Immigration home visit . Charge 2000 baht ? Right or wrong ?

I was given an official receipt for the 1600 they extorted from me on the tm30 deal, four years ago.  And I was a condo owner, who voluntarily went to them, with no other need for services.  Doesn't make me feel one bit better about it and does doesnt make me think the receipt insured the money wasn't arbitrarily scarred by the officer in charge of the Hut, or had paid for the concession.  it was still a Hoffman ripoff.  In the case of the OP, I would just pay it..or even offer them a fill up on the Exxon card.

25 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was in a similar situation when I applied 4 years ago, however was told upfront that they had to pay for the petrol to visit us and 1,500 baht would cover it, wife was pi$$ed off, but I paid up, no point in getting them off side, been smooth sailing ever since, no issues, no further demands.

Now you can lock in your heels so to speak, but I see it as a cultural thing, e.g. corruption is at every level, you can accept it or not, the choice is yours, besides 1,500 baht to me meant I would have to give up a "short time" for once, I could live with that ????

giving up the short time probably pi$$ed off the wife more than the 1,500 baht - 555

10 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Then get a new nose....problem sorted.

I have indeed been here since 1979 and never profess to know everything, unlike some who after a few weeks know it all. Since the only other time I dealt with immigration was about 38 years ago this was a new experience for me.  As for doing visa runs, what do you find so strange ?? I know other people who have also been doing visa runs for years. Some people like travel and don't find it a hassle at all. As for first hand experience of negative corruption ( where I lose rather than gain ) this is again , my first personal experience of it.

My nose is fine thanks... ????

Please don't tell me that you live in or near Bang Yai.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 2long said:

My nose is fine thanks... ????

Please don't tell me that you live in or near Bang Yai.

Used to for 9 years . Moved before the BTS and Westgate opened. When we first moved there it was still a fairly nice green suburb. But over the years , with Preuksa building more and more moobahns it slowly got more and more crowded and the traffic got worse and worse. Sold up for a nice profit and built a house on the wifes land. Much nicer.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Pay it in 1 baht coins in 2 separate bags.

Or in 25 satang coins in 8 separate bags.

On reflection, 10 separate bags of these tiddlers will probably be needed next year:

1 hour ago, whiteman said:

you bet he will be back next year and it will be 2500  bhat

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bangyai said:

I will say one thing. For 40 years I have done visa runs. Not because I lacked the 400,000 but to avoid exactly this sort of thing. Now the wife is experiencing herself the exact kind of behavior I told her about. She is not at all happy with this new way of doing things.

You can also show 40k coming into bank account every month - you don't need 400k. 40 years of visa runs could have been avoided...

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Bouncing cheques is an offense in Thailand.

Tell them it was a misunderstanding. Seems to work for almost everything else. 

Anyway, so is asking for 2,000 baht. 

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Oddly enough, when I got my TM30 for the first time last month, immigration had no record of me in their system, despite me living here for 11 years.

Watch out for illegal entry and 11 years overstay (tongue in cheek, but ...)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I was in a similar situation when I applied 4 years ago, however was told upfront that they had to pay for the petrol to visit us and 1,500 baht would cover it, wife was pi$$ed off, but I paid up, no point in getting them off side, been smooth sailing ever since, no issues, no further demands.

Sounds to me like you and the OP need to swap wives!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

You can also show 40k coming into bank account every month - you don't need 400k. 40 years of visa runs could have been avoided...

Yes, if you don't like doing visa runs but I like to travel and like to visit different countries. I have been to most countries in SE Asia except Vietnam and Indonesia.

People talk about visa runs as if they were absolutely dreadful. Why is that ?

Just now, Pilotman said:

2,000 Baht, so 5.4 Baht for each day of  a one year extension. Not worth  the hassle of a challenge. 

Just now, Pilotman said:

2,000 Baht, so 5.4 Baht for each day of  a one year extension. Not worth  the hassle of a challenge. OP, lots of warriors on TVF telling you to tell them to get lost.  I wonder how many of these keyboard macho men would meekly pay up if confronted with it themselves. nearly if not all I would suggest.  Its easy to be brave as well as foolhardy. on a keyboard. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Yes, if you don't like doing visa runs but I like to travel and like to visit different countries. I have been to most countries in SE Asia except Vietnam and Indonesia.

People talk about visa runs as if they were absolutely dreadful. Why is that ?

Visa 'runners' are lumped together by many who assume they, the 'runner', has less than the required income or savings to get what they call the correct visa ( should be extension retired or married ) 

I would guess most who go on about 'runners'  use an agent because they don't have the money either. ????

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tonray said:

Tell them no problem..but the lawn better be manicured and the A/C units cleaned properly before they see one satang.

good idea, as they will have a relative who can do it for you, at a competitive price of course. 

• Like 1