USD Cash Rate now Less than 30 Bhat in Bangkok!

19 minutes ago, Barnabe said:

Malaysia is much better for a 100% foreigner lifestyle.

Much better quality western food, and cheaper than in Thailand. More people speak English fluently, less of a cultural shock all around.

I would say Thailand is going to lose a lot of tourists, expats, and manufacturing to Vietnam in the not so distant future.  

• Like 2

I have been coming to Thailand 14 years now, Married to a nice Thai lady a little over 11 years and we have build a hose there.  As long as I remember the BHT USD rate has being bouncing between 33 and 30 bht , some times going lower sometimes going higher . in fact I use the  $3 =100 bht  $30=1000  $300= 10,000   30.000 is about $1000, for quick calculations in my mind. 

So i don't know what the controversy about today's rated is  ?  on the average , it is what it has been for the past 15 years. 

I get it, you lost 5% from the average,  $50 per $1000 , of course I would rather have $50 more, but it nothing that would change my behaviour, or cause me worry. I will make it up when it goes 33 bht 

17 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I would say Thailand is going to lose a lot of tourists, expats, and manufacturing to Vietnam in the not so distant future.  

And also China and Malaysia will get manufacturing plants from Thailand, due to the new trade group with low or no tariffs/duty. However, it may take a few years for the factories to move. Japan can now export motor vehicles to Thailand, rather than produce any in Thailand.

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I have been coming to Thailand 14 years now, Married to a nice Thai lady a little over 11 years and we have build a hose there.  As long as I remember the BHT USD rate has being bouncing between 33 and 30 bht , some times going lower sometimes going higher . in fact I use the  $3 =100 bht  $30=1000  $300= 10,000   30.000 is about $1000, for quick calculations in my mind. 

So i don't know what the controversy about today's rated is  ?  on the average , it is what it has been for the past 15 years. 

I get it, you lost 5% from the average,  $50 per $1000 , of course I would rather have $50 more, but it nothing that would change my behaviour, or cause me worry. I will make it up when it goes 33 bht 

3 baht loss from 33to 30 baht is 10%. Considering the bank gives 0.5% interest or nothing, 10% is significant in 1 or 2 years.

Also, 30 a was major physiological support level for USD. Now the next support level is 28.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

3 baht loss from 33to 30 baht is 10%. Considering the bank gives 0.5% interest or nothing, 10% is significant in 1 or 2 years.

Also, 30 a was major physiological support level for USD. Now the next support level is 28.

Yea I understand that. but the 10% is from the highest point of the Average to the lowest point of the average, Loses or gains should be considered   from the  median, 31.5%

But putting the math aside, the point I was trying to make is that  today is no different than the last 15 years I am aware of ,  Mostly between 33 and 30 , sometimes a little higher Woohoo!!! ????sometime a little lower  Boohoo????, but IMO nothing to get too excited about.   

55 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Already lost. Vietnam should come up with a decent long stay visa for westerners. In cambodia it costs a little less than 300 usd for a full one year visa. no stupid 90 day report, no adress reports, travel as u please.

but i heard that vietnam was actually making it harder for foreigners to stay long time(pre covid).

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

today is no different than the last 15 years I am aware of ,  Mostly between 33 and 30 , sometimes a little higher Woohoo!!! ????sometime a little lower  Boohoo????,

In December 2015 you would get 36 Baht for a dollar at the good exchanges. Can't call that little higher than 33

16 minutes ago, Susco said:

In December 2015 you would get 36 Baht for a dollar at the good exchanges. Can't call that little higher than 33

Yea for a week maybe, an insignificant aberration hardly affecting the mean average in the past 15 years, If you want to talk about glory days in 2006 it hit 41 . IMO my point stands. 

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Yea I understand that. but the 10% is from the highest point of the Average to the lowest point of the average, Loses or gains should be considered   from the  median, 31.5%

But putting the math aside, the point I was trying to make is that  today is no different than the last 15 years I am aware of ,  Mostly between 33 and 30 , sometimes a little higher Woohoo!!! ????sometime a little lower  Boohoo????, but IMO nothing to get too excited about.   

I recommend you check the history and facts. For your convenience, actual, USD was over 36 THB between Sept. 28, 2015 and Oct.4, 2015. On Oct. 4, 2015 it closed at 36.42047. From May 2015 until about Sept 2017,  USD was always above 33THB. So why excludes these periods and values?

Then 36/29 results in 24% difference, a substantial difference.

Edited by Banana7

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I recommend you check the history and facts. For your convenience, actual, USD was over 36 THB between Sept. 28, 2015 and Oct.4, 2015. On Oct. 4, 2015 it closed at 36.42047. From May 2015 until about Sept 2017,  USD was always above 33THB. So why excludes these periods and values?

Then 36/29 results in 24% difference, a substantial difference.

image.png.ac460a01146a2b1aadeffaeb00e73f82.png

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/usd/USD-to-THB

On 12/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, lovethai123 said:

Already lost. Vietnam should come up with a decent long stay visa for westerners. In cambodia it costs a little less than 300 usd for a full one year visa. no stupid 90 day report, no adress reports, travel as u please.

but i heard that vietnam was actually making it harder for foreigners to stay long time(pre covid).

I have some expat friends in Vietnam. 

$50USD for a 5 year multiple entry visa.  $10USD every 3 months, and you don't have to show up for this.  No other hoops or requirements. 

Best visa I know of in the region. 

Yes, there are many sham marriages there. Authorities don't care.  ????   

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, there are many sham marriages there. Authorities don't care.  ????   

sham marriages are there in thailand also. ask those "foreign" money lenders from a particular south asian nation. they all are married to a thai woman, in some cases the woman doesnt even know. when she knows, she gets some monetary compensation during the I/O check or visits.  ????????????

good for the vietnam visa info u gave . thanks 

A picture says more than a thousand words.

USD/THB from 1990.

Of course the peak rates were during the Asian crisis 1997/1998.

About 56 for USD.

The 30 mark has been tested a couple of times.

Current rate not far from a 20 year low in 2013.

(click to enlarge)

usd_thb.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

A picture says more than a thousand words.

USD/THB from 1990.

Of course the peak rates were during the Asian crisis 1997/1998.

About 56 for USD.

The 30 mark has been tested a couple of times.

Current rate not far from a 20 year low in 2013.

(click to enlarge)

usd_thb.jpg

Just imagine if those nitpicking the daily fluctuation of the usd exchange rate whether it is above or below usd 30 and if they had realistically based their base exchange rate for a long stay in Thailand on the rate of 26 to the USD as it was before 1997 crash

On 12/25/2020 at 4:12 PM, userabcd said:

Just imagine if those nitpicking the daily fluctuation of the usd exchange rate whether it is above or below usd 30 and if they had realistically based their base exchange rate for a long stay in Thailand on the rate of 26 to the USD as it was before 1997 crash

The cost of living has increased here as well.