Luggage handling fees only apply to cabs heading to and from Bangkok airports: Land Transport Dept

snoop1130

17 hours ago, fangless said:

Why have this charge?

What is it for.  If it is a "weight" charge then does a large obese passenger get charged more than a slim one. Or "sit one get one free"?

As I said in an earlier post Thailand is trying to become the "Hub of tourist red tape".

Either charge all bags on all routes or do not do it. KISS!

(KISS-Keep It Simple Stupid)

i know me and thai wife argue over things like this that everyday the officials come up with some new idea that everyone is like yeah right another non working gimmick that back fires after a day

Edited by portlandtree
not right

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

One would hope common sense prevails here, personally I think the minister is doing more damage to the industry by announcing this.

If a cab driver has the right to charge for luggage, then that driver should announce to the passenger at the time before the passenger is getting onto the cab that he/she will be charged XYZ for the bags, then the passenger can decide whether they will take the cab.

Personally, I don't take cabs, but if I had no choice and was advised that I was going to be charged for the bags being carted, then I would refuse the service and take a cab that doesn't charge for that service and tip that driver as usual which would cover such a charge anyway, common sense.

Cabs have a bad enough reputation and adding more to passengers for a service to me is just plain wrong, if the minister had  half a brain he would just add a small fare increase to cover any such charge as do major department stores to cards, not too hard to do, but you have to be able to think outside the square. 

Ministers?? Half a Brain?? In Thailand??

• Haha 1

For Don Meugn airport, Tell the driver you want to go to the Amari Hotel, since it is a hotel and not an airport they cannot charge you. then walk across the skyway to the airport 

then on your return, walk across the skyway to the Amari hotel and since it is not the airport there should be no charge 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

So that means cab drivers  anytime a tourist or farang gets into a taxi even to travel 3mins down the road not even remotely close to the airport, are going to be dodgy and try and charge it.

Way to go to increase distrust in taxi drivers

Taxi drivers only have themselves to blame, only three months ago, one tried to charge me 500Bt from the Mochit bus station to

the BTS. I wonder which route he would have taken me?

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Seriously you would do all of that, take so much effort, waste so much time, carry your bags up and over the bridge, just to save 20 baht??? 

That is an entirely new level of Cheap Charlie, wow. 

We are discuting the Prinzip. The new Cheating form.

It is a thai invention

2 hours ago, david2923 said:

If taxis can charge this, why is it trains and busses cannot?

Well the anomaly is that only the buses are actually fit for purpose in this respect.

The much lauded purpose built Airport Railway link is completely user unfriendly if encumbered with luggage (from an international airport it shouldn't take the wisdom of Solomon to foresee the requirement).

As for the Green & Yellow bludgers - seriously, a special fee to carry the luggage they have negated their ability to accommodate with a blasted LPG tank! Half the time the pax have to cuddle their suitcases in the cab or endure  it hanging from the trunk lashed up with ties enduring rain and damage. Realistically speaking only the rare in numbers small SUV type taxi-meters should be plying the airports, and have the gall to seek extra for toting luggage.

7 hours ago, hellohello123 said:

So that means cab drivers  anytime a tourist or farang gets into a taxi even to travel 3mins down the road not even remotely close to the airport, are going to be dodgy and try and charge it.

Way to go to increase distrust in taxi drivers

Now they will try charging bags even if u dont travel to airports. And now it will always be a discussion how many bags and how big. In the end the driver will just state an amount and you will need to defend yourself against him. Was bad before. Now it will be worse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

From the airport i would use the train anyway.many do now  I would think.Taxi  will come  later usually for me.But we all know once they see you they think they can get away with no meter.

Many times had problems with the taxi drivers, no meter, extra charge for this and that, argumentative and rude.

Now we always use the train from the airport. So easy, good price and quicker, with no grumpy taxi driver. 

These people do themselves out of work.

• Like 1

Just another Government authorised opportunity for Cab drivers to scam tourists,watch this space for articles on Cabbies charging for small bags etc etc.

They will always find a new way to shoot themselves in the foot,no matter how many times they have previously done it...TIT.

6 hours ago, visacrack said:

'26 inches' etc. Could you please get used to some basic degree of awareness and courtesy and use (if not exclusively then also) metric measurements? It is the global standard, you will have got the measures in cm (remember, we're in Thailand), so why do you just convert them and assume that everyone must follow and understand you?

Stop your classic anglo-autistic myth-mongering, get real: The only ones not metric in the world are the english and american dinosaurs. Adapt, at least in international settings. And don't forget time notation, 24-hour format is standard. 

Think you will find the U.K. has been metric since the early 1970's, having been taught this system as an infant in school myself, furthermore the metric system in Thailand although official is not unique as many other older Thai measurements whether directly connected or unconnected to the metric system are used in daily life,  Rai, Wa, Ngan, Niw, Baht, Tamleung, Saleung and even the Gallon  to name but a few.

• Like 1

could they come out with any thing more stupid?yes every day we open this site and there it is.an iq of a stunned mullet.so why is it only the airport.listen to some raving barking bs based upon how self important i am.its mindless u pay 50b as a surcharge leave it at that,i give up.get the airport open im off im done with it.one last rip off .what a releif and no more of this constant stupid stupid but im so important nonsense.beam me up!

6 hours ago, david2923 said:

For Don Meugn airport, Tell the driver you want to go to the Amari Hotel, since it is a hotel and not an airport they cannot charge you. then walk across the skyway to the airport 

then on your return, walk across the skyway to the Amari hotel and since it is not the airport there should be no charge 

Wow, it's only B20 per bag, you know.

Edited by Tick Nurner
  • Like 1