Kasikornbank reports big jump in land loans for investment

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So, let me get this right, you borrow up to 80% of the value of your house, give it to the bank, who could lose it and then take your house ? Sounds a good deal for the bank to me !

And then the bank puts it on their books at 3 x its tru value so cooking the books.

I’m guessing with news on the vaccine, perhaps rich people think the economic bottom is (close to) being reached. So good bargains on lands is possible now from people in financial troubles. Rich people could use these loans to increase property assets, perhaps sell again in a few years at a decent profit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Venom said:

Only, the rich don't need loans.

The extremely rich might not need loans, but debts are in most countries tax deductible and there might also be cash flow reasons.Very rich people might also use companies to buy property (again for tax reasons) and then using a loan might also make more sense perhaps.

People that are above average wealthy, but not extremely rich, might opt for loans in order to buy more property. Either use 100% to buy 1 property or buy 5 properties by paying cash 20% and making loans for the remaining 80%. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

You might be surprised how many outstanding loans the richest people in the world have

You are correct. Of course depends on the interest rate. At only slightly above zero percent interest it really makes no sense to pay cash. 99.99% of the population don't have access to those low interest loans. I suspect many will be losing their homes in the not to distant future.