The Bee Gees’ Barry Gibb: ‘There’s fame and there’s ultra-fame – it can destroy you’

snoop1130

The Bee Gees’ Barry Gibb: ‘There’s fame and there’s ultra-fame – it can destroy you’

By Alexis Petridis

2550.jpg

‘I care that the music lives, and I do everything in my power to enhance that’ … Barry Gibb. Photograph: Rose Marie Cromwell/New York Times/Redux/eyevine

From underneath a black Stetson hat, Barry Gibb stares out of my laptop screen.

He is in Miami, where he has lived since 1974 when the Bee Gees’ career was in the doldrums and Eric Clapton suggested a change of scenery might do them good.

They relocated en masse, moving into the house Clapton immortalised in the title of his album 461 Ocean Boulevard.

Gibb never really left, although he still has a home in England.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/dec/07/the-bee-gees-barry-gibb-theres-fame-and-theres-ultra-fame-it-can-destroy-you

• Like 1

Remember when they came to England and started having hits. Enjoyed their music and the big movie. I don’t think he was complaining about the fame, he was talking about how it was like being in the center of a hurricane....and in there you are out of control. I laugh at all this people who think it is a breeze being famous....nothing can prepare you for being thrown in the deep end and all that goes with it. Michael Caine said that being rich was hard to deal with was a rumor put around by the rich people to keep the poor down.

14 hours ago, Mansell said:

Remember when they came to England and started having hits. Enjoyed their music and the big movie. I don’t think he was complaining about the fame, he was talking about how it was like being in the center of a hurricane....and in there you are out of control. I laugh at all this people who think it is a breeze being famous....nothing can prepare you for being thrown in the deep end and all that goes with it. Michael Caine said that being rich was hard to deal with was a rumor put around by the rich people to keep the poor down.

I guess making all that luverly money makes it hard to walk away. I just think that having made the loot, they shouldn't complain about the way they made the money.

• Like 1