Residents of Bangkok advised to avoid out-door activities as air quality worsens

snoop1130

Residents of Bangkok advised to avoid out-door activities as air quality worsens

256A1D7C-B541-4BD0-8A7F-229B72203E3B.jpeg

People living in Bangkok have been advised to suspend out-door activities, to go outdoors only if necessary and to wear face masks all the time while they are outdoors, as the amount of PM2.5 in 58 areas in Bangkok and surrounding provinces has exceeded the 50-micron safety level, reaching as high as 70-90 microns in at least ten areas.

According to the Air4Thai website today, air quality in Bangkok and its peripherals ranges from good to bad, with the amount of PM2.5 in the atmosphere being measured at between 37 and 90 microns at 7am this morning (Monday), with Charunsanitwong Road, where PM2.5 particulate has risen to 90 microns, being especially badly affected.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has instructed officials in all districts in Bangkok to step up checks of excessive emissions from automobiles, construction sites that spew dust into the air and emissions from factories.

City Permanent Secretary Silpasuey Raveesaengsoon said today that the city administration will launch a public campaign to urge motorists to reduce the use of their vehicles and to usepublic transport, to reduce exhaust emissions.

Burning of waste in the open is banned and city officials will increase water spraying to reduce dust on roads, trees and in the air.

She said that the public can access real-time reports about air quality via www.bangkokairquality.com, www.prbangkok.com, www.air4bangkok.com or AirBKK application.

Elderly people, children, those with chronic diseases and others at risk are advised to stay indoors and leave home only if necessary and to wear face masks all the time if they are outdoors, said Silpasuey.

Pollution Control Department Director-General Atthaphol Charoenchansa told Thai PBS today that air quality in Bangkok and adjacent areas has deteriorated for five days in a row, due to a lack of wind and accumulated traffic congestion as most people return to work today after the long weekend.

He hinted that, if the situation does not improve in the next couple of days, tighter measures may be introduced, such as car use restrictions and a truck ban in the worst-affected areas, adding that the National Environment Committee will be consulted about further action, if the situation does not improve.

The areas with excessive PM2.5 today are:

Charunsanitwong Road in Bang Phlad district – 90 microns

Din Daeng Road in Din Daeng district - 84 microns

Thon Buri Rodfai housing unit 5 Road in Bangkok Noi district - 76 microns

Samsen Road in Phra Nakhon district - 75 microns

Rama 5 Road in Dusit district - 74 microns

Srinakharin Road in Prawet district - 73 microns

Tambon Paknam in Muang district of Samut Prakan province - 72 microns

Tambon Khlong Goom in Bung Goom district - 71 microns

Rama 2 Road in Bang Khun Thian district - 71 microns

Chom Thong district – 70 microns

The Centre to Solve Air Pollution said that air quality is expected to improve considerably on Wednesday, as temperatures rise and air circulation improves, with rain in some areas.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/residents-of-bangkok-advised-to-avoid-out-door-activities-as-air-quality-worsens/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-12-14

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He hinted that, if the situation does not improve in the next couple of days, tighter measures may be introduced, such as car use restrictions and a truck ban in the worst-affected areas, adding that the National Environment Committee will be consulted about further action, if the situation does not improve.

ah, ban incoming tourists !

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Nevermind the crop burning! 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952lzcd2p78xrsxhdafpw

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously I don't like the bad air. But I don't have any problems when I am outside.

Sometime I have breathing  problems  inside when I want to sleep. 

Does anybody of you have similar symptoms? 

Pm2.5 also generally is too small to irritate your lungs when breathing, while larger particles would. That said, smaller particles, despite not causing immediate irritation, are far more dangerous than larger ones. Haze is a mix of both, small and large ones. You can see level of each in AirVisual app. I'd recommend you an air filter indoors if you don't have one yet. One with a display and AQI meter. If I can recommend as prices dropped significantly, get 3C air purifier from Xiaomi, as it dropped to 2599 a few days back. That's a steal. If readings are high, change mode to favourite (heart), for full speed. I don't have 3C, but assume it works same as 3H, just with LCD rather than OLED screen and open differently to replace filter. Basics should be the same though. So if your windows are relatively OK sealing, such air filter should keep AQI inside your place (up to 20-30m2 per one) down to around 10-15 in auto mode at 250-300 outside. That should help with breathing problems you're experiencing.

Side note: any HEPA filter should do. Recommending Xiaomi because it's the cheapest around that has air quality meter and display, so you can get a sense of what you're actually breathing. Of course you could buy IQAir for 30x higher price which does the same.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Pm2.5 also generally is too small to irritate your lungs when breathing, while larger particles would. That said, smaller particles, despite not causing immediate irritation, are far more dangerous than larger ones. Haze is a mix of both, small and large ones. You can see level of each in AirVisual app. I'd recommend you an air filter indoors if you don't have one yet. One with a display and AQI meter. If I can recommend as prices dropped significantly, get 3C air purifier from Xiaomi, as it dropped to 2599 a few days back. That's a steal. If readings are high, change mode to favourite (heart), for full speed. I don't have 3C, but assume it works same as 3H, just with LCD rather than OLED screen and open differently to replace filter. Basics should be the same though. So if your windows are relatively OK sealing, such air filter should keep AQI inside your place (up to 20-30m2 per one) down to around 10-15 in auto mode at 250-300 outside. That should help with breathing problems you're experiencing.

Side note: any HEPA filter should do. Recommending Xiaomi because it's the cheapest around that has air quality meter and display, so you can get a sense of what you're actually breathing. Of course you could buy IQAir for 30x higher price which does the same.

Thanks

About the air purifier: About how often should the filter be changed? 

Here is a link to that device in the Xiaomi store on Lazada

Xiaomi Air Purifier 3C เครื่องกรองอากาศ เครื่องฟอกอากาศ ครอบคุมพื้นที่สูงสุด 38 ตารางเมตร มีจอแสดงผล LED | Lazada.co.th

And I guess this is the matching filter

[Pre Order] Xiaomi Air Purifier Filter HEPA ไส้กรองเครื่องฟอกรุ่นมาตรฐาน สำหรับ Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 1 / 2 / 2S / 2H / 3H / Pro (สินค้าจะจัดส่งหลัง 17 ธ.ค. เป็นต้นไป) | Lazada.co.th

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

On mine it tells me in app how many percent and days estimate until filter is used up. In general new filter in centre of Bangkok lasts me about 5-6 months. I used green (anti bacterial) versions in the past, now using gray (HEPA), which cost around 800 baht per one. There's one air purifier in each room of the place, running around the clock, though you could make a schedule when you want each to work inside the app.

Yes - gray one you linked is the HEPA variety. Your price is better than what I usually pay.

As for the filter - I didn't see Global/China version designation on 3C like there is on 2S/3H/Pro. If version is Chinese, then you'd need to select China in Mi Home app before you can add the air purifier to the app and status messages are in Chinese. Global version can have country set to anything and status messages on the screen are in English. All my boxes are Global versions. If you don't use app, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1