Water

viciouskitty74

How you folks drink water in Thailand.

My Step Family stopped me from drinking even hot water, boiled from the kettle. Water was from the tap.

They only insisted on bottled filtered water bought in for consumption.

I am thinking of buying 2 Brite Water Filter Jugs for the family in Thailand.

Anyone can advise whether Brite Water Filter Jugs will be useful or other brands of Filter Jugs is bettter.

This has been dicussed before.

The 'Brita' jugs are designed for water that is already potable, they clean up the taste and remove some dissoved minerals, if the water is not drinkable before filtering with one it is unlikely to be drinkable after. Consider also the availability of replacement filter cartridges.

That said, we use a Kenwood filter brought from the UK, I refill the cartridges with activated charcoal and ion-exchange granules from Tesco, seems to work ok but our water is drinkable anyway.

You should spend your money on a good multi-stage filter with UV zapper, get it from Homepro or Tesco etc. readily refilled and probably cheaper than the Brita anyway.

why wouldn't you just by bottled water? its cheap and other than the plastic being bad for the environment you get a good taste and portability for free.

why wouldn't you just by bottled water? its cheap and other than the plastic being bad for the environment you get a good taste and portability for free.

I agree... bottled and delivered very cheaply... in a sparklets type water dispenser or just in straight up sealed bottles.. its all very cheap ... and they even recycle the bottles... I wouldn't trust the UV filter with reverse osmosis type of situation, if the filters get gummed up or the UV light blows a fuse how do you know if your getting truly clean water?

Boiled water is flat and tasteless (as is anything made with it) because it's had all the oxygen boiled out of it. While it kills bacteria, and microorganisms in it, it won't get rid of heavy metals and sediments that the filters will.

Buying it is the way to go. If you are in a major city the water is clean enough you can brush your teeth and stuff with it, unlike many other tropical countries.

True CDNVIC,

Here in Korat there is no problem brushing teeth from the tap. Washing plates etc... I would go as far as to say you could probably drink from the toilet shower in my appartment ( as I never use if for it's intented purpose!) but I get "free" bottled water when I fill up with Diesel and that does for me!

True CDNVIC,

Here in Korat there is no problem brushing teeth from the tap. Washing plates etc... I would go as far as to say you could probably drink from the toilet shower in my appartment ( as I never use if for it's intented purpose!) but I get "free" bottled water when I fill up with Diesel and that does for me!

what is a toilet shower, pray tell?