Re-entering Thailand from Japan

9 hours ago, david2923 said:

I have to go to Japan for a couple of days to clean up loose ends from my former life there.

Not sure if your serious with this thread. Anyone living in Thailand (unless living in a cave) would be aware of the many requirements to satisfy reentry to Thailand, including 14 days of quarantine (at your cost).

I suggest you employ someone to "clean up loose ends,...". 

Look at all the threads regarding entry to Thailand to come up to speed.

• Thanks 2

As others have mentioned, you would be wise to avoid attempting to travel outside of Thailand with the hope of getting back in with any kind of ease at this time. Japan has just been removed from the list of STV eligible countries by Thailand after originally being eligible. When it comes to immigration policies, Thailand changes faster than the bullet train here in Japan...thus what you here now will almost definitely be different in the very near future... .

Do you still have residency or currently valid visa for entering Japan?
Otherwise you'll need some kind of visa allowing to do so - You can get one as a spouse of a Japanese national for instance, or other special purposes, but do check with the Japanese embassy in BKK.

Keep in mind that you'll need to quarantine for 14 days in Japan as well - it can be in a location of your own choice, but you'd need to justify this with the quarantine officer on arrival ( they do phone checks).

You;re not allowed to take a domestic flight connection or any form of public transport on arrival, but can rent a car (quarantine officer supervises rental) or get picked-up - you're not allowed to stop until you reach your quarantine location.

Edited by bjaz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, david2923 said:

Thanks

also, I do live in that cave and do.no pay attention to news

serious posting

Ok since your not in a cave you most likely will need 14 day quarantine along with many other hurdles for your entry to Japan and then same upon your return to Thailand. 

Must be serious loose ends.

Enjoy the trip.

29 minutes ago, david2923 said:

I am a us citizen so a tourist no visa required for first 90 days

Visa-exemptions (for tourism purposes) are currently suspended due to Covid-19.

Here's info specific to the US
https://jp.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Otherwise general info:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/09/30/national/social-issues/entry-japan-coronavirus/

I have EU citizenship (so normally also visa-exempt)  but had to get a special visa to enter Japan, granted because I'm a spouse of Japanese national, we had to submit an application at the Bangkok embassy. Ended up not using it as we extended our stay in Thailand instead, but it was a process.

Visa restrictions are being eased for business travels for instance, but you would still need to contact the JP embassy in Thailand to see if you qualify:

https://www.th.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visaindex.html

If you do manage to get in, you will still have to quarantine somewhere for 14 days, and strictly no public transport, so I don't think the prospect of taking care of business in a couple of days is very realistic.

hope this helps

Edited by bjaz

9 minutes ago, bjaz said:

Visa-exemptions (for tourism purposes) are currently suspended due to Covid-19.

You need read OP.

The OP is married. He is referring to non O based on marriage (90 days). Just did not express it clearly later. 

Also has zero idea re entry requirements to both Japan and Thailand. 

Confused chap.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You need read OP.

The OP is married. He is referring to non O based on marriage (90 days). Just did not express it clearly later. 

Also has zero idea re entry requirements to both Japan and Thailand. 

Confused chap.

I was talking about 90 day visa-exempt entries in Japan, these are also suspended for general purposes.

He would need a visa to enter Japan, unless he still has residency or can qualify for a business entry, but this would need to be cleared by the JP embassy in Thailand - and there is still a 14 day quarantine in Japan.

Edited by bjaz
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2020 at 10:57 PM, david2923 said:

will I have any problem getting back into thailand with the world CV19 pandemic? is there a quarantine in effect?

does anyone have any idea?

Absolutely yes, leave Thailand and jump through all the hoops to come back, including 14 days quarantine.

I would suggest to do everything you can online or via post & not travel anywhere.

I sympathize with your situation since I am a permanent resident of  Japan with a rented house and most of my belongings there.  I would dearly like to be able to dispose of my things, relinquish the house and return to Thailand.  I had planned to do that three years ago and regret that I didn’t.  It seems that I will be stuck in Bangkok for a long time before barrier-free travel becomes acceptable.    I have valuables in my house there but there is nobody whom I can trust to retrieve them for me and have a removal company just dispose of everything else.  As time drags on, if there is no prospect of me being able to make a round trip to Tokyo, I may need to take desperate measures.  I am hopeful now that vaccines and medicines for COVID-19 will be forthcoming next year and will making traveling between countries easier.