Tourism revenue in 2023 expected to reach 80% of 2019

webfact

I am sure that it is almost impossible to predict anything in a statistically meaningful way. If there was a downward trend with a long enough time span that seemed to show covid 19 was being managed in most countries impacting on any level of large scale tourism, yes, maybe! But the truth is as we write here, covid is in a very angry mood surging and ravaging its way with little light at the end of that tunnel.

20 minutes ago, Traubert said:

80% of 2019 levels. I.e. 80% of 40million tourists or the take thereof.

Give me strength.

Give you strength to wade through the masses of projected tourists? or the strength to continue viewing the drivel that comes from TAT?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism revenue in 2023 expected to reach 80% of 2019

By THE NATION

800_872019758cbfece.jpg?v=1606458323

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects revenue in 2023 to reach 80 per cent of what was achieved in 2019.

Revenue earned from the tourism sector will be Bt2.5 trillion in 2023, under the plan to revive the sector in 2022 and 2023.

TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said the Bt2.5 trillion in 2023 would amount to 80 per cent of the Bt3 trillion Thailand earned from tourism in 2019.

In 2021, the TAT aimed to encourage people to travel. The governor explained that his organisation would encourage numerous companies to hold more travel seminars.

However, Yuthasak said that the sector's recovery next year would be slow. He said 2021 would be the year to increase confidence among entrepreneurs and tourists.

He predicted that the first foreign groups to return to Thailand in 2021 would be Europeans, in case a Covid-19 vaccine was confirmed as successful.

He added that China had not allowed its citizens to travel on group tours, until a vaccine is ready. “This is what Chinese representatives told the Minister of Tourism and Sports on Wednesday,” he said.

He added that the tourism sector would still be an important factor in driving Thailand’s economy. The proportion of earnings generated by the sector would be 20 per cent of the gross domestic product, like in the times before Covid-19, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398677

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-27

is this an about face (or a loss of face) with the admission that the Chinese tourists are not going to save the thai tourism industry but it will be the European tourists, which this military dictatorship government have been actively discriminating against.

I would love to revisit the Thailand i first saw in 2016 but I think everything has changed now and will never be the same.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

3 years from now and a reliable vaccine.  Sure, I could see 80% as possible.

What about employment, the pandemic was perfect for a lot of companies to be able to lay off workforces that countries otherwise couldn't do without big payouts or employee protection laws. Those companies will have to slowly build their businesses back up while governments carry the welfare loads.

I can't see people travelling unless they have steady employment and on good salaries, that said, if you haven't already taken advantage of or seen there are 5 star hotels offering rooms with the like such as the Hilton for around $100 AUS (2,100 baht) a night at either Hua Hin 42 square metre refurbished twin room with seaview and double fold out sofa for 4 people, breakfast included, Phuket also offering some great bargains during the peak season, so why not take advantage of that and add that to your bucket list before the pandemic is over.

Tourism in Thailand will take 5 - 10 years to recover to its peak IMO because there are a lot of other factors to take into consideration as well, to mention there will be fierce competition around the globe to get tourist back and last I checked, Thai's don't like to be competitive if it means it's costing them money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1