advice about building a house in Khon Kaen

2 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Or:

Build a house, maximum 1Million Baht.

Tell her, you help with 200k, she has to put in 300k and rest, she gets a mortgage.

If they f.... up, you just walk away.

Better 200k than everything. As long there are mortgage payments, probably they keep the love going. ????

Not even that. It's his girlfriend, not wife of many years.

The next would be a pick up truck to buy furniture and it will never end.

Is she gambling would be one of my biggest concerns.

• Like 2

Having lived and rented in Thailand for nearly 3 years and already spent a sum of money on rent not far off what my gf claims we could build a house for I do have to wonder whether it'd be better to continue spending on something you have nothing to show for apart from receipts to your landlord or making a slightly risky investment that depending on circumstances I might be able to recoup one day

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, cookiesnmayo said:

Having lived and rented in Thailand for nearly 3 years and already spent a sum of money on rent not far off what my gf claims we could build a house for I do have to wonder whether it'd be better to continue spending on something you have nothing to show for apart from receipts to your landlord or making a slightly risky investment that depending on circumstances I might be able to recoup one day

I highly doubt your 3 year rent covers the price of a similar house. 

Or perhaps you're getting majorly ripped off. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cookiesnmayo said:

If you spend on a rent in 3 years the price of building a house

it's time to renegociate your rent or maybe change from this manor with 5 rooms 

for something more modest.

Be careful that the money your gf claims you could build a house for is largely underevaluated

it's common practice for the Thais to do that to push the ''investissor'' in the game.

They also usualy overevaluate their gains and possessions for a face reason.

She has probably said to you the father's land to build the house worth x millions bahts

when in fact it worths absolutely nothing

You don't use the good word, it's not a ''risky investment''

to build a house in Thailand isn't an investment, it's never give you any money back

in fact it not give you any right or possession, it's just a gift to your girlfriend.

You don't say where you are located at the moment, if you are in Bangkok or on the sea side

are you ready to put yourself in the misery in the middle of nowhere with nothing for you in

the vicinity? Just for financial reasons?

Can i ask you how old are you and what is the situation of your gf?

She works? How much of her personal money she will brings in the project?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cookiesnmayo said:

Either you’re paying too much in rent or you are being lied to about the build costs.

I am puzzled how you could believe that you would be able to recover any of the costs?

Personally, I wouldn’t do this unless I could easily absorb the costs. Otherwise, don’t do it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Who in their right mind would build a house for a girl friend he might not even know well enough?

Most of them have secrets that go from debts to husbands under a different name.

OP, these words are there to help you, not to make you look like an idiot. 

Really? words to help you? from somebody who lives in fear of failed relationships, and may not have a million baht back pocket money to spare on a modest home, or would rather lose money in 'renting' rather than give it to a 'girlfriend' or wife in the shape of a home and future

Each to their own but advice is best taken only when one can evaluate the source

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

Really? words to help you? from somebody who lives in fear of failed relationships, and may not have a million baht back pocket money to spare on a modest home, or would rather lose money in 'renting' rather than give it to a 'girlfriend' or wife in the shape of a home and future

Each to their own but advice is best taken only when one can evaluate the source

I’ve never viewed renting as lost money because I can generate more from the capital than the rent. That’s an argument that sits on firmer ground when you have full legal title, as in your home country. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

I’ve never viewed renting as lost money because I can generate more from the capital than the rent. That’s an argument that sits on firmer ground when you have full legal title, as in your home country. 

To girlfriend it is lost money, money that could have paid for a house for her, and so many farangs wonder why their relationships fail, well I guess if you put a little interest on your money above the interests of your future companion that may provide a clue ????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Don't even consider this, unless you have been with her for years already, know her really well, have implicit trust in her family, know they are really good solid, hard working people, and without any parasites in the family. 

And even then, only invest as much as you are prepared to walk away from. 

Yeah and be prepared to walk because spending a million on a truck and renting a house is not too smart!!!

10 minutes ago, 473geo said:

To girlfriend it is lost money, money that could have paid for a house for her, and so many farangs wonder why their relationships fail, well I guess if you put a little interest on your money above the interests of your future companion that may provide a clue ????

I would prefer a companion able to generate her own income

if i had to pay for her, i will prefer to rent and pay the girl on an hour or a daily basis

at least i can change when i want (Or when it's needed) 

i wonder why most of the girls in Thailand seem to wait the farang to start to 

build a house, buy a condo or a land, a car and so on

i am afraid their interest is more about your money than yourself

that may provide a clue too ????

a relationship should works in the 2 senses

you can not have the flux of money from one side

(Usualy the old big ugly western man)  with the other side

(Usualy the young slim beautiful girl) just giving sex and her presence

if you call it a couple i am sorry but you are in denial

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

I would prefer a companion able to generate her own income

if i had to pay for her, i will prefer to rent and pay the girl on an hour or a daily basis

at least i can change when i want (Or when it's needed) 

i wonder why most of the girls in Thailand seem to wait the farang to start to 

build a house, buy a condo or a car and so on

i am afraid their interest is more about your money than yourself

that may provide a clue too ????

Yep hookers generate their own income so bullseye there for you - that's you sorted, so really you don't fit the having a relationship mode, more using women for sex, so why would you buy them a 'home' to entertain other guys? perhaps I should have put 'expected long term' companion rather than expect that be understood. Thanks for explaining your lifestyle and preferences surely we are not all the same.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, cookiesnmayo said:

Rent on a 2Mbht house is generally around 10kbht/month.

Living in your home that you rent, is not the same as hoping she lets you live in her home that you paid for.

As many posters in this forum have found out to their cost.

1. A 360kbht house built on her family land in a rural Thai village is probably not a home, or village where you would choose to live.

2. The divorce judge can't award her your landlords property. (This is true in every country in the world)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Rent on a 2Mbht house is generally around 10kbht/month.

Living in your home that you rent, is not the same as hoping she lets you live in her home that you paid for.

As many posters in this forum have found out to their cost.

1. A 360kbht house built on her family land in a rural Thai village is probably not a home, or village where you would choose to live.

2. The divorce judge can't award her your landlords property. (This is true in every country in the world)

it's nice to see you are back !

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, teacherclaire said:

Who in their right mind would build a house for a girl friend he might not even know well enough?

Most of them have secrets that go from debts to husbands under a different name.

I was amazed how much debt they are in, First question I used to ask How Much Debt are you In?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

The source? Are 20 years of permanently living here enough? 

I know a few Thai women who have the third or fourth Farang, two houses, cars, etc.

But the foreigners do not know that they are only a number. 

Nobody from these places would talk about her past; they see them as winners. 

Some of them are gambling the husband's cash away and don't give a rat's ar_e about him.

We all have our opinion about certain things.

If one million baht is nothing for you, including the theater that might be involved, it's a different ball game.

Building a house for a gf on her dad's land is asking for trouble. 

Sure and there are plenty on this forum who have made a good life in Thailand, so why do you look for the negative, then tar all Thai women with the same brush? that is exactly my meaning of taking the source into account. I did mention that some may not have a million baht 'back pocket money' also which would likely be the root of don't build comments.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Yep hookers generate their own income so bullseye there for you - that's you sorted, so really you don't fit the having a relationship mode, more using women for sex, so why would you buy them a 'home' to entertain other guys? perhaps I should have put 'expected long term' companion rather than expect that be understood. Thanks for explaining your lifestyle and preferences surely we are not all the same.

Just told wife to change her resume from sales manager to a hoe. 

Edited by Pravda
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

You can turn it like that if it fill your agenda, no problem

the ''longterm relationships'' you are talking about seem

in fact to be kept afloat as long as the money flow, or untill a

better option is at the door. 

Of course you are probably the exception and it's why you seem to be upset?

On another topic you was boasting about sending a fortune to your Thai wife

how many millions so far? At what point do you ask to yourself if she is with

you for you or for your money?

I've never had a fortune, so how could I boast about sending it ???? what I have frequently stated is money is not the be all and end all of my life I have happily shared it as I pass through life ???? I have a wife and 2 children, a wife who was happy to live with her mother for 7 years before we built a modest home, on land given by the mother in law. The reason I don't need to send a fortune is no rent to pay, my wife can take good care of our children, be there to help her mother, work on the farm daily, me? I suggest I come across as not being self centered or selfish. Could be that assists in my relationship. Who knows, thanks for your interest in my lifestyle, just lucky I guess.

Oh and one more thing don't come to country where there are beautiful but poor women, flash your smile and money, then not come up with the goods for fear of the relationship failing, because in that case you are the one who failed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Sure and there are plenty on this forum who have made a good life in Thailand, so why do you look for the negative, then tar all Thai women with the same brush? that is exactly my meaning of taking the source into account. I did mention that some may not have a million baht 'back pocket money' also which would likely be the root of don't build comments.

I never said that all Thai women are bad. But considering that it's a girl friend and building on daddy's land is indeed asking for problems.

I only gave you some examples of people I personally know and have met before.

That's all I had to say. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

If you spend on a rent in 3 years the price of building a house

it's time to renegociate your rent or maybe change from this manor with 5 rooms 

for something more modest.

Be careful that the money your gf claims you could build a house for is largely underevaluated

it's common practice for the Thais to do that to push the ''investissor'' in the game.

They also usualy overevaluate their gains and possessions for a face reason.

She has probably said to you the father's land to build the house worth x millions bahts

when in fact it worths absolutely nothing

You don't use the good word, it's not a ''risky investment''

to build a house in Thailand isn't an investment, it's never give you any money back

in fact it not give you any right or possession, it's just a gift to your girlfriend.

You don't say where you are located at the moment, if you are in Bangkok or on the sea side

are you ready to put yourself in the misery in the middle of nowhere with nothing for you in

the vicinity? Just for financial reasons?

Can i ask you how old are you and what is the situation of your gf?

She works? How much of her personal money she will brings in the project?

I'm living in Bangkok. We're both 30 years old. She's an estate agent. She's not prepared to invest any of her own and yes sometimes you have to make a decision purely for financial reasons.

To the posters who are saying I'm being ripped off, I say that if you want to live in nice condo with good facilities, in a good location then you're spending 30k or more.

I got talking to a guy in a bar couple of years ago who had just come living in the area and he was looking to buy a villa he said he had a G/F after a couple of times seeing him I asked him how's it going...........? baring in mind Ive lived in this area for 20 years, he she has found some to look at, OK where then he tells of one villa next door to me it was for sale so I asked him how much......? 12 million Baht now somebody is lying here obviously I know the owners who at that time weren't here, 

A couple of days later he brings the G/F to the bar and we get talking and I ask her in Thai how much but they dont know I live next door I could tell on her face GO 6 maak, the short story she was trying to stitch him up for 3 million Baht, The sale price was 9 million Baht maybe I could have got it for less, 

The moral of the story is although you might be paying 15,000 Baht rent,, 5000 might be going in her pocket the real rent is 10,000 a month

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

I never said that all Thai women are bad. But considering that it's a girl friend and building on daddy's land is indeed asking for problems.

I only gave you some examples of people I personally know and have met before.

That's all I had to say. 

This where I beg to differ, my comment on the source is relevant here

A plot of land to build can be seen as a generous gesture, as it was in my case, saved considerable money on the house build, it was a premium plot specially picked by my mother in law, she was happy to help us and has been there for us all along. No way did I see her gesture as entrapment, I took it for the kind gesture it was.

We have now a modest home where my children can always return and feel welcome, as with any of the family, we all pull together, and most of my relatives, also my wife work much harder than I do, I am just fortunate I get paid more.

I fully understand my Thailand may not be the Thailand others 'know' just lucky I guess

• Like 2