Need Tips On Moving From Pattaya To Farrangland

freckle

I'm done with Thailand. Packing it in and heading home after 3 years of Pattaya. I haven't been back to my homeland in nearly all that time so I imagine it will be a bit of an adjustment. Frankly, I'm a little scared. Thailand has become my home and my thinking but for reasons the forum could do without, it's time to head back.

Has anyone made the move back to Farrangland after a length in Pattaya or elsewhere and what were some of your emotions during the re-adaptation phase?

I've heard comments about weather, prices, portly women, less smiles, etc. but there's also the advantages and I'm curious what you found them to be. I have my own ideas but I'll leave this for the forum.

Thank you.

I finished in Thailand in '04 and headed back to UK after 12 years almost full time in Thailand. I arrived on a grey, cold, damp April moring at LHR - not a good start - with no job and no prospect of a return to LoS. But I just knuckled down to the reality of the situation and got on with it. Sure there were some painful times, 9 months on the dole is no picnic, but I just concentrated on the job in hand and priority #1 was finding a job.

To be honest it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, apart from the 9 months dole, and family and friends helped me plus it was springtime so I had missed the winter and had time to acclimatise. Despite my doubts I met very many good people, made some good new friends and, for the most part, enjoyed myself.

You say you are done with Thailand. Does this mean done as in finito? Or do you intend to go back, get over whatever it is that has put you in this situation and work on a plan to return to Thailand and try again?

Whatever, best of luck and keep smiling. :o

You say you are done with Thailand. Does this mean done as in finito? Or do you intend to go back, get over whatever it is that has put you in this situation and work on a plan to return to Thailand and try again?

Whatever, best of luck and keep smiling. :o

Thank you for that excellent perspective and your openess too.

I'm in my early 30s. Pattaya is a great place to retire and be a sexy man forever or as a tourist. But living here without work just gets redundant. Eat, sleep, shag, movies, see friends, repeat. Eventually it all loses its shine and becomes repugnant.

I've been offered under the table work in Pattaya but I've also the chance to start a business in my country that's a good earner. All my friends have told me that in 10-15 days of being back in my country, I'll be willing to give my right arm to have some of Thailand again. What that means, I'll leave to your guesses. It's different for everyone.

I'm presently living on $500USD/month total and I'm doing great. Even if my business is rocking and rolling, I would really like to return to Thailand as a millionaire tourist again which is how it all began when I moved here 3 years ago.

In the city I'm moving to, I've already set up my apartment and have started making friends online. So there's about 5-6 women waiting for friendship and I'll meet many many more with my work once that gets going. I feel positive but still scared.

Anyway, the deal is sealed but I'm going to need some help readjusting. Any tips?

I moved back to Farangland once.

I suffered severe depressions, bordering becoming completely suicidal. After suffering through that I was ready to kiss (or wai) my return ticket to Thailand, my most valuable possession. I'd wake up in the middle of the night screaming, then went to check it was still there. Finally the time came to return to Thailand. Had it really just been 10 days I wondered.

Thank you Teacup. That's interesting and coming from a woman, it gives me an view I hadn't heard yet. If you're not busy, I'd love to hear other cultural conflicts you've experienced. Cheers.

I moved here six months ago but I haven't decided yet whether I'll stay. At first I had my eyes on the condo market, but then I came to realize that it might not be too smart to buy a condo when my continuing ability to stay in Thailand is subject to the whims of some immigration officer. I qualifed for a retirement visa this year, but what about next year or the year after? So I'm thinking of buying property back in the USA. I know I can do that and nobody can throw me out.

Of course, I can always come here whenever I want for a vacation.

J

I left the UK in 1985.

I went back 2 years ago after being out for 6 years and decided it is not the place for me.

I landed on an August afternoon and it immediately started raining......... Summer??

After 2 weeks there I realised it had changed so much and was not for me.

I have since sold my house and broken off all ties there, apart from a few friends.

Good luck with your move.

I've lived in various places (overseas) for various periods (i.e. 4 years in Germany, almost 4 years split between Afghanistan and Thailand, smaller stretches in between).

One thing I've noticed on returning to the homeland is that it just doesn't seem as fun. The weather is (usually) worse, the prices are (incredibly) higher, the people don't seem as friendly and are quicker to lose their temper over minor things, the food seems rather bland.

Going out for an evenings entertainment (be it to a movie or a bar) is something you do on rare occasions due to the cost and hassles (i.e. parking/driving or using public transit, paying around 350 baht for a single ticket to a movie, or 250+ baht for a drink only to be "cut-off" at the whim of a waitress/bartender who decides you've had enough). Paying 9-10,000+ baht equivalent for barely a weeks worth of groceries.

When I tell people that I had a root canal and 2 fillings done in Thailand for 2,600 baht (well under $100 Canadian), they get this shocked look on their face and ask me how I was able to get it so cheap (being that the same job would cost 10 times or more to do back home).

Rent an apartment ? Last time I was in Vancouver, the cheapest apartment I could find (1 bedroom, living/dining room, small kitchen and bathroom) was $600 a month (about 18,000 baht). My cable and internet worked out to well over 3,000 baht a month. Insurance on a 3 year old pick-up ? About 48,000 baht a year (even with the highest "Good Driver" discounts the insurance company has).

And people still think that because I'm single, I only want to live in Thailand for the women. :o

I'm in my early 30s. Pattaya is a great place to retire and be a sexy man forever or as a tourist. But living here without work just gets redundant. Eat, sleep, shag, movies, see friends, repeat. Eventually it all loses its shine and becomes repugnant.
Couldn't agree more with your last statement. I lived in or near Pattaya the whole time and loved it but without work it rapidly looses it's appeal. Nowadays I return to Pattaya about every three months for a long weekend, 4 or 5 days, and to be quite honest when I am getting back into the taxi I'm happy because I've had enough. My planned retirement in Thailand was always based on Pattaya but now I'm considering the options and what I will do with my time.
Anyway, the deal is sealed but I'm going to need some help readjusting. Any tips?

Only advice I'd give is set yourself a goal, something to strive for, an achievement for your efforts. For me, initially, it was just simply to get employement but then it morphed into a greater goal that I am close to making a reality.

Keep your memories of Thailand but recognise them for what they are, merely memories. Live for, and in, the present moment for that is what is important. The future with all it's clouds of doubt and uncertainty is only promises that can, and often do, get broken.

I am a bit like Philharries

I arrived home on a cold wet Feb night in 2000. Half a promise of a job by a guy who ripped me off and paid a pittance.

I would rather have done that though than been paid a relative pittance ie Western standards pittance in Thailand

A year later I got a start elsewhere - I moved into a new field but in my profession - company went bust but ended up as a freelancer for 4 years

The last company I freelanced at offered me a job back in the S E Asia region and a regional dept manager for a division of a very large MNC

I am on western wages in Singapore with a beautiful condo, a great lifestyle and travel around the region plus trips to Europe and the USa coming up.

I could have had the job moved to Thailand - chose not to push it. I would have been paying around the same price for this standard of condo and my tax would have been much higher in Thailand

Still get to visit Thailand often but not for as long each time - this is OK for me now. Long week-ends - a week here and 10 dayys at Christmas are fine - I enjoy other parts of Asia too as well as an excellent, if expensive. social life in Singapore - Asia is Asia

My view is that I would not drag it out in Thailand just to stay there - 60-70k THB job just to eke out an existence - that's working to live IMVHO

If the time comes to go home then go - I stayed 5 weeks too long I reckon as I did not want to let go. Now in the scheme of things it means nothing now but I know guys who have stayed on years too long and each time i see them they look worse for wear and are increasingly potless!

Edited by Prakanong

went back in 96 lasted 8 weeks spent my whole time looking at vapour trails from aircraft, going back for a week next month with the thai g/f.

wish you luck but i can tell you it's not easy.

firstly MR TAX man is going to have a field day.

secondly where did all my friends go.

thirdly christ he was my best fiend.

last all the women look like overwieght frumps.

give you 6 month tops

I still get to visit Thailand often but not for as long each time - this is OK for me now. Long week-ends - a week here and 10 dayys at Christmas are fine - I enjoy other parts of Asia too as well as an excellent, if expensive. social life in Singapore - Asia is Asia

My view is that I would not drag it out in Thailand just to stay there - 60-70k THB job just to eke out an existence - that's working to live IMVHO

You make a good point here.

I am now based in Penang, and plan to split my time between Malaysia and the Middle East. :o

I am back in Ireladn for the last 2 months after almost 6 years in Thailand.

It hasnt been easy so far but the weather has been brilliant so far - global warming is good for Ireland!

Hardest part so far is money! Everything is so expensive here and you just have to forget how much things were in Thailand!

Getting a job is the top priority and once i get a job i think i will settle better!

It was my own decision to come home (with some help from coup, visa rules, thai baht, FBA, etc etc) but if things dont work out I can always go back to Thailand.

When I was in Thailand I found myself moaning too much about things. But maybe I was just being too smug. IN order to realise what you have sometimes the only way you realise this is to lose it!

But so far so good. But I will defeinitely be back to Thailand for holidays and maybe even more permanently!

PS - still trying to rent out my Condo in Bangkok!!!!!!!