Magnificent jewel of the North: Chiang Mai

snoop1130

Magnificent jewel of the North: Chiang Mai

by Leonard H. Le Blanc III 

30507710-1170x878.jpg

Chiang Mai (sometimes spelled Chiengmei or Chiangmai) has more than enough charm to spare for all – for residents and visitors alike. It is well known for its cool winter climate, lush foliage, roses and other colourful flora, native handicrafts, and fascinating scenery. It has earned its reputation as one of Thailand’s most favourite tourist attractions.

The capital of Chiang Mai province, the city is about 685km (or 425 mi) north of Bangkok. Situated close to the country’s highest mountains, it boasts spectacular panoramic backdrops. These impressive peaks include Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon, the tallest mountain in Thailand. Chiang Mai occupies a strategic position along the Ping River, a major tributary of the Chao Phaya. The city has long been a regional trade crossroads for centuries. Its key location has contributed to the city’s historic importance. The whole metropolitan area counts about one million people, Thailand’s second largest city. The name Chiang Mai means ‘New City’ in Thai.

The city was founded in either 1294 or 1296 by King Mangrai as the new capital of the Lanna Kingdom. According to local historic lore, the city was built on the site of an older site that was populated by the Lawa ethnic group. Thai historians now accept that Chiang Mai was built as a Northern fort city to potentially stop the Southern invasion from the Mongols in the 13th century. Old period Chinese garrison towns inspired the city’s square moat design. The outlying sophisticated irrigation system has many of the hallmarks of old Khmer Empire irrigation construction techniques. On its foundation, Chiang Mai succeeded Chiang Rai, the old Lanna Kingdom capital.

Like much of early Thailand history, Chiang Mai’s story is shrouded in legend due to the lack of surviving written records. Since all buildings were constructed of wood, little remains of old structures in a tropical climate. So archaeologists have had to rely on coins, pot shards, and datable ceramics plus the annals of the surrounding civilisations in Burma, China, Laos and Cambodia for information or clues.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/magnificent-jewel-of-the-north-chiang-mai/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand 2020-12-09
  • Like 1

Good try. When I used to visit CM twenty or thirty years ago, it was a delightful place. Now? It is over developed beyond my wildest imagination, chock full of traffic jams, due to a total lack of traffic mitigation, and the air quality is often as high as 500 for PM 2.5 - not something one wants to be taking into their lungs, for 6 months of the year. 

It does have its charms. But, the glory days are well behind it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Good try. When I used to visit CM twenty or thirty years ago, it was a delightful place. Now? It is over developed beyond my wildest imagination, chock full of traffic jams, due to a total lack of traffic mitigation, and the air quality is often as high as 500 for PM 2.5 - not something one wants to be taking into their lungs, for 6 months of the year. 

It does have its charms. But, the glory days are well behind it. 

Sounds like most of the places in different parts of the world I have re visited years later full of people, cars and congestion.

I watched Sydney grow the same over thirty years or more which is one reason I left.