What is this? Makes no sense.

Lacessit

Saw a bank of these in the local Big C, scratching my head. AFAIK Australia is an importer of fuel products, and has less than the mandated 90 day reserve. Anyone know why Australia would be supplying fuel products to Thailand? Or why Australian fuel products would be any better than what is available here? Oz is not even meeting EU sulphur in fuel standards.

IMG20201118121522.jpg

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Oil Oil Oil 

It is just a franchise, same as all the other self serve fuel franchise vending machines. Supplied by PT, so don’t think they are using Aussie fuel. 

Here is an interview with the boss promoting it. It is for “farmers” but I couldn’t figure out how or why. 

• Like 1

All Fuels are refined at the same site, and under the same controls, here in Thailand.

The Traders and Buyers then Order what they will require, and negotiate a price for the Fuels they are ordering.

Ozzie Oil is the same as PTT, PT or any of the others, and is just sold through a Franchise labelled Pump.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

From WIKI -

Thailand

• Thai Oil Refinery (Thai Oil Company of PTT Public Company Limited), 275,000 bbl/d (43,700 m3/d)
  • IRPC Refinery (IRPC PLC of PTT), 215,000 bbl/d (34,200 m3/d)
  • PTT Global Chemical Refinery (PTT Global Chemical PLC of PTT), 145,000 bbl/d (23,100 m3/d)
  • SPRC Refinery (Star Petroleum Refining Company of PTT), 150,000 bbl/d (24,000 m3/d)
  • Bangchak Refinery (Bangchak Petroleum), 120,000 bbl/d (19,000 m3/d)
  • Sri Racha Refinery (ExxonMobil), 170,000 bbl/d (27,000 m3/d)
  • Rayong Purifier Refinery (Rayong Purifier Company), 17,000 bbl/d (2,700 m3/d)

So it's a franchise, with the marketing gurus thinking with the Australian name it will get sales. I have news for them, most Thais couldn't find Australia on a map. It's not a skill taught in Thai schools, for a fairly obvious reason. Although every Thai I have met wants to meet a kangaroo, it's like Americans who are fascinated by Tasmanian devils.

Thanks for everyone's input.

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So it's a franchise, with the marketing gurus thinking with the Australian name it will get sales. I have news for them, most Thais couldn't find Australia on a map. It's not a skill taught in Thai schools, for a fairly obvious reason. Although every Thai I have met wants to meet a kangaroo, it's like Americans who are fascinated by Tasmanian devils.

I think you would find that most of the Aussies who have never been to Thailand wouldn't be able to show you Thailand on a map either. Or Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.

Some Aussies think Thais are Taiwanese. A lot of Thais think Australia is in Europe.

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, Lacessit said:

I read somewhere that they wanted to call it 5-Star Oil but someone reckoned the "farmers" would get confused with the fried chicken stands.

In other news, back in the USA, no Mrs Butterworth made pancake syrup. Ever.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:28 PM, Natai Beach said:

I think you would find that most of the Aussies who have never been to Thailand wouldn't be able to show you Thailand on a map either. Or Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.

Some Aussies think Thais are Taiwanese. A lot of Thais think Australia is in Europe.

And Indian's are from India !!