Leaders to push Brexit trade talks beyond Sunday deadline

webfact

42 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

About the same as the EU's it's the best deal, take it or leave it.

Guess you've never been a professional negotiator.

Not quite the same.

The EU’s ‘it’s the best deal, take it or leave it’ is an open ended offer.

Johnson’s ‘back down by a Sunday night or we’ll walk’ is a threat with a definitive time attached.

The EU’s offer remains open, Johnson’s threat turned out to be hollow.

Your guess, as so often, is groundless.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

We have been having four years  of talks , there needs to come a point where you realise both sides will not come to an agreement , sticking points with no solution .

Need to just accept that and move on , or will there be endless talks that will go on forever ? 

Neither side wants a no deal or to be seen to have lost ,so talks will continue until a fudge is agreed.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not quite the same.

The EU’s ‘it’s the best deal, take it or leave it’ is an open ended offer.

Johnson’s ‘back down by a Sunday night or we’ll walk’ is a threat with a definitive time attached.

The EU’s offer remains open, Johnson’s threat turned out to be hollow.

Your guess, as so often, is groundless.

In my opinion both sides are as bad as one another , courting disaster when 98% of a deal is agreed is ridiculous gamesmenship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

There are still these Brexiteer buffoons screaming walk away completely disregarding that 98% of the deal has been agreed. Absolute clowns

Perhaps these roasters can tell us all here to whom we're actually going to sell all these fish to !

Nuclear agreements, Security information shared etc etc all thrown in the bin for some mackeral that the Brits rarely eat in the first place is just pure insanity

Quite comical reading a Spanish forum with people literally crying that roaming will be end. I'm sat there thinking these people have no idea of whats coming in the real world if they think mobile roaming is important in the overall picture

98%? There was the Irishman quoting 97% only yesterday and somebody else said 95% during the week. What has been agreed today?

It's a pity the actual negotiations are secret and they don't publish any details of the percentages they quote.

These figures are reminiscent of (and probably pulled from the same orifice) as the Thai government railways and airport construction completion progress claims. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The level playing field, demanded by Germany the most, is to try and avoid what Germany really fears. It's businesses facing real competition. 

How can the UK compete against Germany? Is there some industrial niche in the UK that we have forgotten about?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

How can the UK compete against Germany? Is there some industrial niche in the UK that we have forgotten about?

against Germany the UK cannot, but these last decades it did better than France, as a manufacturing/industrial nation

Until Brexit, of course. Honda confirmed that manufacturing at its Swindon will close down, Jaguar Land Rover is in shutdown now (but has ambitious development plans see below)

if you like newspapers with CAPITALS for a niche clientele

image.thumb.png.88021dab625e21c22630c5c01f83e655.png

.. and this comes from a specialized UK Brexit tabloid: today you can also read

image.thumb.png.e799fa5d4825109354098b81c5588490.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

How does the EU support massive state aid to a car plant in Slovenia but still wants to prevent the UK from state aid to our industries?

It will probably close soon anyway because nobody is buying the new LR Defender.

Yes JLR. Attwood a leading Brexiteer as well.  Who would have thought it.  Maybe he's been talking to Dyson ????

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Simple : the EU doesn't want to prevent state aid. 

We've always known the EU only likes aid to go to it's own pet projects. It really doesn't like the UK doing it though, right on the EU doorstep.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Attwood JLR??? Brexiteer???

JLR make the Defender.  Attwood owns JLR.  The Defender is being made in Slovakia after he jumped ship from the UK.  As  I said he is a leading Brexiteer as is Dyson who also moved his business to Singapore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

JLR make the Defender.  Attwood owns JLR.  The Defender is being made in Slovakia after he jumped ship from the UK.  As  I said he is a leading Brexiteer as is Dyson who also moved his business to Singapore.

Got me there -  I thought JLR was owned by Tata, a bunch of Indians.

4 hours ago, Loiner said:

Got me there -  I thought JLR was owned by Tata, a bunch of Indians.

Jaguar Landrover also thinks its owned by Tata Motors according to  this website

Jaguar Land Rover is a West Midlands automotive company, a wholly owned subsiduary of India's Tata Motors.

updated 

06:47, 12 DEC 2020

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/all-about/jaguar-land-rover

Haven't got a clue who Attwood is