Govt Readies For Lawsuit Against Youtube

TAWP

I miss youtube and I find this situation regrettable. However, from the Thai point of view, it does make alot of sense politically to make a stink about the "evil USA" disrespecting Thai royality, which is indeed almost a deity here. It is a classic way to divert attention from the real problems, no constitution, no elections, massive structural problems and internal conflicts.

So I wouldn't expect this to get resolved anytime soon. Putting it in perspective, what would google do if people posted cartoons depicting the Muslim God? Do you think the Islamic world would respond with mere lawsuits? They aren't that different as issues, we are talking about dieties in both cases.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody posting here have a Thai wife ,g/f or friend who also thinks their country's crazy or is it just mine? She often asks me "why they do this" and does not say "mai pen rai"

She's not alone in her opinions. Believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anybody posting here have a Thai wife ,g/f or friend who also thinks their country's crazy or is it just mine? She often asks me "why they do this" and does not say "mai pen rai"

She's not alone in her opinions. Believe me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

definitely true

The thai friends in my circle are pretty annoyed at the current state of the country. None of them liked the Thaksin regime but they view a lot of the recent developments as being more of the same corrupt power grabbing nonsense that has always plagued Thai society. Out of the ones that I know more than half have definite plans to go back overseas to live and work.

From my experiences it's the less educated and travelled populace who tends to go with the status quo (or the ones who have something to gain from it.) Unfortunately this comprises the vast majority of Thailand so things will never change.

Edited by wintermute

definitely true

Uhm my girlfriend believes that the government is right in blocking YouTube because of the offensive video but .......... she received an email with the video attached and watched it. She then forwarded it to all her friends to see "How disrespectful foreigners are" but refused to let me see it because it was so offensive. :o

Generally she just seems to say "mai pen rai" to everything they do.

I miss youtube and I find this situation regrettable. However, from the Thai point of view, it does make alot of sense politically to make a stink about the "evil USA" disrespecting Thai royality, which is indeed almost a deity here. It is a classic way to divert attention from the real problems, no constitution, no elections, massive structural problems and internal conflicts.

So I wouldn't expect this to get resolved anytime soon. Putting it in perspective, what would google do if people posted cartoons depicting the Muslim God? Do you think the Islamic world would respond with mere lawsuits? They aren't that different as issues, we are talking about dieties in both cases.

Good point, but ultimately isn't this just another publicity stunt to help force unity amongst Thais? It's also convenient that it's a US company, as they can be seen as an evil sibling of Abbott in the legal battle that really matters.

I have never seen in my life such stupidity. These people who run the government shouldn't be administrating a Kindergarten much less a country. Pity the poor Thai people who must live with the ridiculous aftermath left by these nudniks.

The world laughs at Thailand and yet they seem to believe that they are held in high esteem.

So far the Thai Government has screwed with the economy, pissed off foreigners, both investers and people who come here to spend money, got themselves on the USA watch list for stealing patents, and I could go on but for what?

The people of this country can't possibly believe they do a good job.

Do they?

Sorry to say that they still DO believe Thailand is the centre of the world. Having lived in England for the last 8 years my wife now knows the truth but try to get her to say that the government here is stupid is impossible. She just replies that "This is Thailand" What does that mean? She says you do not critisize or complain just accept!

I try to explain if the people allow idiots to rule them and say nothing when idiotic things are done then Thailand will never progress and nothing good will be done for the people. She just counters it with " Well you said Thaksin was crazy and wanted him out now look what you have" Problem is, I have no answer to that!

Chris

This will result in a hundred new videos that are even worse. For the sake of the subject's dignity I hope they reconsider things and just let the whole controversy die a quiet death.

It's already happening. Grab a proxy and check out YouTube. There's much worse on there than the original.

Edited by tropo

Do they?

Do you believe they actually think about it? This is a very introverted society that doesn't see life on a global level.

This will result in a hundred new videos that are even worse. For the sake of the subject's dignity I hope they reconsider things and just let the whole controversy die a quiet death.

It's already happening. Grab a proxy and check out YouTube. There's much worse on their than the original.

Seems like the game would be kinda boreing... You tube is banned, mission accomplished.... move the game up a notch. But then again we are dealing with teenies here. An unfair match for Thailand.

Do they?

Do you believe they actually think about it? This is a very introverted society that doesn't see life on a global level.

Thai society at the base level is no more introverted and jingoistic than most other countries. You only have to look at examples like the National Enquirer or the Daily Mail to see that those who don't travel don't understand that the world is full of people who are different.

Do they?

Thai society at the base level is no more introverted and jingoistic than most other countries. You only have to look at examples like the National Enquirer or the Daily Mail to see that those who don't travel don't understand that the world is full of people who are different.

Good illustration.

Do they?

Yes it is. Most youth in western countries have quite a knowledge of the world around them and desire to "see the world". Thais are very content to stay at home and bury their heads in the sand.

Edited by tropo

Sorry to say that they still DO believe Thailand is the centre of the world.

Name me one country that doesn't believe it's the centre of the world...

I'll do better. I'll name many. Notice I don't include the USA or UK.

1. Australia

2. New Zealand

3. Philippines

4. Netherlands

5. Sweden

6. Denmark

7. Norway

8. Canada

9. Iceland

10. Germany

11. Taiwan

12. Singapore

I could go on and on. You'll notice that in most of these countries idol worship is not common and English is widely spoken. Except for the Philippines, the standard of education is quite high.

Edited by tropo

snip....

Why you didn't include them? :D heeeerrmm :o , :D :D .

I know the truth about U tube........ grab a chair.....

It was an inside job :D

Yup!

Edited by KhunMarco

You'll notice that in most of these countries idol worship is not common and English is widely spoken.

What's the difference... aside from Buddhism not having a God?

I was expecting that one. It didn't take you long.

I mentioned MOST of these countries, not all.

There is no common idol worshipping religion in most of those countries. The only one where it is quite common is the Philippines (I'm not sure about Taiwan...will need to research this) in the form of the Catholic religion making it the odd one out with regard to education and idol worship.

Edited by tropo

1. Australia

2. New Zealand

3. Philippines

4. Netherlands

5. Sweden

6. Denmark

7. Norway

8. Canada

9. Iceland

10. Germany

11. Taiwan

12. Singapore

I could go on and on. You'll notice that in most of these countries idol worship is not common and English is widely spoken. Except for the Philippines, the standard of education is quite high.

Just curious as to the source of this information posted?

You need to do research in a lot more places than Taiwan :o

I've lived in 5 of those countries. In most of those countries I mentioned, the majority of people do not attend church, far less worship idols.

How about debating instead of just making smartass comments after you've been punked.

1. Australia

2. New Zealand

3. Philippines

4. Netherlands

5. Sweden

6. Denmark

7. Norway

8. Canada

9. Iceland

10. Germany

11. Taiwan

12. Singapore

I'm curious if you understand the nature of the debate? A member asked a question and I gave an answer which of course is MY personal opinion. You're welcome to add your own or question something specifically.

Edited by tropo

1. Australia

2. New Zealand

3. Philippines

4. Netherlands

5. Sweden

6. Denmark

7. Norway

8. Canada

9. Iceland

10. Germany

11. Taiwan

12. Singapore

I'm curious if you understand the nature of the debate? A member asked a question and I gave an answer which of course is MY personal opinion. You're welcome to add your own or question something specifically.

I see, well I guess I'll just have to beg to differ on the idea that Taiwanese 1) do not idol worship and 2) do not think they are the center of the world.

See, I did live in rural Taiwan, did speak Chinese and so am just speaking from my personal experience as well :o

Maybe, maybe not, although considering their historical connection to mainland China and their geographical location (small island) it's hard to believe that they consider themselves the center of the world.

Edited by tropo

How about debating instead of just making smartass comments after you've been punked.

You aren't even in the same league sonny. :D

Enjoy

Yet another non-sensical, dumb comment. I've never seen you debate yet. You just post annoying, antagonizing one-liners, sonny. :o

Enjoy :D

snip....

Why you didn't include them? :bah: heeeerrmm :o , :D :D .

I know the truth about U tube........ grab a chair.....

It was an inside job :D

Yup!

Easy enough to do. A smokescreen to enable a blanket ban because of other rather unflattering (to Thailand) vids floating out there. And lots of ol' Squarehead too... :D

1. Australia

2. New Zealand

3. Philippines

4. Netherlands

5. Sweden

6. Denmark

7. Norway

8. Canada

9. Iceland

10. Germany

11. Taiwan

12. Singapore

Well, what reason would the others have on your list for thinking that? :o