Check This Out!

markr

A bit of useless information for you all!

In the 1400's a law was set forth that a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick thicker than his thumb. Hence we have "the rule of thumb".

Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled

"Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone

Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.

Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

Coca-Cola was originally green.

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

The average number of people airborne over the US any given hour: 61,000

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king in history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If

the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter "A"?

A. One thousand

Q. What do bullet-proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common?

A. All invented by women..

Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?

A. Honey

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase......... "goodnight, sleep tight."

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month,

which we know today as the honeymoon.

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them

"Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down." It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase

inspired by this practice.

Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it..........

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

>~~~~~~~~~~~AND FINALLY~~~~~~~~~~~~

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!!!!!!

Cheers

Mark

Heres another one

When people where booking a cabin on a transatlantic crossing departing from England they would ask for a cabin that was

Portside Outward Starboard Homebound

these people became known as POSH

MM

P.S. tried the elbow licking, no where near.

I offered my tg 5,000 if she could lick her elbow. didn't mention that it was impossible. she was SO determined. should have recorded it. have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. she tried every which way. jammed herself up against the sofa with her arm in a weird angle using her leg to push her elbow closer to her tongue. lol

I offered my tg 5,000 if she could lick her elbow. didn't mention that it was impossible. she was SO determined. should have recorded it. have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. she tried every which way. jammed herself up against the sofa with her arm in a weird angle using her leg to push her elbow closer to her tongue. lol

You reckon i am going to have some fun and free drinks around the bars with this one

A bit of useless information for you all!

In the 1400's a law was set forth that a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick thicker than his thumb. Hence we have "the rule of thumb".

Many years ago in Scotland, a new game was invented. It was ruled

"Gentlemen Only...Ladies Forbidden"...and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone

Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than the US Treasury.

Men can read smaller print than women can; women can hear better.

Coca-Cola was originally green.

It is impossible to lick your elbow.

The average number of people airborne over the US any given hour: 61,000

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom Sawyer

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king in history:

Spades - King David

Hearts - Charlemagne

Clubs -Alexander, the Great

Diamonds - Julius Caesar

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If

Q. If you were to spell out numbers, how far would you have to go until you would find the letter "A"?

A. One thousand

Q. What do bullet-proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers, and laser printers all have in common?

A. All invented by women..

Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?

A. Honey

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase......... "goodnight, sleep tight."

It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month,

which we know today as the honeymoon.

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts... So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them

"Mind your pints and quarts, and settle down." It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's"

Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim, or handle, of their ceramic cups. When they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle" is the phrase

inspired by this practice.

Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it..........

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg.

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

>~~~~~~~~~~~AND FINALLY~~~~~~~~~~~~

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!!!!!!

Cheers

Mark

:o

1. The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone

Nice try but not so. On American TV the 50's show "Ozzie and Harriet" had a married couple that for the first year of the show, had seperate bedrooms. The 2nd year the couple slept in the same bedroom, but with seperate beds and a table between the two beds. Near the end of that year the producers changed the bed to a single double-sized bed. They producers of the show were very worried about this, thinking the censors would criticise them. The scene was set up so that their children were to bring them breakfast in bed for their anniversary. That is usually aknowledged to be the first prime-time TV show where a couple were shown in bed, with their children serving them breakfast. I think it was about 1953 or 1954 that it occured. The censors made a noise, but the American public never paid it any attention.

2. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle. If the horse has one front leg in the air the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If

This simply isn't true. It just depends on what the person who does the statue wants. There are many statues of horse's with one or two legs in the air whose rider died naturally years after he was involved in any kind of combat. One famous example is a staue of George Washington on a rearing horse. Washington lived for years after he was a general, and died of old age.

:D

Sorry

A. One thousand

Wrong - One Hundred and one.

... "AND" is only used in mathematics to signify the decimal point.

A. One thousand

Well, that's got no relevance here then as the number 101 has no decimal point.

• 2 weeks later...

A. One thousand

Think American. One hundred one.

A. One thousand

Americans don't say it like that do they?

A. One thousand

Americans don't say it like that do they?

OK OK!

I put it in as a deliberate mistake to see how sharp you all were!!! :o

Mark

Edited by markr

I bet you tried it yourself first before you offered your girlfriend 5000 to do it :o:D:D

Ha ha! I've got a long tongue, so managed to get past the crease in my elbow, but still a good distance away! Even got everyone in my office to try it out! Funny.

I have a query: Where does the expression "hair of the dog" come from?

x.

Heres another one

When people where booking a cabin on a transatlantic crossing departing from England they would ask for a cabin that was

Portside Outward Starboard Homebound

these people became known as POSH

MM

P.S. tried the elbow licking, no where near.

Nearly right! It was actually P&O where this started with passengers booked through the Red Sea to India. Going out, the Starboard side was the hottest and coming back the Port side was hottest and being before ships were air conditioned this meant that the more comfortable cabins were Port out - Starboard home - they were therefore also the most expensive so only available to the richer passengers - hence they were the POSH ones.

Ha ha! I've got a long tongue, so managed to get past the crease in my elbow, but still a good distance away! Even got everyone in my office to try it out! Funny.

I have a query: Where does the expression "hair of the dog" come from?

x.

I'm impressed

Mark

1. The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time TV was Fred and Wilma Flintstone

Nice try but not so. On American TV the 50's show "Ozzie and Harriet" had a married couple that for the first year of the show, had seperate bedrooms. The 2nd year the couple slept in the same bedroom, but with seperate beds and a table between the two beds. Near the end of that year the producers changed the bed to a single double-sized bed. They producers of the show were very worried about this, thinking the censors would criticise them. The scene was set up so that their children were to bring them breakfast in bed for their anniversary. That is usually aknowledged to be the first prime-time TV show where a couple were shown in bed, with their children serving them breakfast. I think it was about 1953 or 1954 that it occured. The censors made a noise, but the American public never paid it any attention.

circa 1930's....

post-4252-1180071761.jpg

A. One thousand

one, one thousandth ?

What's the story behind touching the other persons glass (or bottle) with our own glass/bottle when we say cheers (prost, etc)?

Sailor

Yeah,

Back in the day - sort of around the time of Mary queen of Scots and all that, give or take a hundred years - when everybody was at war with everybody Sometimes there would be Parlez(parley) whereby people from differrent factions would meet, eat, drink and talk.

They used to use old metal or ceramic mugs to drink from. In order to try to ensure that a mug was not poisoned, they would clink their glasses Hard together, in an attempt to ensure that some liquid spilled into the other mans drink.

If everybody acheived this, the drinks from each mug would have a little from every other mug in them, therefore ensuring that either none or all would be poisoned.

cheers.

PS: I may not have explained it properly, but I hope the gist of it is clear enough.