Bomb Explodes In Downtown Bangkok

george

It starts to take shape....

In the wake of latest bombing incident in Bangkok, Council for National Security (CNS) assistant secretary general Saprang Kalayanamitr Monday vowed to re-propose monitoring measures aimed at preventing violence.

"I have proposed them before and I am going to do so again," Saprang said. He is also an assistant army chief.

He declined to reveal the measures pending his discussions with relevant officials.

"If they don't listen, I will have to tell the society so," Saprang said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30033603

A few days ago, Saprang made a lunatic outing about "terrorist plans found in a flat in London"... In front of the ridicule, he backed down just after : "they were found... after the cold war".

Anyway. Just after : the little firecracker.

And now : Saprang is coming back full speed, with a very funny attitude : "I told you so ! If you had listened to me before... I have a secret plan for security" blablabla.

So from my point of view : it's like the culprit's signature. Non ?

:o

Interesting that this comes shortly after the military has helped itself to another huge allotment of funds (with the appropriate gov't rubber stamp)- which was not mentioned in the English press- but revealed on Hi-Thaksin.com. The Nation - or the Post- can't recall which- reported on it last week- typically- not to chastize the military for ransacking the public coffers- but to comment on the nefarious workings of the pro-Thaksin website. Yet the allegation appears true- A high ranking officer said they did indeed take the money- but security demands it so there was nothing wrong with that- what with all these undercurrents and all.

I can't find a link to the specific article- so perhaps someone else can confirm this.

And no - this is not speculation- simply an attempt to counter balance the ravings of the Thaksin-done-it crowd. But there is as MUCH reason to believe that this is designed to justify increased military supervision of the society as to believe that TRT people are behind it.

And that's not much.

Edited by blaze

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cabinet meeting today to address security measures in BKK

A Cabinet meeting today will involve discussions of security measures for Bangkok.

A meeting to be held between the Cabinet and the Chairman of the Council for National Security Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkrin today (May 8) will involve national security discussions, especially for the Bangkok Metropolitan area following a telephone booth bombing on Rajavithi 24 Road.

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Social Development and Human Security Paiboon Wattanasiritham will also be reporting on the Cabinet's views towards the new 2007 constitution draft, as well as proposing a monthly salary adjustment for teachers in the three southern border provinces.

The Ministry of Interior will be proposing measures to stimulate the economy in the three southern border provinces as well as strategic approaches to solving the issue of status of immigrants, and illegal aliens.

Finally the Ministry of Commerce will be proposing the Wholesale Retail Act for consideration, before submitting the act for approval and implementation by the National Legislative Assembly.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 08 May 2007

Gen. Saprang to re-propose security-monitoring measures

The Royal Thai Army Assistant Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Assistant Secretary-General, Gen. Saprang Kalayanamitr, says he will re-propose the measures for people to monitor their surroundings, with an aim to prevent social disorders and mishaps from happening.

Gen. Saprang says the measures will help prevent violence from taking place in Bangkok while referring to the recent bomb blast in a telephone booth in Ratchavithi on May 5th. Gen. Saprang says he has suggested these measures to relevant officials before, but they have neglected them. However, he says he will propose them again, but if they continue to turn them down, he would have to tell the public members about it.

Gen. Saprang says the measures are like an inoculation and they can effectively prevent terrorist acts, sabotages and crimes.

Mahachon Leader urges Govt. to step up security measures

Mahachon and Democrat parties call for the government to step up security measures for the country after many unsolved bomb attacks.

Mahachon Party leader Sanan Kachornprasat (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์) says more and more insurgent attacks have taken place since the September 19th Coup. However, he expresses his belief that the overall situation will get better after the middle of June this year.

Mr Sanan suggests that the government and relevant persons should keep on investigating the bombing cases and impose more effective security measures. Meanwhile, Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva urges the authority to find the masterminds of the attacks.

BMA meet with public utility agencies to install lights in high risk areas

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will be meeting with public utility agencies in preparation for light fixture installations to increase security throughout the city.

Representatives from public utility and infrastructure agencies would be meeting with him to discuss plans for the installation of lights and the relocation of telephone booths in high risk areas, following orders by Bangkok Governor, Mr. Apirak Gosayothin, for district directors throughout Bangkok to ensure security and gather intelligence in their jurisdiction by surveying and assessing the level of security at local telephone booths.

The Bangkok Governor said that plans to install CCTV systems throughout Bangkok are proceeding smoothly, with initial surveys of installation locations nearing completion. CCTV cameras will be installed in high risk areas first in accordance with government policy. Mr. Apirak voiced his belief that the recent Bangkok telephone booth bombing was merely an attempt to create unrest, and would not affect investment in Thailand.

Mahachon Leader urges Govt. to step up security measures

Mahachon Party leader Sanan Kachornprasat (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์) says more and more insurgent attacks have taken place since the September 19th Coup. However, he expresses his belief that the overall situation will get better after the middle of June this year.

What is the significance of the middle of June?

Metropolitan Police and relevant agencies evaluate on intelligence and political movements

The Metropolitan Police has joined a meeting with security-related agencies to evaluate intelligence and political movements after a bomb explosion took place at a telephone booth in front of Ratchavithee 24 Rd.

Metropolitan Police Commander Pol.Lt.Gen.Adisorn Nonsi (อดิศร นนทรีย์) attends a meeting with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and authorities to seek ways to adjust security measures in Bangkok.

Security officials have been deployed in risky areas, including Si Sao Thewet residence of Privy Councilor and Statesman Gen Prem Tinnasulanont (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์), the Victory Monument, department stores, and government offices.

No one claims responsibility for phone booth bombing

Supreme Commander Boonsrang Niumpradit has affirmed that the small explosion in the telephone booth in Ratchavithi, Bangkok on May 5th was aimed to discredit the government and the Council for National Security (CNS). However, no one has claimed to be responsible for the bombing.

Gen. Boonsrang says security measures in the state offices and the army headquarters in Bangkok have been tightened up following the recent bombing. He also asserts that public cooperation with the police is a must, and this issue will be discussed in the next CNS meeting.

Might I remind you folks of one of TV's rules:

3) Religious or racial slurs, rude and degrading comments towards women, or extremely negative views of Thailand will not be tolerated.

Jai Dee, thanks for the additional information. It's useful to see how the authorities are now reacting.

Endure, thanks for removing that previous post. I was about to report it when you stepped in. Strange, is it not, how some folk show exactly the behaviour of which they complain?

But there is as MUCH reason to believe that this is designed to justify increased military supervision of the society as to believe that TRT people are behind it.

I have no idea who is behind the latest bomb but worsening security situation is the last thing the junta needs. They have their hands full with the constitution draft and slowing economy already.

I don't think they actually plan a second coup against their own promises of new constitution and elections, it is completely suicidal and won't be supported by anyone, including the usual suspects.

But there is as MUCH reason to believe that this is designed to justify increased military supervision of the society as to believe that TRT people are behind it.

I have no idea who is behind the latest bomb but worsening security situation is the last thing the junta needs. They have their hands full with the constitution draft and slowing economy already.

I don't think they actually plan a second coup against their own promises of new constitution and elections, it is completely suicidal and won't be supported by anyone, including the usual suspects.

Not sure Plus- As long as the suspicions can continue to be directed to northern hillbillies and their rich overseas patrons- another NYEve and the public (ie, Bangkok) could be clammoring for a Saprong to the rescue. And happily forgo all this consitution, democracy nonsense in terms of some good old fashioned 'security' where every body knows there place.

Still coups can occur in many ways. There could be a coup and we would never know- only a smooth shift in policy with figure heads (head of gov't, army) still nominally in charge.

Metropolitan Police and relevant agencies evaluate on intelligence and political movements

The Metropolitan Police has joined a meeting with security-related agencies to evaluate intelligence and political movements after a bomb explosion took place at a telephone booth in front of Ratchavithee 24 Rd.

How about evaluating their own their own performance when investigating every single bomb or explosive in Bangkok over the last two years. Every single one has been a total failure.

..As long as the suspicions can continue to be directed to northern hillbillies and their rich overseas patrons- another NYEve and the public (ie, Bangkok) could be clammoring for a Saprong to the rescue. And happily forgo all this consitution, democracy nonsense in terms of some good old fashioned 'security' where every body knows there place.

That would work only if people were really worried about their security, but they don't. Latest bombs barely registered in public consciousness and had no effect on daily life whatsoever.

The effect on business, consumer and political confidence is far more important and another coup is not going to restore it. Moreover, they will still have to write a constitution and still have to hold the elections, in a far more hostile climate than it is now. It's far easier to push the current process through than start all over.

Another coup on pretext or restoring democracy won't work at all.

I don't see the scenario where the coup could be justified by deteriorating security situation either - the violence must increase to unimaginable scale first, and the security forces must show that they are capable of stopping itand those are two impossible conditions.

Gen Saprang is rightfully pissed off with Thaksin paying lobbyists to slag off the country in international media and he is probably dying to freeze all Thaksin's assets but I think he realises that the coup is the worst possible method of doing it.

..As long as the suspicions can continue to be directed to northern hillbillies and their rich overseas patrons- another NYEve and the public (ie, Bangkok) could be clammoring for a Saprong to the rescue. And happily forgo all this consitution, democracy nonsense in terms of some good old fashioned 'security' where every body knows there place.

That would work only if people were really worried about their security, but they don't. Latest bombs barely registered in public consciousness and had no effect on daily life whatsoever.

The effect on business, consumer and political confidence is far more important and another coup is not going to restore it. Moreover, they will still have to write a constitution and still have to hold the elections, in a far more hostile climate than it is now. It's far easier to push the current process through than start all over.

Another coup on pretext or restoring democracy won't work at all.

I don't see the scenario where the coup could be justified by deteriorating security situation either - the violence must increase to unimaginable scale first, and the security forces must show that they are capable of stopping itand those are two impossible conditions.

Gen Saprang is rightfully pissed off with Thaksin paying lobbyists to slag off the country in international media and he is probably dying to freeze all Thaksin's assets but I think he realises that the coup is the worst possible method of doing it.

I'm sure you recall that after the New Years Eve bombings, there was a marked insecurity in the people- in part because the people recognized that much more of that kind of stuff could seriously impact business confidence. And in fact, people blamed the TRT in part because they claimed that the bombings would undermine confidence in the government- a goal which many believed the TRT actively sought.

In a city that is not accustomed to being bombed- the threshold for 'unimaginable scale' is probably quite low.

As the last coup proved, there are many in this city that don't really mind military coups too much at all. And seem pretty content living under a military dictatorship- for them- being left to go about their business is all that matters. And if a more ruthless regime come to the fore- fine and dandy. Some actually believe that there are 'undercurrents' stirring that threaten the stability of the state. If Saprong and his ilk can make short work of them- go for it.

And Saprong wanted Thaksin's ass long before Thaksin sought the services of PR people.

Edited by blaze

NY bombings were close but they have to be repeated again and again and with serious casualties, they must be viewed as bombs to kill, not to scare. I doubt anyone would actually agree to carry out such attacks, not counting Southern muslims.

Even then the security forces will be the first to blame, they won't be viewed as knights on white horses at all.

I mean - Gen Saprang plotting to blow up dozens upon dozens of innocent Thais in order to stage a coup to confiscate Thaksin's assetst???? Give me a break.

NY bombings were close but they have to be repeated again and again and with serious casualties, they must be viewed as bombs to kill, not to scare. I doubt anyone would actually agree to carry out such attacks, not counting Southern muslims.

Even then the security forces will be the first to blame, they won't be viewed as knights on white horses at all.

I mean - Gen Saprang plotting to blow up dozens upon dozens of innocent Thais in order to stage a coup to confiscate Thaksin's assetst???? Give me a break.

I don't think Saprang cared one way or another about Thaksin's assets. He is concerned with maintaining the priviledges of the old elites. And the pre-eminance of the army. He himself is from an blue blood family and I doubt he likes the idea of rampant democracy threatening to put power into the hands of the great unwashed.

But as I've said I disagree that dozens of Thais would have to be killed. In fact I think the Thais would welcome a sterner approach if on two consecutive weekends, thirty non-injurious bombs go off. However I too don't want to believe that a Thai would willingly sacrifice innocent blood to gain power. (Despite Sonthi L's claims that people of worth were encouraging him to lead his PAD followers into a blood bath on the hope that HRH would appoint a new PM).

Priveleges of the old elites are not going anywhere and no one challenges them, that's the last thing on Saprang's mind.

Thaksin was the only one and was left pretty much on his own when his cronies realised that the clash with the elites was inevitable.

Finishing off Thaksin is a good lesson to any other aspiring challengers from big business circles, and the public doesn't care much about what "elites" are doing.

Sterner approach is what we are going to have now - more police, more CCTV cameras, more checkpoints - you don't need a coup for that.

Priveleges of the old elites are not going anywhere and no one challenges them, that's the last thing on Saprang's mind.

Thaksin was the only one and was left pretty much on his own when his cronies realised that the clash with the elites was inevitable.

Finishing off Thaksin is a good lesson to any other aspiring challengers from big business circles, and the public doesn't care much about what "elites" are doing.

Sterner approach is what we are going to have now - more police, more CCTV cameras, more checkpoints - you don't need a coup for that.

RTP alleges bomber of telephone booths as mentally disturbed

The Interim Royal Thai Police Commissioner General believes that telephone booth bombings in Bangkok are the work of a mentally disturbed person.

Interim Royal Thai Police Commission General Pol Gen Seripisuth Themeyawes (เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียาเวส) reports that no additional evidence have been found to link the culprits behind the bombing of telephone booths on Rajawithee 24 Road, and Major Cineplex Ratchayothin (รัชโยธิน). Authorities are gathering information on witnesses, methodology of the bombing, and the behavior of suspects.

Pol Gen Seripisuth affirmed that the bombing on Rajawithee 24 Road was perpetrated by mentally disturbed persons, who did not need to possess intimate knowledge on explosives as the bombs used where simple devices. Police are currently conducting a general investigation and have not sought out any particular group.

Pol Gen Seripisuth added that he has assigned the Deputy Royal Thai Police Commissioner General Pol Lt Gen Chongrak Chutanon (จงรัก จุฑานนท์ ) the task of overseeing the bombing investigation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 May 2007

As much as I hate to agree with you, I think you're right.

The elites stamped out the fire before it caught on. Thaksin may well have been as bad as the others, but millions of children will be cursed because of the elites regaining control - those regular kids will simply never have the ability to challenge the fat, rich, stupid little rich kids who will go on to greater things with big degrees and 101 IQs. Are you one of the cheerleaders for this outcome Plus?

QUOTE(Plus @ 2007-05-08 19:32:12)

What if this came true? What would you do? Would you stay in your paradise or leave for someplace with less cameras-----like London?