Covid scares have not affected Pattaya tourism, says PBTA

webfact

4pm.jpg
Picture: Manager Online

An advisor to the Pattaya Business and Tourism Association told Manager that the recent cases of Covid-19 in the country had not had a detrimental effect on tourism at the resort. 

The cases caused principally by workers returning illegally from Myanmar have caused jitters in Thailand. 

But Sinchai Wattanasatsathorn said this has not affected Pattaya as he expressed optimism for the New Year holidays.

He said that the long weekend that just passed had the expected level of tourists though he conceded it was not as busy as it had been for the fireworks weekend last month. 

He put this down to people saving up for a New Year trip. 

4pm1.jpg
Picture: Manager Online

This past weekend there were no appreciable cancellations as a result of Covid fears.

Citing figures from the Flipper hotel group he said that occupancy was expected to be 80% at New Year.

He said that the private sector was stressing safety and health under the SHA or safety and health administration measures.

Source: Manager Online

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said that the long weekend that just passed had the expected level of tourists though he conceded it was not as busy as it had been for the fireworks weekend last month. 

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Surely that is because there were no appreciable bookings in the first place.

Wrong.

• Confused 2

Uhm I think they man the high end hotels.

With the government paying 50% of the fee and good promotions, most of the big hotels are fully booked at weekends. My friend went on a company outing last weekend in Pattaya and the hotel said that they had 100% occupancy.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

My goodness, when I read the headline I thought he was talking about the whole year, not just the last week! Please make the headlines more definitive, like "Recent Covid scares have not affected Pattaya tourism.... "

Absolute balderdash! Even on the more recent packed holidays, the beaches don't look like that. MUST have been a file photo. Everywhere you go in Pattaya/Jomtien, boarded up windows from closed shops are everywhere. I drove through Walking Street 9:00 p.m. a couple of Friday nights ago, not ONE tourist. Sorry that dog don't hunt.

• Like 1