SCB charge for Debit Card?

giddyup

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

What virtual card.? Depending on your income, or money on the bank, they allow you a daily limit. I have 500,000 baht per day. 

But only the bank can do that, it's always better to let them put the application on.

At Bangkok Bank it's only 50,000 baht. 

I have a virtual card for internet shopping from K-bank. Had it for  years.

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Debit-Card/Pages/web-card.aspx

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

All banks have a phone application these days. Your phone doesn't have internet, so how should that work? Where have you been in the last 20 years?

The bank doesn't have to provide free WIFI, you need it to get online and do what you wanna do. 

When you're downloading an application, you'll choose a password and most banks will do that for you.

I've got one from Bangkok Bank, one from SCB and another one from another bank.

It's very convenient because you can pay for your water, electricity, you can put money on your phone. Now most ATMS's work Cardless. You have to be online then follow the advice.

I don't use internet on my phone which we have to pay monthly so I might as well use ATM or via counter.

Unless the bank provided free wifi, I wouldn't switch to cardless.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

Just now, phetphet said:

What gets me is how the staff always ask when my card will expire or if I have insurance. Always trying to get a commission.

OP. most of the Thai banks have different levels of card, with different perks or levels of insurance. A bit like having a Bronze, Silver, or Gold card for example. You have probable signed up for one with a higher level of insurance. Not that it means much in terms of coverage.

OP seems to have the more expensive Plus option. There's also the 200 baht per year card, with the same options. 

Debit Card (scb.co.th)

Screenshot (156).png

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I don't use internet on my phone which we have to pay monthly so I might as well use ATM or via counter.

Unless the bank provided free wifi, I wouldn't switch to cardless.

I'm sure that the bank will allow you to use their internet for your transaction. They can type in the password and do not save it on your phone. 

The first time is difficult to follow their advice, but you get used to it.

You do not have to switch to cardless, it's just an option you can use. 

4 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Sorry, never heard of such a card. 

4 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Sorry, never heard of such a card. 

It's called K-Bank Shopping Card. I think other banks offer something similar , but are a type of pre-paid card.

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

It's called K-Bank Shopping Card. I think other banks offer something similar , but are a type of pre-paid card.

It is called K-web shopping card, and has a limit of 100.000 Baht per day, and can only be used for online purchases. It is certified by Visa.

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/Debit-Card/Pages/web-card.aspx

On 12/7/2020 at 4:03 PM, Guderian said:

I've got a similar card from SCB, 200 Baht a year. I've tried using it as a debit card to pay for stuff online, but it's never worked. No idea why, as my account usually has a couple of hundred thousand Baht in it.

Something's wrong there.

DM me you account number, sort code, full name & DOB then I'll try to get that fixed up for you fella ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

what app? Never used any app before.

My phone doesn't have internet connection, will it work?

It only has Wi-fi but I doubt the bank provide free wi-fi to connect.

If your phone has Wi_Fi it has internet capability. You have to enable network data. 

On 12/7/2020 at 2:37 PM, giddyup said:

Seems a pretty steep fee for the use of a card that allows you to make ATM withdrawals or cash payments.

I just checked my SCB debit card statement for transactions via the net and the only fee I paid is 200 baht (annually) so yes yours does appear to be excessive, if I were you I would look into it.

I have had my account for 13 plus years and it has the Mastercard logo on it and a chip, I think they call it Smart card or something like that.

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I just checked my SCB debit card statement for transactions via the net and the only fee I paid is 200 baht (annually) so yes yours does appear to be excessive, if I were you I would look into it.

Didn't I just say they are refunding me 4000 baht?

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 8:04 AM, Rawairat said:

I've given up on the ATM card, kept losing them or leaving them in the ATM machine. Now I just use my smart phone with the cardless option. Only good on SCB ATMs but I can live with that especially with scan and pay for a lot of transactions. I still get a B200 annual fee which I was told was for my ATM card but is really an account fee and replacing the card has a B100 administrative fee. About the same or less than my overseas accounts. Citibank USA charge me $25/month if my balance goes below $25,000!!

On 12/8/2020 at 10:36 AM, Yellowtail said:

I think there has always been an out of province fee with the cards. 

Again, card-less has no annual fee and no withdrawal fees, so if all you're using the card for is to get cash it is really the only way to go.

If you use your ATM card like credit card, or outside the country, or can't be bothered to use one of your bank's ATMs you are pretty much stuck with paying fees. Unless of course you are using a no-fees card from a bank in your home country....

On 12/8/2020 at 11:22 AM, Fairynuff said:

My branch made a point of telling me about the no fee anywhere card and for a number of years I used it as such all over the country. Since I was charged a fee out of province a few weeks ago I’ve gone mostly cardless.

Glad to read these replies, my thoughts exactly.

I've recently been using the Bangkok Bank Bualuang App more and I notice it's being accepted more places too. 
So far it covers everything I usually do with the card, i.e. ATM withdrawals and POS-Tap n Go and QR Code and it has a few other very handy payment features I can't do with the card.

My issue was not about the 300 baht yearly fee, but security.  If anyone gets a hold of my card they can buy under 1500 baht using Tap n Go very easily, over 1500 just requires a signature, no ID verification.  
With the app, it requires Passcode/biometric to my phone and to the app.  Much more secure IMO.