Vehicle You Can Sleep In?

OliverKlozerof

Not sure whether to post in 'Motoring' forum or here...
Anyway...I'm thinking of buying a vehicle (car/truck/van...), so I can travel around Thailand. Anyone have a vehicle they've slept in? Of course, would be mostly in cool season, or higher elevations, where is also cooler. (I think many times/places would be uncomfortably hot.) I know a lot of times I'd opt for a hotel somewhere...but in case I wanted to explore some remote area, I think it would cool to have option to sleep in vehicle. I mean: at least a small, flat mattress. (Not just sleeping in reclining seat.) So, obviously some vans might work. Or maybe pickup truck with canopy? (Can't imagine buying a dedicated motorhome ('caravan' in yerp), unless great deal. 'Regular' vehicle is what I'm imagining.)
Also: If anyone has done this...have you found it easy to just pull over somewhere for the night? Or are Thais not OK with people doing this??
Thx

A google search of the ThaiVisa website might provide useful information

site:thaivisa.com van or motorhome

...brings up the following past topic threads

Camper Van or Mobile home
By moskito, May 14, 2019 in Thailand Motor Forum

Looking to purchase a Motorhome
By Optomist, April 4 in Thailand Motor Forum

Touring caravan. Anyone tried it?
By Surelynot, April 11 in Thailand Motor Forum

Carryboy in Thailand.  Look them up.   Bring lots of money if you want a new one...  They'll even make you one with air conditioning.

If I was back in Thailand instead of a Covid refugee, I'd be looking for a used van, possibly one of the kamikaze vans put out of business by Covid.  Then, I'd look on YouTube for ideas to make it habitable for off grid camping.  There's thousands of videos out there- many with great ideas (though a lot of them go way too far). 

Here in Texas, I bought a Toyota Sienna mini-van, a $75 folding cot and a sleeping bag, took the 4 back seats out, and it's very nice for camping, fishing and kayaking solo.  Tons of gear fit under the cot.  Also gets great mileage.  Years ago, I camped out of a full size GMC van, and it was big enough for 2 cots and a lot of gear.  Didn't get very good mileage though, with a 5.7 liter V8.

Edited by impulse

I just carry a tent with a sleeping pad, ( yoga pads work fine)  when i head out on road trips

has worked for the last 20 years  ????

On a 2 month road trip might spend 5 nights or so in it, otherwise there is always an inexpensive place to stay near where i end up

Having a tent vs a camper means i can head off into then unknown and still have a place to sleep...

Edited by zzzzz
  • Haha 1

My first car camping was a 95 Honda Accord and Im 6 ft tall!!!  Hoo boy that was tight..took out passenger seat and back seat so folded down level.....had a waterproof pad and sleeping bag and some tap lights..

Upgraded(kinda) to a 95 Toyota Camry Wagon..rare find...got it from a junkyard auction tracked window stickers to a rich old lady....suppose she died at retirement home and it got towed....had less than 70K on it! Super clean

Tinted the windows limo black--super dark.and put two stacking thick cushions i got from ReStore H4H shop

Would use my phone to stream tv with window clamp--use planet fitness for 24 hr showers--eat at grocery stores with salad bars-sushi--pizza--hot bar....everything u need foodwise....used to park by hotspots for wifi but just got unlimited wifi so could branch out....my back hatch has a jump seat from the good old danger days

Has ac--heat----long enough to stretch out and sit up...bed fits perfect and stacks...the tint is super private

used a converter with cig lighter to power laptop and phone....i did a month in it last month and was really sucky as everything was closed...had to use a plant sprayer 2 gallon pump to shower outside.....the only issues I ever ran into were cops banging on my window checking me out and the humidity--oh the east coast humidity--ugh

found a place to park it when I jump back to LOS and can sleep in it when I return..paid it off by sleeping in it compared to rent....also did gig work via my phone so could go anywhere I wanted and sleep in car n work, and everything I own fits in it....been bouncing back n forth between LOS and US until I tire of the scene...

• Haha 1