US to Thailand Mail Update?

I need to get a replacement debit card from Boston to Bangkok asap.  

Is USPS International Express Mail (I think that's what it's called) available?  If yes, anybody have experience how long it usually takes?

I saw a post from October that First Class letter is now available.  Still true?  About 15 days?

51 minutes ago, dddave said:

Is USPS International Express Mail (I think that's what it's called) available?  If yes, anybody have experience how long it usually takes?

It is still available and that is the correct name. About a week to get them to here. I suggest you use that service for something as important as your card. 

51 minutes ago, dddave said:

I saw a post from October that First Class letter is now available.  Still true?  About 15 days?

Yes available. Not sure about the 15 days now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

I have used Fed Ex in the past - arrived very quickly and tracking was dead on - I went to the Fed Ex office to meet it there and all went as scheduled... a bit more expensive but my bank paid the freight... 

Thanks

My bank refused to send it to me here.  Wish I could drop them but have to be in US to change over accounts.

5 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Mail from US takes anywhere between 2-3 weeks. Used to be consistent, but not since COVID.

How long does it takes now?, waiting alreading 8 weeks for letter sended by regular post. Time to ask to resend it or wait a little longer?

Edited by Jack Mountain

It's funny how this topic just appeared as I got an email from USPS tracking. I was sent a registered letter from Maryland on the 10th of November. It just processed into Laksi Mail Center Thailand today. I suppose it will take another couple of days to find me out here in Yasothon.

• Like 1

For me, first class from Boston to Bangkok (10110), recently was 14 days. (New Visa CC re-mailed to my Thai Post P.O. Box using a standard $1.20 airmail stamp.)

Is the issuing bank mailing it directly, or is it being re-mailed? I've had CC companies express service cards to me here free of charge, or for a small fee like $15.

Do you receive mail reliably where you reside?

If urgent I would go with with FedEx or DHL. These should be four-ish days.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

For me, first class from Boston to Bangkok (10110), recently was 14 days. (New Visa CC re-mailed to my Thai Post P.O. Box using a standard $1.20 airmail stamp.)

Is the issuing bank mailing it directly, or is it being re-mailed? I've had CC companies express service cards to me here free of charge, or for a small fee like $15.

Do you receive mail reliably where you reside?

If urgent I would go with with FedEx or DHL. These should be four-ish days.

I'll probably have my sister use USPS Priority mail.  Charles Schwab sent my replacement debit card to Thailand no problem;  @#$%# TD Bank "Oh, so sorry, Can not."

I'm fortunate, My apartment building (also 10110) gets excellent mail/parcel service.  Older lady receptionist is really conscientious.  I give her a big tin of cookies every New Year, along with an envelope.

• Like 1

I've given up on USPS and Thai post a long time ago when it comes to important mail. They are unreliable plus the fact some banks and others won't mail to Thailand. So I use a re-mail service in America have mail sent there and I picked how it comes to Thailand.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, ehs818 said:

I just got a replacement Citibank MasterCard from the US. It took 10 days using USPS Priority Mail. My sister mailed it to me and it cost $17.20. It's traceable online and it was stress free.

Great.

I have questions though.

Was it required to state the contents of that letter?

If so was credit card  stated?

If not stated and contents statement required what was put?

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Great.

I have questions though.

Was it required to state the contents of that letter?

If so was credit card  stated?

If not stated and contents statement required what was put?

I have just filled that part in as "Documents."

• Like 1

I’ve used both USPS intl priority AND FedEx.  FedEx tracking is much better with reports at every transfer point and usually takes 4 days from Seattle to Chiang Mai.  The USPS Intl prior usually took 10 days or more...but that was pre-covid.  I’ve always relied,on FedEx for credit and debit cards sent here via my remail service.  It’s not THAT much more expensive and the peace of mind it provides is priceless.  Also note that the customs declaration paperwork should state “correspondence”.  No need to provide any additional details....

best of luck!

• Like 1
On 12/1/2020 at 8:26 AM, mtls2005 said:

I think that's $26.35 flat-rate envelope, 6 ~ 10 days. Tracking

Standard airmail is $1.20, 14 days no tracking.

When dealing with the issuing company I've had good luck circumventing any hesitance to mail a replacement card to Thailand by saying that I am traveling, and now with COVID that case is even easier to make. People travel, and lose their cards, all the time.

I would reference the Khet (district), and the nearest main road (if you're not on one), in any address. Or if you've received mail from the U.S. previously then use that address.

I used USPS flat rate priority intl mail from Denver in early October. It took 11 days to get to Bangkok (tracking) and 5 days in Thai mail to Huahin! Thai mail service is unpredictable at best. 

3 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I used USPS flat rate priority intl mail from Denver in early October. It took 11 days to get to Bangkok (tracking) and 5 days in Thai mail to Huahin! Thai mail service is unpredictable at best. 

Does usps tracking end when it gets to Thailand? 

On 12/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, pmarlin said:

I've given up on USPS and Thai post a long time ago when it comes to important mail. They are unreliable plus the fact some banks and others won't mail to Thailand. So I use a re-mail service in America have mail sent there and I picked how it comes to Thailand.

It varies I know but for me have been using normal US mail to myself here in Bangkok for the last 28 years and know of nothing that was lost (in Thailand) but have had several temporarly lost by US mail service sending to islands rather than Thailand (Trinidad and Tobago several times) and then long wait to actually get months later.

For one bank that does not send overseas have them send to sister and she re-mails.  

On 11/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, dddave said:

I need to get a replacement debit card from Boston to Bangkok asap.  

All I can tell you is that I am still waiting on the US $1200.00 check mailed by the IRS in early November. My American Express Card was due to be renewed in December. I contacted them and they sent the new card via FedEx and I received within a week.

• Like 1
On 11/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, kenk24 said:

I have used Fed Ex in the past - arrived very quickly and tracking was dead on - I went to the Fed Ex office to meet it there and all went as scheduled... a bit more expensive but my bank paid the freight... 

Not sure who your bank is, but Wells Fargo also covers the Fed X costs here as well.

Another thing to think about; several of the big name shipping companies won't ship credit cards. I've had to hide them in lots of paper and tell them it's documents before they would ship it. One of them actually felt the item through the envelope and asked if it was a credit card, answered yes, and they refused--this before I figured out to disguise them.

Edited by ross163103
Spelling