MG Extender : good pickup truck ?

Emmarose

As far as I understand, the MG name is the only thing the chinese is using from MG.

Most of the chinese MG gasoline engine technichs is elder opel engines, correct me if I am wrong.

I dont know what technic they have based their MG pick up line at, but I would be suprised if it is their own technic.

The MG Pickup line is a quite new product, so difficult to have much experience about how reliable it is.

I think some of the most beatyfull cars is comming from good old Britania, think of MGa, MGb beatyfull cars for normal people, mg midget maybe not so beatyfull but a cheap roadster for young people, and the traditionel mini, I think the most intelligent mini car and the most beautyfull ever jaguar e type. Sad we do not see much more from good old Britania.

Edited by finnsk

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Never had an MG but had a TR6 - no power, crappy suspension

327 4-speed fixed the lack of power, and coil overs fixed the hydraulic link-type rear suspension.

Saw lots of BMW dropped jaws

I guess swapping the 2.5 for a 5.3 would make a bit of difference....????

2 hours ago, bodga said:

You state  you want to buy cheap", have you  looked at the remaining Chevrolets for sale? I  picked up a top spec 1.5  cab for  just 525k but  lesser models are available  still. This  includes, 3  year warranty 100k km leather steering wheel, 180hpengine, cruise control, abs , alloy 18"wheels and a  whole raft of other  equipment.

20200922_103707.jpg

2 hours ago, bodga said:

You state  you want to buy cheap", have you  looked at the remaining Chevrolets for sale? I  picked up a top spec 1.5  cab for  just 525k but  lesser models are available  still. This  includes, 3  year warranty 100k km leather steering wheel, 180hpengine, cruise control, abs , alloy 18"wheels and a  whole raft of other  equipment.

20200922_103707.jpg

Nice Looking Car. Hows the 3 year warranty going to work when theres no Chevrolet Dealers in Thailand ?

Or is there antoher plan ?

4 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

The previous model was LDV T 60

It sold in Aus

A mate of mine has one, treats it like hell and it keeps going

Also a lot cheaper than the jap models

Even cheaper?

The Foton pickup, or the Malaysian pickup, name escapes me.

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

I wouldn’t risk it. 
- MG have a history of going broke. I can’t see them being around for ever in Thailand. 

- MG were always poor quality, I can’t see the Chinese improving on it. 
- about a month ago I popped in to their dealership in Khok Kloy to ask about their EV. The lack of knowledge of the staff astounded us, she couldn’t answer any of our questions (I was with a thai, so it wasn’t just the language barrier). 

Forget it.

Not only MG had a tendency to go down.

Or bad quality.

But they were, in British times, fun to drive.

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Performance? 

Because of 4 cylinder rubbish performance, rubbish handling, rubbish build quality and I suspect they will have rubbish servicing standards in Thailand.
it is well documented, one of the main reasons they have gone broke so many times. 

I wouldn’t buy one, that is my opinion, if you think they are good, then go ahead. They are cheap. I wonder why?

UK cars are infamous for their poor build quality. I suspect the only people defending them are from the UK who have taken it personally. 
China is also infamous for poor build quality. They will continue the MG tradition I am sure.

Dream on......

2 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Nice Looking Car. Hows the 3 year warranty going to work when theres no Chevrolet Dealers in Thailand ?

Or is there antoher plan ?

All the dealers  have  agreed  to keep servicing and parts  are  still easily available, many Chevvy dealers  now have a sign saying "service  centre"

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Whenever MG is mentioned the thread always descends into bickering about how good/bad MG were back in the 70’s ????

Also how posters would never buy anything Chinese, some of whom are typing on their iPhones or computers bought from AliExpress ????

Anyone with an Extender would do well to pm the op to avoid the flak !!

Disclaimer: I don’t own an Extender or any MG for that matter just feel sorry for the op who has asked a reasonable question and has to read shiite about someone’s MGB from 1971 ????

My MGB was a 1964 model, sadly had the 3 main bearing crank in 1964, but never gave me any problems.....????

SIL has an MG - model I don't remember - 4 door SUV styled car.

Other than the down market plastic inside the cabin, it performs well - quiet ride, adequate acceleration, smooth and not twitchy.

How it will hold up over time - unknown, but I would not be wary about buying one.

The price savings are quite good, and they come equipped nicely.

Would take one over a Mini any day - which sell for stupid money and - made by BMW - are noted for extortionate parts and repair costs.

Ditto Bow Tie pickups - parts are not going to magically disappear. It is a global economy folks.

Altho' body panels may be increasing difficult to source in LOS a few years down the road.

1 hour ago, Bigz said:

The crappiest British brand run by Chinese...don't think so

Exactly.

Add “and assembled and serviced in Thailand”. What could go wrong?

About 5-6 years ago I stayed in a hotel in Chonburi city every weekend for a few months. It was just before their reintroduction and 3-4 were always in the hotel car park with the new model car disguise checkered paint. I remember laughing to myself thinking as if anyone would want to steal their design and copy them. 

if someone started a topic about Tata, all the Indians will be telling us how wonderful they are.

Or maybe a Lada will bring out the Russian defenders. 

Still doesn’t make them any good. Some car brands are famous for being well built and reliable. Some brands are infamous for having a poor build quality. 

I would be very surprised if MG are still around in five years. They usually fold every decade or so.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Exactly.

Add “and assembled and serviced in Thailand”. What could go wrong?

About 5-6 years ago I stayed in a hotel in Chonburi city every weekend for a few months. It was just before their reintroduction and 3-4 were always in the hotel car park with the new model car disguise checkered paint. I remember laughing to myself thinking as if anyone would want to steal their design and copy them. 

if someone started a topic about Tata, all the Indians will be telling us how wonderful they are.

Or maybe a Lada will bring out the Russian defenders. 

Still doesn’t make them any good. Some car brands are famous for being well built and reliable. Some brands are infamous for having a poor build quality. 

I would be very surprised if MG are still around in five years. They usually fold every decade or so.

You still don't get it do you?

There is absolutely no connection between the Chinese cars sold as MGs in Thailand and the MG driven by Kenneth Moore in the movie Reach for the Sky released in 1954.

• Like 1