a free feed as well. That won't happen. As for the 2000 I will offer to drop the fee into their office tomorrow. Wife is now bust phoning friends to try to pack the house out a bit.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Let the wife sort it. It's how things work here.

Put it down to the cost of living so far from an Imm Off. I had to wait five weeks once for a Govt officer (not Imm Off) to come and do her job for us, it wasn't worth her effort until see saw a reward. Salaries are relatively low though she has a job for life and could care less. Appreciated the two bottles of J.Walker and 'expenses' we threw in her hamper, got the papers signed in no time.

• Like 2

For me in this day and age I would not risk anything as it is entirely up to them to make the judgement call of you are ok or you are not ok. It isn't right for then doing it, but then listen to your wife as they have all the points on their side and do not care about us one bit. You cannot prove they asked for gas money.