Done Like A Kipper!

Disco

Hey All

I have moved to Bangkok (from the Southern Islands) to find a good lawyer, this has not been the case so far (in Bangkok) as have only found more of the same that got me in this situation in the 1st place ie greed and corruption....

Have been done by Thai husband for a HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY after 10 years because:

a: the local boyz have been removed and the big boyz are know in the game

b: apparently said husband developed v bad gambiling habit behind my back blah, blah blah (and then the rest)

c: he's a <deleted> and if he had just divorced me we could have got 50% of business each and both come out of this OK....

Yes I know some of you will give me a v hard time, but like you I worked hard developing my business in the western world and married a nice person...it just doesn't alllwayz work out like that (as some of you know allready)....

Please no harsh words cos wot ever you say I've told myself thousands of time allready...

Just a good ref for a good lawyer in Bangkok would be really, really nice

If there is anything left that is....

:o

Hey All

I have moved to Bangkok (from the Southern Islands) to find a good lawyer, this has not been the case so far (in Bangkok) as have only found more of the same that got me in this situation in the 1st place ie greed and corruption....

Have been done by Thai husband for a HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY after 10 years because:

a: the local boyz have been removed and the big boyz are know in the game

b: apparently said husband developed v bad gambiling habit behind my back blah, blah blah (and then the rest)

c: he's a <deleted> and if he had just divorced me we could have got 50% of business each and both come out of this OK....

Yes I know some of you will give me a v hard time, but like you I worked hard developing my business in the western world and married a nice person...it just doesn't alllwayz work out like that (as some of you know allready)....

Please no harsh words cos wot ever you say I've told myself thousands of time allready...

Just a good ref for a good lawyer in Bangkok would be really, really nice

If there is anything left that is....

:o

----------------

I have used attorneys in BKK many years ago. No good reports to give I cannot recommend any attorney now. I am very sorry to hear about your situation.

I can relate. if I understand your post correctly a more clear and present danger may be the "big boys" you say are involved now.

Please be careful. Sometimes "discretion is the better part of valor."

I know it s--ks but if you can with stand the financial hit it' would be probably be better to walk away.

I think it would be rare for a farang to prevail over a Thai in most situations. And even if you do win, "you can't squeeze blood from a stone."

Again so sorry to hear about this situation.

Be careful... :D

Your post is lacking a lot of specifics. Done in How? What kind of business were you in? What "Big Boys", etc, etc. I think any business venture in a country outside of your own is hazardous, unless you are a big multi-national corp.

Heard of Tilleke & Gibbons or Baker McKenzie

Both have big Bkk offices (T&G is Bkk based) with ex-pats in them who have passed their Thai bar exams.

If you need an intro, drop me a private message with some background info on the case.

MF

Edited by Maizefarmer

I haven't used these folks myself but a friend highly recommends them. I dont know if they will be able to help in your particular situation but at least it's a reputable firm to contact.

Chaiwat Maraprygsavan

C.B. Law Office

92/22 Sathore Thani Building Tower II, 10th floor

North Sathorn Road

Bangkok 10500

Tel: 02 2383689/92 02 2335399

e-mail: [email protected]

When you find a lawyer you're happy with post the details. good luck.

I cannot recommend any Thai Lawyers.

The advice given by PEPE is well worth listening to.

There may not be enough left to pay the Lawyers, and if the Big Boys are involved, be very careful.

I know personally someone that has lost it all to similar type people.

Take care, and i hope it works out for you...

Also you have to be aware that the Thai legal process is slow and corrupted. You will have to pay if you want your case in the court in less than 2-3 years...even lawyers recommend this (some not I guess), as they have no chance otherwise. Everybody will try to get a piece of the pie...20% of the amount to him, 20% of the amount for them....and you have no guarantee at all.

My suggestion would be that you should assess your situation, and if you have the chances to get out now and commence again...just do it. Sometimes one has to lose to win. But again, at the end of the day, you have to take a decision on your own.

Good luck.

I agree with the assessment about the Thai legal system: very slow, back and forth, lots of grey areas, no certainty that you can win, lots of twists and turns. I would not put my trust in the Thai legal system. Best thing I can recommend is try and keep your money outside Thailand and out of reach of your husband, and reduce the amount that you could loose incountry. I cannot even say you can trust a lawyer working for you; at the least he will be thinking about how much he can get working for you. How many times has my lawyer said 'Sure we can win this, and then later the other party does something, and its no longer sure?'. I feel for you. Good luck.

Have you checked the legal situation between your countries? Special agreements? Maybe take a lawyer from your home?

I wish you good luck. Know how you feel. Please bear in mind: it is possible to start over again (I took the course of not fighting and preferred losing everything except my kids).

Best of luck

A Thai Legend:

Mr.Rujira Bunnag

Forum Tower, 22nd Floor,

184/130-136 Ratchadaphisek Road,

Huaykwang, Bangkok 10320, Thailand.

Tel : (66-2) 645-2556 to 67 Fax : (66-2) 645-2568 to 69

www.marut.th.com

To people recommending Baker & McKenzie, T&G, Allen Overy, Linklaters etc . . .don't bother. They rarely if ever take on marriage disputes unless it involves multi-million dollar law suits. I can certainly verify that in the case of the former and assume it's the case with all the others.

You need a family lawyer, not a corporate law firm.

Like most people indicated, I don't think big law firms would be interested unless they could make an awful lot of money from your case.

It's difficult to plot the best course of action unless the facts are a bit clearer.

Do you have joint assets that could be recoverable

Do you own property (or rather does your husband own property that either you paid for or bought jointly)

Do you have children

Do you have a company

etc etc

If he has a gambling habit it sounds like he has already squandered a lot of money or has substantial loans in which case it doesn't sound like there is much that is recoverable.

The facts are a bit foggy but getting a lawyer involved might just be a time consuming and expensive detour to nowhere.