what is this new visa for american?

29 minutes ago, dlvinthai said:

This is not new.  I applied for a multiple entry tourist visa in November 2019 and they required an equivalent of 75000 baht in the bank for 6 months, but there was no requirement for medical insurance.  I came to Thailand Dec. 1 of 2019 and have been "stuck" here since then. 

This is a completely new Visa. It has the same name as the original Single Entry Tourist Visa. It is not a multiple entry. The requirements are different for the new one separate from the covid insurance etc.   This is specfic to the times we are in  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It might be on the London embassy website later.

I see no reason why you could not change to a non-o visa with it.

Some websites state if cannot be changed but I think that was incorrect info and it is not shown on the embassy website in the states.

Can it go from tourist visa(TR) from your home country to Non O in Thailand to 1 year extension on Non O for retirement?

• Thanks 1

There are countless things the government could be doing, if they wanted to attract the high quality tourists. First they need to figure out a way to attract tourism, WITHOUT quarantine. That is fairly simple. A very reliable lab based test in the home nation, with test results before you board the plane. Then a simple antigen test at the airport. It takes 15 minutes for results. Sure, Thailand would have to invest in the test kits. Some general would have to be willing to part with a few million dollars. Each test itself, only cost $5 with the new Abbott test, which is available now.

Then they could get on to reform. Sacrifices need to be made. I do not hear ANY discussion about what sacrifices Thailand is willing to make, to get the tourists, and that multi trillion baht cash cow back. A good place to start would be the submarines. Give them up. you going to do with them anyway? Who will pilot them? No subs for 60 years, and all of a sudden you have the expertise to pilot and maintain them? Hello. Show the people you care.  22 billion is the official number. But, since the first one is already up to 13 billion, the numbers simply do not add up. As usual. What about experience? Thailand has not had a sub for over 60 years. Who will pilot this sub? Who will maintain it? How much is the projected annual bill for repairs, and upkeep? Do you army clowns care one iota about the people? Just be honest, for once, and admit that you don't. 

If a tourist wanted to venture to an island destination, they are all devastated by this shutdown. Was recently in Samui. 85% of the hotels were closed. Most restaurants, alot of bars, shops and other businesses were closed many permanently. Granted, there are some great hotel bargains right now. But, that environment is fairly depressing, seeing so much hardship. So, the lame authorities here need to wrap their minds around that. Tourists would be coming to a hugely diminished destination. Free quarantine? Might be a good place to start. Make some sacrifices, you incompetents. These issues and problems were becoming apparent long before Covid. And none were being addressed. That is part of my point. Tourism had been declining for years already. The numbers were up. But the quality of tourist was way down. And according to everyone I spoke to last year, the year before and the year before that, income was way, way down. So, "this blame it all on Covid scenario" is somewhat disengenuous. Sure, Covid is huge. And the drop now is stunning. But, my point is there were plenty of issues prior to Covid. And are any of them being addressed?

Major changes need to be made, if Thailand wants to continue to enjoy the cash cow of tourism. Travelers these days simply have too many choices. Creativity is required. Progress needs to be made. Thailand cannot continue to be one of the least progressive nations on earth, and expect foreigners to tolerate that degree of ignorance. These seeds were planted over a decade ago. The hapless army has accelerated the process dramatically. If Thailand had a qualified health minister, and a slightly intelligent tourism minister, they would stop this nonsense, and realize no tourism program requiring quarantine will ever work. Period. 

The Thai army. Moving Thailand backwards, and inflicting untold pain on it's people. Time to go, guys. The people need competency, and they are speaking loudly now. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

If a tourist wanted to venture to an island destination, they are all devastated by this shutdown. Was recently in Samui. 85% of the hotels were closed. Most restaurants, alot of bars, shops and other businesses were closed many permanently.

Never fear...TAT plans to start marketing "Ghost Town" tours of how it use to be in Thailand. 

Kinda like how there are "ghost town, old mining town" tours in the U.S. western states...remembering the Wild West days.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, treetops said:

You would only loose (sic) it if you failed to have suitable insurance in place for anything with cancellation charges.

I don't care anymore, better easily visit the carrebeans, or other countries saving 100% of insurances covering the failures 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, farang51 said:

Check the cancellation policies at the airlines and the hotels; be aware that the hotels have very different cancellation policies.

Ok. You check as I'm still waiting for the paybacks from my last trip. If i ever fly east again, maybe better to pay more for different insurances, who explain you later, why your case aren't covered.

23 minutes ago, UB40 said:

Good luck, hurry, before additional new rules destroy your dreams, don't forget some buckets of $$$, because ATM's love to drag 5% "off" your amounts

Thankful I worked in LOS long ago and was able to get a bank account there, so as i bounce back n forth between US and LOS I bring cash with me and put it in my thai bank to avoid those FTFees and then pull 99% out to bring back any leftover cash to US.....nice to be able to take out 500 a day for pocket money with no fees...

Sidenote if you dress up nice and smile I used to walk into a bank with my US debit card and let them swipe out the MAX amount (30,000 bt) as they would say to use the ATM....I replied I needed more than than the ATM would allow me to withdrawal.....begrudgingly she would do it, with no fees.......remember dress nice and smile

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UB40 said:

I don't care anymore, better easily visit the carrebeans, or other countries saving 100% of insurances covering the failures 

Where would be your fav pick to visit with the same cost as LOS or cheaper, as Im stuck in the states---ugh

6 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Where would be your fav pick to visit with the same cost as LOS or cheaper, as Im stuck in the states---ugh

Mexico is open to Americans with no restrictions whatsoever.   Costa Rica is open to Americans as of November 1, only requiring COVID insurance, which can be purchased from their two insurance companies for just over $11 a day.  This info. is available on the internet, if you do a search.  I am looking at going to Costa Rica in January, as they are similar to Thailand in weather, beaches and nightlife.  

• Thanks 1

I think the Abbott labs antigen test is highly inaccurate.   Something like the Japanese test.  Mike,   Perhaps the tourist operators you know who's income was down are not of Chinese  pedigree?  

What  about welcoming Airbus which would make  condo investments more practical plus they are my preferred place to stay.  A hotel room is not for me.  Yes I miss the Chinese at breakfast but 

I like a spacious condo.  

To bad the Chinese girls were not as friendly as thai women.  Some are cute and dress with style.   Dresses at the beach for sunrise selfish. I just never found a Chinese gal that didn't act like I was poison.  Part of that is they are always in groups  so even if they wanted an English lesson they cant. 

Edited by Elkski

On 11/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: I agree with tour comments with the exception of the Antigen test and would suggest the following: 

- Preflight Covid-19 RT PCR test with a negative result <72 hrs prior to departure./ 

- Arrival Covid-19 RT PCR test 

- Quarantine until results of arrival Covid-19 RT PCR test are known (i.e. 24 hrs)

- Track and Trace via smart phone. 

This would not be water tight, but would eradicate the vast proportion of risk to Thailand. 

This looks like a good plan but I would just add one thing....

Thai Nationals returning to Thailand must also  have the..

"Preflight Covid-19 RT PCR test with a negative result <72 hrs prior to departure."

I think a lot of the cases of Foreigners who tested neg 72 hours before flights but positive

many days after being in Thai Quarantine could be due to untested Thai Nationals being allowed to fly &

infect others on plane

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, americanfarang said:

Mexico is open to Americans with no restrictions whatsoever.   Costa Rica is open to Americans as of November 1, only requiring COVID insurance, which can be purchased from their two insurance companies for just over $11 a day.  This info. is available on the internet, if you do a search.  I am looking at going to Costa Rica in January, as they are similar to Thailand in weather, beaches and nightlife.  

$11 a day=$330 a month just for insurance..my apt in LOS was $125 a month......CR costs same as CNX?

I cant use any other ins co?..that seems high to me...but I havent bought ins in a decade

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

To bad the Chinese girls were not as friendly as thai women.  Some are cute and dress with style.   Dresses at the beach for sunrise selfish. I just never found a Chinese gal that didn't act like I was poison.  Part of that is they are always in groups  so even if they wanted an English lesson they cant. 

I am in love with Chinese cuties in Cm..Ive shown many around and even almost married one we both already booked tickets elsewhere and had different paths we were on...fell for many a china cutie, but most seems they didnt even know why they were in LOS or that some were looking a sugar daddy--same same but different

None of them ever asked me for money, most brought gifts, spoke very good english and were enchanting..being that Chinese culture is image and money driven I am not into that, Im into happiness

On 11/7/2020 at 12:52 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The Antigen tests checks to see if someone has had Corona Virus at some point in recent history. If someone tests ‘positive’ for Antigens it doesn’t highlight if that person is still a carrier or not, neither is there proof of immunity if someone has had Covid-19. 

Thus: I agree with tour comments with the exception of the Antigen test and would suggest the following: 

- Preflight Covid-19 RT PCR test with a negative result <72 hrs prior to departure./ 

- Arrival Covid-19 RT PCR test 

- Quarantine until results of arrival Covid-19 RT PCR test are known (i.e. 24 hrs)

- Track and Trace via smart phone. 

This would not be water tight, but would eradicate the vast proportion of risk to Thailand. 

For Non Thais I would add a test 14 days in advance of departure and a second test 3 days before departure. Then a test in Thailand on day 3 while in hotel quarantine. Release with monitoring or tracking after a clean test in Thailand.  That would give you a long enough spread of time to detect and avoid  a high % of infected. 

I would also make it mandatory for Thai nationals for the same testing. If infected they could be segregated prior to return and shut down the spread from that area.  I would still allow their return after clearing testing.   

if you look at the numbers and nationalities returning that end up being found infected the majority are Thai Nationals returning from other countries that were not tested prior to return.

That would give a significant level of protection and shorten the quarantine \ financial burden so many complain about.  

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 10:57 AM, ubonjoe said:

In a way it is new since it has a lot of different requirements than the standard single entry tourist visa.

Any idea if it could be extended at domestic immigration, or even converted to a Non-Imm-O  Permission to Stay?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Any idea if it could be extended at domestic immigration, or even converted to a Non-Imm-O  Permission to Stay?

Yes it can be extended for 30 days.

There is no reason for not being a able to apply for a change of visa status to get non immigrant visa entry.

Some embassy websites state it cannot be changed but I think that is false info since immigration sets the rules for doing a change of visa status not the embassy or the MFA.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

Since USA does not qualify for the STV, what if an American lives in or is able to get to a country that is allowed in. Can an American get a STV from over there?

That would depend upon the embassy where the application was done at. Many embassies and official consulate require a person to be citizen or legal resident to apply for any visa.

On 11/7/2020 at 7:16 PM, UB40 said:

Most would take out regular travel inurance for such a trip, so compare the cost of each to make sure you're making a fair comparison, and not dissing this just because it's compulsory which gets everyone's back up.

18 hours ago, treetops said:

Most would take out regular travel inurance for such a trip, so compare the cost of each to make sure you're making a fair comparison, and not dissing this just because it's compulsory which gets everyone's back up

Do you know an insurance if an other insurance doesn't cover? That's just screwed. Are holidays possible without being insured? Travel insurance, storno insurance, travel cancellation insurance, health insurance, covid insurance, legal protection insurance ... tilt. I stay home

• Confused 1