Adopting in Thailand

marc26

Anyone have any experience adopting children in Thailand

I've been with my wife for 18 years, married for 12 1/2 years, we have my 19yr stepson

I wouldn't mind adopting 2 or 3 kids but actually, my wife was approached by her brother's ex-gf

They have 4 kids and the brother doesn't take care or help financially

The ex-gf is a good kid, works hard but just can't afford 4 kids

She asked my wife to take the youngest, 2 years old.

We probably won't be able to because we doing Permanent Residence in Canada, but may have my MIL look after the child

But it got me wondering if anyone has experience with adopting in Thailand and the process

Thanks

5 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Sorry, I don't know. But I just don't understand why would someone keep making kids if you can't afford. 

And have "MIL" look after the child? Really?  The child is 2.  

Are you sure the money you send for the child will be used solely for his upbringing and not spent by MIL on lotteries.  You are creating one more mouth to feed. And you said you won't mind adopting 2-3 kids. What do you mean by that? Adopting and raising in one home as the parent or sending money for food to Thailand? 

See, It appears you are a good man, you have a great heart, If you really want to help a child, take him to Canada to live with you legally. I have no idea how it's done but I am sure it can be done. Search for some thai lawyers. I have seen law firm advertisement on this forum too. Take their advice.  

Due to corona, it will be difficult and slow.  

Good luck. Hope you can change a  life. 

I 100% agree with you about people having kids they can't afford.......

My MIL has her own little daycare that she has had for about 10 years in Bangkok. She takes care of neighbor's kids from the time they are born until they are in school full time. She usually has 2 kids going at a time. She has a good reputation so she is asked constantly if she care for others. She makes decent money for herself doing this and she really cares for the kids, as they are her own.

She has the 1st baht she ever earned, so her next lottery ticket would be her 1st!(now can't say that for her daughter 555)

And my thinking was she does this for neighbor's kids, we should help with her own grandson. As I said, the Mom of the child is a good girl.

I would help with the costs because I do think the mom needs help

I told my wife we aren't able to adopt the child but we can help, a 2yr old in Bangkok wouldn't cost much.

Just tell the Mom that my MIL will do it on a temporary basis

As for us adopting. If it ever came to pass, it would be to adopt kids to live with us in Canada. But it is just a thought and this incident just made me curious.

7 minutes ago, marc26 said:

As for us adopting. If it ever came to pass, it would be to adopt kids to live with us in Canada. But it is just a thought and this incident just made me curious.

It's not adopting really then.

It's more like supporting a life. That is great. Wonderful Idea. Is your MIL healthy? Are you sure she will be able to take care of the child for the next 18 years? 

One of your previous thread was about price to build a house as your wife wants to gif to your MIL and you mentioned she would move out of BKK. Your BIL quoted 200-300 which is too much. But that's not what I am worried about here.

You take a child from her real biological mother. An old woman gets the child and feeds him with your money. What if the MIL passes away in few years?  Who would be there with the child then?

Is it possible for you and your wife to pledge to support the child even though he is with his mother? Just let the child stay with the mother. Pledge to support him until he lands at a job. 

Edited by lovethai123
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

One of your previous thread was about price to build a house as your wife wants to gif to your MIL and you mentioned she would move out of BKK. Your BIL quoted 200-300 which is too much. But that's not what I am worried about here.

Thai relatives often con the foreigner. The foreigner would be sitting in far off lands and working hard but relatives would quote a huge price for anything like house repair etc, 

Hope u didn't send 10000 CAD to that BIL

18 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Thai relatives often con the foreigner. The foreigner would be sitting in far off lands and working hard but relatives would quote a huge price for anything like house repair etc, 

Hope u didn't send 10000 CAD to that BIL

I've been with my wife for 18 years, he's been playing the long game then! 5555

We have done business together many times. over the last 10 years, I've got returns back on all of it.

He had a very skilled job as a door installer/maintenance until going into business with my wife and venturing out on his own as contractor.

Plenty of guys get ripped off in Thailand, my wife makes her own money when she is in Canada and has made her own money when in Thailand

21 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

It's not adopting really then.

It's more like supporting a life. That is great. Wonderful Idea. Is your MIL healthy? Are you sure she will be able to take care of the child for the next 18 years? 

You take a child from her real biological mother. An old woman gets the child and feeds him with your money. What if the MIL passes away in few years?  Who would be there with the child then?

Is it possible for you and your wife to pledge to support the child even though he is with his mother? Just let the child stay with the mother. Pledge to support him until he lands at a job. 

The adoption question was my own curiosity on how the system is in Thailand, not for this particular situation

I think giving money to help would be easiest for us/MIL but from the girl's desperate pleas to my wife, it seems she needs more than financial support.

She's in her early 20's, works full-time and has no other family support

By the way, the child is her grandson, not like she is giving them away to a stranger..........she's asking family to help. Doesn't have to permanent

it's an occurrance that goes on in a huge % of Thai families all over the country

My wife wasn't raised by her mother...........and I'd challenge anyone to find a closer relationship than theirs

Hell, my aunt basically shared raising me with my Mom, I was the baby of 7 with a deceased father. 

There is even a famous saying............."takes a village" for a reason

40 minutes ago, marc26 said:

"takes a village" for a reason

????????

you are obviously a middle aged man or more. I hope the bubble never breaks.. be happy . god bless. 

But think many times before  you start feeding another mouth. And for the girl u r worried about,, i think if she could be with some loser thai man, she could date a farang and as per my experience, farangs love raising thai babies. 

2 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

her line of work in both the places? 

You are a nosy <deleted> 555

But I don't mind answering..............

My wife's business in Thailand started off with her installing awnings for a graphic design shop. They would design the awning and have it fabricated and she would install them.

That branched out into a myriad of jobs from "wrapping" cars/motorcycles(putting logos on trucks/bikes........she's done big jobs for Kawasaki) to helping design signs for a couple of hotels and install them.

Her big jobs are building booths for trade shows. Her biggest job is the Auto show every December, they build out multiple booths for that.

They have built out booths/stages for Robinsons Department Store fashion shows/product launches

In Canada, she  works at a Thai restaurant. She made really good money but that obviously isn't the case now...........

During the height of the pandemic, she was in Thailand and took advantage of the durian shortage and was driving down to Rayong and selling them in her Samut Prakan neighborhood. She made 200/cad per day but that was only for a few weeks

She likes to work and make her own money...........and she enjoys my money as well  ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marc26 said:

She likes to work and make her own money...........and she enjoys my money as well  ????

You are a lucky man if all that is true.

Not everyone here is so privileged.

But instead of calling me a nosy you could appreciate me for being interactive. Other haven't interacted much. I have. Coz I have a golden heart just like you. 

You  a good man. just like me. 

Read your post again. I am glad there is at least one man I have encountered whose thai partner who can earn enough for herself. You are one lucky man. Never let her go. Never ever.

????????????????

Edited by lovethai123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lovethai123 said:

You are a lucky man if all that is true.

Not everyone here is so privileged.

But instead of calling me a nosy you could appreciate me for being interactive. Other haven't interacted much. I have. Coz I have a golden heart just like you. 

You  a good man. just like me. 

Read your post again. I am glad there is at least one man I have encountered whose thai partner who can earn enough for herself. You are one lucky man. Never let her go. Never ever.

????????????????

I was only joking about the nosy part   ????

I don't mind engaging, that's what forums are for

I mentioned she makes her own money,  it's only natural to ask how.

My wife has always liked to have her own money

When she 1st came to Canada she hated relying on me for money.

After a few months we put up an ad for her to clean apartments.

She is an obsessive clean freak so it suited her.

Well she got extreme lucky in that her 1st call was a management company that had 100's of apartments.

They would pick her up and she'd have 2 apartments to clean and she made $25cad/hr cash

She loved it because they were empty apartments and she'd put on her music and clean.

Some Thai expats that knew us asked if I was embarrassed that I work in the stock market and my wife is cleaning apartments.

I said not at all and even had her clean some of the guys in the office place.

I had no hesitation to tell anyone that my wife was a cleaner, when she did that 

To me, a job is a job.

Her marking her own money then and now makes our relationship a 1000x better

That doesn't mean it works the same for everyone but it works for us.

She likes to say

"I like to have money in my pocket "

Edited by marc26
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, marc26 said:

I was only joking about the nosy part   ????

I don't mind engaging, that's what forums are for

I mentioned she makes her own money,  it's only natural to ask how.

My wife has always liked to have her own money

When she 1st came to Canada she hated relying on me for money.

After a few months we put up an ad for her to clean apartments.

She is an obsessive clean freak so it suited her.

Well she got extreme lucky in that her 1st call was a management company that had 100's of apartments.

They would pick her up and she'd have 2 apartments to clean and she made $25cad/hr cash

She loved it because they were empty apartments and she'd put on her music and clean.

Some Thai expats that knew us asked if I was embarrassed that I work in the stock market and my wife is cleaning apartments.

I said not at all and even had her clean some of the guys in the office place.

I had no hesitation to tell anyone that my wife was a cleaner, when she did that 

To me, a job is a job.

Her marking her own money then and now makes our relationship a 1000x better

That doesn't mean it works the same for everyone but it works for us.

She likes to say

"I like to have money in my pocket "

you are a nice man. a true gem.

She is lucky she has you. She could earn a lot more being with you in canada. 

When we all know the salary in thailand ranges from 10000-15000 for any normal job.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:46 AM, lovethai123 said:

I wanted to comment on this, because I think it is an interesting discussion...........

The 200-300k quoted was because I would want a high build quality and space that could fit in as a guest house with a house we eventually build.

I don't want to spend 100-150k for a shack that I can't use later.

My wife would be perfectly happy with a house that is 1.5/2mil baht. 

But to me, that would be wasting 1.5/2mil baht because it would be a house I don't enjoy staying in

I'd rather pay4/5/6mil for a house that I enjoy( our deal is whatever my wife contributes to a house, I double. She gives 1mil, I give 2mil for 3mil total).

This is a house her best friend just built for 1.2mil

My wife says she'd like a little bigger but I'd want it a lot more high end, not really concerned about having it too big,

1605893467626.jpg

1605893463761.jpg

5 hours ago, Dave246 said:

Guys,

I am British and have been married to my Thai wife for 10 years + to which she already had 3 young boys from her previous Thai marriage. Around 5 years ago I requested some advice on the subject of legally adopting the boys from the British Embassy (and to no surprise they couldn't offer zero advice) and told me to go directly to the Thai Adoption Agency in Bangkok. I took my wife and boys with me to this agency to find out the process and check if it was even possible. In summary the agency individual was very rude and not helpful indicating that the whole process could take over 2 years subject to my vetting and financial capability to support the boys!! "The Thai father hasn't paid a single baht towards the welfare of the children since I first met my wife over 13 years ago" yet they want to vet my commitment and financial standing - outrageous!! The key factor which put us off undertaking the adoption was that as soon as I filed the application and paperwork my wife would no longer have any parental control over the boys and this would be transferred to me as the Male in the relationship even though the process could take up to 2 years..... The whole system is totally biased to the male (father) having full control. My wife quite understandably wasn't very keen to sign over full custody which is completely understandable so we didn't proceed. My boys are now coming into their late teens and have simply decided to do a name change on their surnames so we are all a family unit carrying the same name. 

Thank you Mac for raising a good topic and I commend members on the good contributions to date. I will address some issues in relation to adoption and Dave246 has addressed some related matters. I am an Australian citizen and my wife (Pon) and I married in August 2014 after knowing each other for some 18 months. Pon has a birth son (born 21May2007) and in brief, the boy's father was a ratbag - Pon has Court papers and certificates granting her full legal custody and responsibility for their child. The father's name is on the birth certificate, he abandoned Pon within three months of the birth, happily consented to her having full custody and responsibility, has never contributed to the child's welfare since and went off to plant more seed.

Pon and I made extensive efforts in 2015 and 2016 for me to adopt her son and be the father by adoption. If I was Thai that would not have been a problem. 

However, for me being an Australian and you being a Canadian, it comes under Thai international adoptions and the rules are totally different and horribly difficult (conceptually, to prevent child trafficking). In summary, the dealbreaker is that neither the Australian Federal bureaucracy or the Thai Social Welfare Department bureaucracy were prepared to cut a bit of slack or concede some ground in order to achieve a result most beneficial for the mother and the child. Thailand's requirement is for a clear irrevocable certificate from the foreign adoptive parent's home government that the adopted child has full and free access to live in that foreign country. Australia's response is that Australia's process is for the Australian citizen to apply for a Partner Visa for the spouse plus dependent child. I do not know about Canada, but Partner visas to Australia are a two-stage process that take 5 to 6 years in total and cost in the order of AUD $12,000 to $15,000 with most of that as upfront fees at the start of the Stage I provisional Visa step. In line with the Australian government's money hungry approach, fees paid are non-refundable should you cancel the application partway through. As we have now successfully completed the 6 year process started in 2014, my wife and our son now have PR (permanent resident) status for Australia which means they can come and go from Australia without other visas, they can work, study and live in Australia until 2024 at which time they can get a 5 year renewal (subject to conditions ) and ultimately lead onto Australian citizenship should they so desire.

In my opinion, Canada is a more caring and compassionate country than Australia (I am in Canada every year for 3-6 weeks as my daughter married a Canadian in 2000, has been a medical doctor in Vancouver since 2003, plus has dual Australian Canadian citizenship as do their two children.)

In summary, the child adoption option will not get off the ground unless Canada would be prepared to issue a clear certificate that the adopted child would be allowed to live in Canada on a long-term or permanent resident basis. This clearance from Canada would be part of the prerequisite paperwork for lodgement through the Thai Social Welfare Department.

Perhaps a cleaner and easier option would be to provide financial support to the child's mother and the child stay with her biological mother in Thailand.

I wish you well in your decision-making, cheers for now.

• Thanks 1

I have (informally) adopted 2 girls, a 5 year old 13 years ago and her 8 year old cousin 9 years ago. The first girl was the daughter of my boyfriend and came to live with us, when I threw him out, she stayed. As a high nett worth individual, it seemed unfair for me to lift a child out of abject poverty into comparative luxury and then return her to poverty through no fault of her own. I’ve tried the formal adoption process, it is horrendous, either the adoption centre in Bangkok (a convent if I recall correctly) or the much easier process with the local provincial governor signing a paper. My lawyer told me the former was impossible and the local governor refused the latter. Rather stupidly if you ask me as my home is Thailand, I have no intention to return to the UK having a 20 year elite visa and the only reason I was doing it was to get her a British Passport.  Now she’s older, it’s no longer possible and I’m in the position of being morally, but not legally responsible for any wrongdoing of the girls. We’ve also adopted 3 chihuahua’s, dogs are definitely cheaper!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Does it really matter? It sounds like you're insinuating Thai girls married to foreign men are only capable of 1 type of occupation. If that's all you've encountered in Thailand you should really change the circle of people you associate with

I only wanted to know what kind of work a thai woman can get into so she could make money.

Edited by lovethai123

The mother needs to start with the custody of the child. She needs to file an application at the Amphur where she lives. Takes 1 to 3 days.

The mother has to declare full custody over the children before they reach the age of 7. Before age of 7 they don’t need the consent of the father before Thai court.

Quote from Link:

“According to section 1546 of CCCT, when a child is born and the mother is NOT married to the father, the father has no LEGAL RIGHTS over the child. Only the mother has rights (and obligations) over the child.”

https://thailawonline.com/en/family/children/custody-of-a-child-thailand.html

The name of the father on the birth certificate is not determinant.

After that you need to decide if you + spouse will adopt the child with your residence in Thailand (domestic adoption) or with your residence in Canada (international adoption).

Domestic adoption takes 7 to 24 months.

International adoptions takes 24 to 48 months.

Your application is valid for 2 years from the day of submitting and can be extended for 1 year. After 3 years you have to start the application process again. That’s why most parents stop the procedure.

The application for domestic adoption starts in BKK and they speak very good English. The home report/criminal records check is done by the local provincial social/child affairs department of your residence.

The application for international adoption starts at the Canadian adoption agency linked to the Thai Adoption Center in BKK.

Different adoption agencies in Canada are linked to different regions/countries.

Edited by Thorgal
Spelling

First you have to send all your money to Rod and Todd's adoption agency in Texas USA.  Then after a year of nothing, you have to send it again because apparently their child finding resources have been exhausted.  Some people repeat the cycle for decades.

Also flick though their catalogue of needy children; a slideshow of obvious stock photos from the 1980's.

Most of them are scammers.

Edited by TLeaf

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have (informally) adopted 2 girls, a 5 year old 13 years ago and her 8 year old cousin 9 years ago. The first girl was the daughter of my boyfriend and came to live with us, when I threw him out, she stayed. As a high nett worth individual, it seemed unfair for me to lift a child out of abject poverty into comparative luxury and then return her to poverty through no fault of her own. I’ve tried the formal adoption process, it is horrendous, either the adoption centre in Bangkok (a convent if I recall correctly) or the much easier process with the local provincial governor signing a paper. My lawyer told me the former was impossible and the local governor refused the latter. Rather stupidly if you ask me as my home is Thailand, I have no intention to return to the UK having a 20 year elite visa and the only reason I was doing it was to get her a British Passport.  Now she’s older, it’s no longer possible and I’m in the position of being morally, but not legally responsible for any wrongdoing of the girls. We’ve also adopted 3 chihuahua’s, dogs are definitely cheaper!

You need to be married to do the Thai domestic intra family adoption.

Adoption on single basis and/or without marriage is impossible in Thailand.

1 minute ago, Thorgal said:

You need to be 25 years old.

At older ages they can consider your limited  life expectation as not in favour for the adoption.

I was advised at the time of trying to adopt 2 abandoned girls, that as the adoptee you could not be more than 40 years older than the child to be adopted. This was about 11 years ago, things could have changed now.

7 hours ago, RemyDog said:

Thank you Mac for raising a good topic and I commend members on the good contributions to date. I will address some issues in relation to adoption and Dave246 has addressed some related matters. I am an Australian citizen and my wife (Pon) and I married in August 2014 after knowing each other for some 18 months. Pon has a birth son (born 21May2007) and in brief, the boy's father was a ratbag - Pon has Court papers and certificates granting her full legal custody and responsibility for their child. The father's name is on the birth certificate, he abandoned Pon within three months of the birth, happily consented to her having full custody and responsibility, has never contributed to the child's welfare since and went off to plant more seed.

Pon and I made extensive efforts in 2015 and 2016 for me to adopt her son and be the father by adoption. If I was Thai that would not have been a problem. 

However, for me being an Australian and you being a Canadian, it comes under Thai international adoptions and the rules are totally different and horribly difficult (conceptually, to prevent child trafficking). In summary, the dealbreaker is that neither the Australian Federal bureaucracy or the Thai Social Welfare Department bureaucracy were prepared to cut a bit of slack or concede some ground in order to achieve a result most beneficial for the mother and the child. Thailand's requirement is for a clear irrevocable certificate from the foreign adoptive parent's home government that the adopted child has full and free access to live in that foreign country. Australia's response is that Australia's process is for the Australian citizen to apply for a Partner Visa for the spouse plus dependent child. I do not know about Canada, but Partner visas to Australia are a two-stage process that take 5 to 6 years in total and cost in the order of AUD $12,000 to $15,000 with most of that as upfront fees at the start of the Stage I provisional Visa step. In line with the Australian government's money hungry approach, fees paid are non-refundable should you cancel the application partway through. As we have now successfully completed the 6 year process started in 2014, my wife and our son now have PR (permanent resident) status for Australia which means they can come and go from Australia without other visas, they can work, study and live in Australia until 2024 at which time they can get a 5 year renewal (subject to conditions ) and ultimately lead onto Australian citizenship should they so desire.

In my opinion, Canada is a more caring and compassionate country than Australia (I am in Canada every year for 3-6 weeks as my daughter married a Canadian in 2000, has been a medical doctor in Vancouver since 2003, plus has dual Australian Canadian citizenship as do their two children.)

In summary, the child adoption option will not get off the ground unless Canada would be prepared to issue a clear certificate that the adopted child would be allowed to live in Canada on a long-term or permanent resident basis. This clearance from Canada would be part of the prerequisite paperwork for lodgement through the Thai Social Welfare Department.

Perhaps a cleaner and easier option would be to provide financial support to the child's mother and the child stay with her biological mother in Thailand.

I wish you well in your decision-making, cheers for now.

OP needs to contact his justice department and ask if Canada will grant automatically Canadian nationality if the adoption process is finalised in Thailand.

Both countries are members of the convention of den Hague but transfer of nationality after adoption has to be written in their mutual agreement.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadians/adopt-child-abroad/processes/choose-process/immigration/eligibility.html

Both friends of mine gave up trying to legally adopt because the bureaucracy was astonishing and it was taking forever, I mean years.

It's not exactly cheap either.

As a result I haven't even bothered and I think the kids are better off with their mothers maiden name anyway.