Living the life as an expat in Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

True, but this can be very misleading if much of your expenditure is not related to items included in the "basket"....No mortgage? No car? No foreign holidays etc....

Well, yes, you do have a budget for living expenses as well. ???? Budgeting is key, in fact. It appears not a strong suit among many expats, so creating unhappiness.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Must be handy to know when you're going to kick the bucket.

To the nearest year or month, is there an app' for it?

Although you jest, my budget was worked out to an exact date, my 60th Birthday (which is now approx 5 years & 3 months away) when my pensions kick in & I start "Earning" an income again ???? 

As the main pension is a final salary (Defined Benefits) & inflation proofed, once it starts to pay it more than covers my budget so I won't really need to budget anymore,  BUT I find it useful to keep track of what I'm spending my money on so I've no doubt I'll continue to budget until I do kick the bucket.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Although you jest, my budget was worked out to an exact date, my 60th Birthday (which is now approx 5 years & 3 months away) when my pensions kick in & I start "Earning" an income again ???? 

As the main pension is a final salary (Defined Benefits) & inflation proofed, once it starts to pay it more than covers my budget so I won't really need to budget anymore,  BUT I find it useful to keep track of what I'm spending my money on so I've no doubt I'll continue to budget until I do kick the bucket.

A good add on in brackets to your post would be

Always remember tomorrow is promised to no-one.

I'll never forget my grandfathers final words

Christ, a bus.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Christ, a bus.

And there's this: Your last suit ain't gon' need any pockets.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Christ, a bus.

I always repeat this to myself......no man, on his death bed, ever said...... "Lord, I wish I hadn't slept with so many women"

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 1:39 PM, KhunFred said:

Terrible advice. I refuse to learn a language which consists of a tonal collection of grunts, squeals and squeaks.

The Thai language sounds like a gaggle of donkeys on amphetamines. Thailand's time as a cheap retirement paradise for expats, has run its course. After five miserable years here, I am setting my sights on the Philippines.they, at least, speak HUMAN English. I am not at all charmed by Thailand anymore.

Taglish, it's called. Hate that accent. Me, I'm still charmed by Thailand and Thais. Online 90-days, in and out from Immigration in 15 min last year. Still not expensive. Yeah, I think I'll just continue enjoying living here. Looking out over Pattaya Bay now. Bit hazy, but Koh Larn easily visible, waiting . . . .  

But I sense a happy marriage between yourself and the Philippines. Filipinos, as devout Catholics, never think about money and will just love you for being your natural charming self. Lovely country, tranquil weather at all times, great roads. Probably should have moved over there long ago, like maybe a week after you realized that Thais speak Thai, where you could have enjoyed sitting in the dark or hoping your internet would return rather than posting trash about Thailand week after week. Also, the healthcare system is gon' do you lots of good as well. English, man!???? 

Do you have schedule for departure? It appears you can go ahead and leave just any time now: Asia Today: Philippines allows foreign travel to resume

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Well, yes, you do have a budget for living expenses as well. ???? Budgeting is key, in fact. It appears not a strong suit among many expats, so creating unhappiness.  

Yep, budgeting is key & tracking your current budget to see where you spend your money is a good way to start pulling one together + you might be surprised at where you do spend your money & see opportunities to "Tweak" your spending to save costs... "The Latte Factor" 

The best example I have of this was I used to get a taxi to/from the office every day which would cost around s$10 going & s$15-18 coming back (depending on time, traffic etc) approx s$500 - s$560 pm (11,500 - 12,880 THB).  I then worked out that the bus that stopped 2 minutes from my condo (closer than the taxi rank) also stopped outside the office (closer than where the taxis would drop you off to avoid congestion) & I could get to/from for s$2.60 pd (approx s$52, approx 1,200 THB so saving around 10K THB pm) - Not only was it quicker (bus lanes), less stressful (could take up to an hour to get a taxi at peak times) but I also got to perve at all the local Singaporean girls heading into/from work in the CBD ???? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Would depend how 'out of control' your spending is, and your age.

24Mbht would last my family 40 years as we spend around 500kbht/year.

That supports me, a woman, 2 kids (1 at university) and the mortgage on a 3 bedroom house.

that's 48 years.

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

Not having a car does not mean it's expensive to travel around Thailand, I live in Bangkok and can get to Pattaya for around 200 THB (30 THB BTS to Ekkami, 119 THB Big Bus to Pattaya, 50 THB Baht Bus to hotel) & from Pattay to Koh Chang for 650 THB (tour bus, it would be cheaper if I went to the Bus station and got on one of the scheduled buses) OR I could go to KC straight from Bangkok for around 3-350 THB..

It all depends on where you want to base yourself, I live with the GF in Bangkok (2 br, next to BTS, 20K PM) &  my monthly spend is averaging out at around 106K pm so far this year, so your 24 Million THB would last us about 19 years.   

If I had to, I could comfortably manage on 80K here which would be 25 years

If I were living in Pattaya, Udon Thani, Chiang Mai etc... or dumped the GF, I could comfortably live on 60K PM (33 years).

So you have to ask yourself where do you want to base yourself & how long do you need the money to last you for? 

Your GF costs you 46K a months?

Put her on sticky rice and Som Tum.

Phone limited at 300Baht/month.

You could save a fortune.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Taglish, it's called. Hate that accent. Me, I'm still charmed by Thailand and Thais. Online 90-days, in and out from Immigration in 15 min last year. Still not expensive. Yeah, I think I'll just continue enjoying living here. Looking out over Pattaya Bay now. Bit hazy, but Koh Larn easily visible, waiting . . . .  

But I sense a happy marriage between yourself and the Philippines. Filipinos, as devout Catholics, never think about money and will just love you for being your natural charming self. Lovely country, tranquil weather at all times, great roads. Probably should have moved over there long ago, like maybe a week after you realized that Thais speak Thai, where you could have enjoyed sitting in the dark or hoping your internet would return rather than posting trash about Thailand week after week. Also, the healthcare system is gon' do you lots of good as well. English, man!???? 

Do you have schedule for departure? It appears you can go ahead and leave just any time now: Asia Today: Philippines allows foreign travel to resume

Why are Catholics always "devout". 

Anyway many there are now evangelical. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, BigStar said:

"Tranquil weather at all times"?  Don't think so.  Typhoon season is hell.  Most of Mindanao is rarely subject to typhoons, but the Muslim insurgency is something to worry about.  I was there when Pinatubo erupted.  Unable to fly out because of the ash.  Wait list a mile long.  Luckily we had knew someone at the airline to move us to the top of the wait list. Then there is Mayon and Taal volcanoes that can be threats. 

43 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Your GF costs you 46K a months?

Put her on sticky rice and Som Tum.

Phone limited at 300Baht/month.

You could save a fortune.

Lol, no I meant the step down from 80K to 60K, though it is coming up to Xmas ????  

Guessing that I spend an extra 10K on Groceries/Stuff for the flat & an extra 10K on eating/drinking out by paying for 2 people. 

8 hours ago, KhunFred said:

Not burning any bridges, but I need a country that doesn't gouge me for every cent just to stay and take nothing out of the economy. Cambodia or Vietnam would be acceptable, but they have Covid-related policies that are not conducive to living, at the present time. Vietnam makes you leave after thirty days and Cambodia wants a 2000 dollar deposit to enter. Not going that route. I will wait for the Philippines to re-open.

Calling yourself Khun shows you do not understand anything about Thailand.

The Phillies?Been there a bunch of times and had some good times but Thailand is better by miles!

You will be ripped of just as much over there ,it is all about attitude.

Lots of places you can not go alone after dark,visit an ATM at your own peril.

Garbage?Worse over there!A lot od people over there do not speak English but i like the fact they use the same alphabet makes things a bit easier.

I just don't understand why you think it is better over there.Most people have thrown out their Asian rose colored glasses after a few years here.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 7:39 PM, KhunFred said:

Terrible advice. I refuse to learn a language which consists of a tonal collection of grunts, squeals and squeaks.

The Thai language sounds like a gaggle of donkeys on amphetamines. Thailand's time as a cheap retirement paradise for expats, has run its course. After five miserable years here, I am setting my sights on the Philippines.they, at least, speak HUMAN English. I am not at all charmed by Thailand anymore.

I agree about not learning the language. I knew enough to get by, but I had zero interest in conversing about food, which seems to be the default conversation when not gossiping about "the farang".

The only thing I would have benefited from by speaking Thai would have been understanding the Thai soaps which was all they watched in the village.

In all my years in LOS the only problem I ever encountered from not speaking Thai was when trying to buy something for the m'bike, but it wasn't important.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:52 PM, webfact said:

In the words of one long-time expat: “They should tell young people when they get off the boat: Learn the language! The guidebooks usually say it’s a ‘good idea’. It isn’t. It should be seen as essential.”

Far as I'm concerned that long time expat is talking male cow waste product.

For starters, "young people" are generally unable to live in LOS due to the visa situation, and if they are working in LOS, then they would probably learn it anyway, but most farangs are retired and may have lost the hearing necessary to understand the tones.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

"Tranquil weather at all times"?  Don't think so.  Typhoon season is hell.  Most of Mindanao is rarely subject to typhoons, but the Muslim insurgency is something to worry about.  I was there when Pinatubo erupted.  Unable to fly out because of the ash.  Wait list a mile long.  Luckily we had knew someone at the airline to move us to the top of the wait list. Then there is Mayon and Taal volcanoes that can be threats. 

Davao (Mindanao) gets it's fair share of Typhoons, I remember going Kapalong - Suriagao City a few weeks after Yolanda & it looked like somebody had driven 6 lane highway through the trees there... I did laugh at the fact that the 1st thing they seemed to be re-building was the Church!

Oh & hardly anybody > 40 spoke in English in Kapalong (about 1.5-2 hours north of Davao City) & the people in Davao City were quite shy about speaking to foreigners, I did notice this had changed a lot on my last trip (about 3 years ago) and also that there were a lot more foreigners there nowadays (counted 5 on my 1st 2 week visit in 2008 & 4 of them were 2 couples in the same hotel I was staying). 

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

but I also got to perve at all the local Singaporean girls heading into/from work in the CBD ???? 

Singapore girls rock!

I lived there early 70s and the fashion was pageboy haircut and long black pants that reached the ground while wearing stacked shoes so they looked like they had long legs. DDG too.

It's good to hear that they are still attractive.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

but most farangs are retired and may have lost the hearing necessary to understand the tones.

You have had to have something before you can loose it, I have been tone deaf since birth, music at school was purgatory.

But your right, lived here for over 12 years now without too much of a problem.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jvs said:

Calling yourself Khun shows you do not understand anything about Thailand.

That's what the locals call me, so WHY does it show lack of understanding? I suppose I could use LUNGFred, they call me that, too.

On 11/4/2020 at 2:39 PM, KhunFred said:

Can't wait to hear what you'll say about the Philippines after another 5 years.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Whale said:

Inflation and cost of living index rise would be the killer though Mike. Think about what you could buy for 1000 baht 25 years ago.

Sure !    Now think what she would look like now ,   25 years later !     ouch

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Virt said:

Don't have enough money yet to move permanently to Thailand.

If GF and I sell everything we have about 24 million Baht, but that wouldn't last our entire life with no other income , so we're stuck in cold Europe until we get more money.

I hope we eventually get the chance to move there permanently. 

Until then we have to settle for vacations. 

Buhuu... 

It's called The Parable of the Mexican Fisherman and the Banker  ......

I haven't thought of it for a long time.   But,  I never forgot it  !

https://bemorewithless.com/the-story-of-the-mexican-fisherman/

read it !!

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Thailand is a great place to live once you get over the packs of wild dogs; the lack of a police force; the constant death on the roads; the poor service; general can't-be-*rsed laziness; and red tape which ever institution you try.  Did I mention corruption?

Another self centred opinion that thinks you can get western standards from the Thai economy. Try looking at GDP(PPP) per capita and see where Thailand ranks.

There is a reason why people on minimum wage do not drive Mercedes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1