Americans get stern holiday warning: 'No Christmas parties' due to COVID

webfact

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is true, that I do not get why many republicans and Trump supporters refuse to wear a mask during an epidemic. You are right. I do not get that. 

There ya go, making it all political again. 
You blokes just don’t get it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:39 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A sad, tragic indictment of the Trump Admin. and the person a minority of Americans elected as their president in 2016.  He could have made a difference and offered leadership to set an example that could have avoided much of the carnage... But instead, he fiddled while the U.S. burns.

I guess the fact that the world has a vaccine 5 years ahead of time, means nothing? Without  Operation Warp Speed, under president Trumps leadership. millions more would possibly die. 

The accelerated programs are funded through $10 billion from Congress and $3 billion directed for National Institutes of Health (NIH) research. 
England is already vaccinating it's citizens with something the United States funded.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, habanero said:

I guess the fact that the world has a vaccine 5 years ahead of time, means nothing? Without  Operation Warp Speed, under president Trumps leadership. millions more would possibly die. 

The accelerated programs are funded through $10 billion from Congress and $3 billion directed for National Institutes of Health (NIH) research. 
England is already vaccinating it's citizens with something the United States funded.

Already addressed the misguided notion you put forward here in this other thread:

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is true, that I do not get why many republicans and Trump supporters refuse to wear a mask during an epidemic. You are right. I do not get that. 

I can't speak for those who attend political rallies, protests or riots but you cannot enter any business here without a mask regardless of party affiliation

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Already addressed the misguided notion you put forward here in this other thread:

I guess the fact that the UK was able to being ivaccination before the USA has escaped some, did DJT drive that one as well??????

6 hours ago, habanero said:

And you think if it had been someone else as President. the idea of accelerated vaccine development would have occurred to anyone? Fauci and others wouldn't have had a clue? Donald Trump invented the idea of a vaccine to fight a virus? Not sure what you mean by 5 years ahead of time. The fact is that new technologies make it possible to develop a vaccine much more quickly nowadays.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed. It seems that it's OK for politicians to break their own rules as long as they are on the "correct side". I can only imagine the outrage had it been a GOP politician, but seems the "do as I say not as I do" mantra is a Democrat thing.

You can only imagine the outrage? GOP politicians do it openly every day to the applause of their supporters. As for the reaction to it by progressives, by this point outrage fatigue has set in. It makes about much sense as getting outraged over the behavior of lemmings.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Sure, Mike and others like him are the problem. And not the politicians  who refuse to order or mask mandates for state and local governments. As the above article I linked to shows, that's where the blame overwhelmingly lies.

You are still arguing politics. Two wrongs don’t make a right. 

The BLM and anti Trump protests are as much to blame as the Trump rallies. The virus doesn’t care what are your “beliefs”

it makes 300,000 dead.
So far. 

They are ALL idiots. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

You are still arguing politics. Two wrongs don’t make a right. 

The BLM and anti Trump protests are as much to blame as the Trump rallies. The virus doesn’t care what are your “beliefs”

it makes 300,000 dead.
So far. 

They are ALL idiots. 

Please. Stop with the fake impartiality. For one thing BLM protestors overwhelmingly do wear masks. Epidemiologist did a study using mobile phone tracing to see if they could find evidence of outbreaks following protests. What's more, BLM are private citizens. It makes no sense to compare their behavior to the President of the United States, his various officers, and the disgraceful conduct of Republican politicians. In some state, these Republican governors have actually banned local mandates to wear masks. 

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, Jingthing said:

Biden is opening his mouth because someone is needed to act as president as the current sitting president certainly isn't.

whattyamean??! not acting presidential??

he's doing important pressidential-leader-of-the-free-world stuff!

americans are dropping like flies, over 3000 per day, one every 30 seconds.  so our glorious leader did the only appropriate thing.  he flew in his private taxpayer-funder helicopter to a football game, AND he buzzed a crowd of his supporters protesting against a free and fair election.....three times.

he's busy!  thriftily spending about a quarter million dollars on his 4-hour sports experience while approximately 500 americans died.

hmmm....how much covid vaccine could ya buy for a quarter million bucks?  stupid question, amiright?  priorities.

whatever........it is what it is.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Please. Stop with the fake impartiality. For one thing BLM protestors overwhelmingly do wear masks. Epidemiologist did a study using mobile phone tracing to see if they could find evidence of outbreaks following protests. What's more, BLM are private citizens. It makes no sense to compare their behavior to the President of the United States, his various officers, and the disgraceful conduct of Republican politicians. In some state, these Republican governors have actually banned local mandates to wear masks. 

There you go again. Making it political. Blah, blah, blah.

I know people like yourself and Mike can’t see how ridiculous you are arguing about left versus right. I accept that.

The covid virus and myself are apolitical. Just because I criticize the anti Trump protests for being idiotic super spreader events in the middle of a pandemic doesn’t mean that I support Trump. He is an idiot as well.

They are all stark raving mad protesting and rallying during a pandemic. And the result is currently 300,000 dead which will end up being of half a million, just so some people can get their political point across. 

Meanwhile the world economy is rooted, millions of small business around the world waiting for the irresponsible and selfish idiots to wake up to themselves.
I suppose we will have to wait until you celebrate Santa Claus Day. Because that is so important right, more important than lives and livelihoods.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

There you go again. Making it political. Blah, blah, blah.

I know people like yourself and Mike can’t see how ridiculous you are arguing about left versus right. I accept that.

The covid virus and myself are apolitical. Just because I criticize the anti Trump protests for being idiotic super spreader events in the middle of a pandemic doesn’t mean that I support Trump. He is an idiot as well.

They are all stark raving mad protesting and rallying during a pandemic. And the result is currently 300,000 dead which will end up being of half a million, just so some people can get their political point across. 

Meanwhile the world economy is rooted, millions of small business around the world waiting for the irresponsible and selfish idiots to wake up to themselves.
I suppose we will have to wait until you celebrate Santa Claus Day. Because that is so important right, more important than lives and livelihoods.

I am not the one making it political. Donald Trump made it political by defying public health experts. Republican governors made it political by defying the advice of public health experts. And as I've pointed out you've repeatedly lied about the anti-Trump protestors not wearing masks. And I pointed out in support of  that epidemiologists determined that their demonstrations weren't superspreder events. A disease is not political. And government responses to it shouldn't be. But they were. And the consequences are the 10's of thousands are dead who shouldn't be.

*Deleted post edited out*

You can cherry pick photos all you lock. Some by focusing on the foreground of a few. But as I pointed out and you apparently can't accept. epidemilogical studies show otherwise. What's more, these are private citizens. And still more. How widespread are these demonstrations compared to the actions of governors forbidding mask mandates and the politicans who followed suit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Tens of thousands. 

And tens of thousands would have been saved if the morons below had of socially isolated and also wore masks. Wearing it under your chin is not effective, merely a political statement. They should have been socially distancing following medical advice. Not shouting spit all over each other. Millions of them for months on end during a pandemic. 

The left and the right ignored medical advice nit picking over political differences. Morons.

Please. Overwhemingly as epidemiological studies show, it was the right that ignored the pandemic. How many major Democratic politicians have banned mask mandates?

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Please. Overwhemingly as epidemiological studies show, it was the right that ignored the pandemic. How many major Democratic politicians have banned mask mandates?

Two wrongs don’t make a right. 

if you are claiming millions of protestors all over the country not socially isolating and not masks didnt spread covid it is simply what you want to believe. Exactly the same as the trump supporters who are also in denial.

* I generally agree with BLM, but mass protests during a pandemic is idiotic. I know you don’t “get it”.

Both sides need a good kick up the azz.

Edited by Natai Beach

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Sure, Mike and others like him are the problem. And not the politicians  who refuse to order or mask mandates for state and local governments. As the above article I linked to shows, that's where the blame overwhelmingly lies.

Thanks. Let us not ever admit responsibility, let us not ever admit we backed the wrong horse, and it was that horse who accelerated the crisis, to an unimaginable degree. Always shirk responsibility, and blame others.

Yes, I am the problem. I was the reason the US has 3,000 deaths a day now. I take responsibility for that. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

if you are claiming millions of protestors all over the country not socially isolating and not masks didnt spread covid it is simply what you want to believe. Exactly the same as the trump supporters who are also in denial.

* I generally agree with BLM, but mass protests during a pandemic is idiotic. I know you don’t “get it”.

BLM was better at wearing masks than the Trump protesters.  Hardly any are wearing masks.  Following the lies pushed by their cult leader, Trump.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Here's some science for you.

The effect of Black Lives Matter protests on coronavirus cases, explained

Nearly a month later, Covid-19 diagnoses are climbing, hitting an all-time high on Thursday, with the US arguably in the midst of a second wave of coronavirus cases.

But multiple analyses suggest the protests are not to blame, according to what we know so far. Initial data, reported in the Wall Street Journal and BuzzFeed, found no uptick in Covid-19 cases in cities with major protests. And a recent working paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) found that there was “no significant divergence in the [Covid-19] trends after the protests” in counties with protests and those without.

Did Black Lives Matter protests cause a coronavirus surge? - Vox

NEW STUDY DETAILS WHY THE BLACK LIVES MATTER PROTESTS DID NOT CONTRIBUTE TO THE SURGE OF COVID-19 CASES

“I have not seen any peer-reviewed research linking outdoor protests (or really any major outdoor events) to the surge here in Texas,” said Rodney Rohde, PhD, an associate dean for research at Texas State’s College of Health Professions who focuses on public health microbiology.

Texas had been one of the first states to start reopening — including indoor facilities such as bars and movie theaters. But the surge of COVID-19 cases in recent weeks has led to a reimposition of some lockdown measures and a requirement in some regions to wear face masks when in public.

“However, if one looks to the research literature regarding ‘opening up too soon’ and gatherings in restaurants, bars, or similar locations… then we do see some published research around surges in cases and hospitalization, including some super spreader events.”

New study details why the Black Lives Matter Protests did not contribute to the surge of COVID-19 cases | The Milwaukee Independent

I've seen some rebuttals to this, but an interesting read.  Either way, makes sense.  Fauci said if you are in a crowd of 100 people, there's a 100% chance one is shedding the virus. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/523789-18-trump-rallies-have-led-to-30k-cases-700-deaths-stanford-university

18 Trump rallies have led to 30,000 COVID-19 cases: Stanford University study

A new study from Stanford University found that 18 of President Trump’s campaign rallies have led to over 30,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and likely led to over 700 deaths. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 6:12 PM, placeholder said:

And you think if it had been someone else as President. the idea of accelerated vaccine development would have occurred to anyone? Fauci and others wouldn't have had a clue? Donald Trump invented the idea of a vaccine to fight a virus? Not sure what you mean by 5 years ahead of time. The fact is that new technologies make it possible to develop a vaccine much more quickly nowadays.

The point is, in the U.S. the FDA takes on average 5-6 years in approving a new drug. Trump was able to get them to move the time table up.  Take it for what it's worth!

57 minutes ago, habanero said:

The point is, in the U.S. the FDA takes on average 5-6 years in approving a new drug. Trump was able to get them to move the time table up.  Take it for what it's worth!

This had little to do with Trump.   During a state of emergency the FDA has special authorization to grant Emergency use.  The vaccine is not approved, but they are permitted under the special authority.   I suspect the actual approval will be a few years away.

Edited by Credo

4 hours ago, habanero said:

Because otherwise they would have resisted? Because it would only have occurred to Trump that in the face of a pandemic - though not much of one, according to Trump - that an accelerated program might be a good idea? And I guess he waited until after Easter to start it up because he was expecting it to go away by then.

"Mr Trump, a Republican, said: "We're going to be opening relatively soon... I would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter."

He added in a subsequent interview: "Easter is a very special day for me... and you'll have packed churches all over our country."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52029546

Nothing augurs doom for the pandemic like "packed churches."

Edited by placeholder

6 hours ago, habanero said:

It was an emergency use authorization.  Not a normal one.  Trump didn't do anything to help this other than cause hundreds of thousands to get sick and die. Thus the need for the emergency use authorization.  Something that's not needed here.  Wonder why?