Speeding Fines - well done Thai Police -or is it?

krobert6

11,000,000 unpaid at say 400 baht each is 4,400,000,000 THB  Not a bad chunk of change. Now for the medical bills that arent paid in this country by Expats I cant remember the exact number but I think the socalled officals could also be focussing and acting in this area and fill up the coffers indeed

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

years before I was fined for doing 33 in a 30mph zone !

Were you in Wales (maybe Scotland is the same) by any chance?  The norm in the UK is that you will not be fined for up to the limit + 10% and 2 mph - so in a 30 limit that would be 35. That info is from the police and my CPC instructor. Its not a given and it can be changed at any time but that's the guidelines - cameras and van cameras are usually set to that tolerance.  The exception is Wales (and possibly Scotland) where there is no tolerance at all - I got a ticket there for 32 in a 30!

The speedo on my current car speedo is unusually very accurate - just 1mph up at 80 so when I'm on the motorway I set my cruise for 79 (70 limit + 10% + 2mph) - haven't had a ticket since. For the first time in many years I now have a clean licence - I usually have at least 3 points for speeding ????

5 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

When you'll have to drive from North to South of LOS with a maximum speed of 90 km/hrs?

I'm sorry but 120-140 km hrs over a big distant is much more comfortable and have nothing to do with "so manny people in a hurry"

You are wrong. From North to South there aren't many roads where you can drive safely with 120 -140 km/h. Why don't you take a plane?

• Haha 1

On 12/15/2020 at 6:04 PM, krobert6 said:

I am not one to break laws (even if they are wrong)  I just can find a way to inform the Traffic office that the notice was wrong

From your OP...

"As for my ticket it was for doing 98 in an 80 zone - fair enough  but when you look at the photo on the ticked it clearly shows 90 painted on the road..."

Which part of doing 98 in a 80 (or even 90) zone classes you as "not one to break laws"?   It doesn't sound as though you'd have much of a case arguing that the fine was wrong!

11 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

So you don't need to care then!

It costs you a ticket then you may have to look over your shoulder for some time.

In my courtroom, if you are a persistent offender, and/or ignore paying the fine, you get charged with contempt as well.

Which "courtroom" is that?  There is no court where just being a "persistent offender" can lead to a contempt charge.

11 hours ago, NE1 said:

Highway 7 going down to Pattaya , 120kph speed limit. Signs flashing on the side of the road 80 or 90 kph.

It has been like that for a few years now.

That's normal, the indicated lower limit on the flashing signs overrides the national speed limit, same as in most countries.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spatiumus said:
11 hours ago, NE1 said:

That's normal, the indicated lower limit on the flashing signs overrides the national speed limit, same as in most countries.

That is how i replied to an earlier post about this subject.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, NE1 said:
9 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:
11 hours ago, NE1 said:

That is how i replied to an earlier post about this subject.

I know that!   I was responding to your post that you deleted above.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Susco said:

Highway7 is a tricky one to me.

I see above the road those speed signs that show the speed you are driving, and flash when you go over the limit, but there are 3 lanes and each lane has a different speed limit.

Someone can explain?

Still looking for an explanation for my question.

3 lanes, above them is a large billboard with 3 digital counters, and above each counter is a different speed displayed

Like 90 - 110 and 120. ( not sure if that are the exact numbers). It checks your speed and display your real speed in that particular lane, and flashes if you are higher than the limit displayed above the counter?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NE1 said:
23 minutes ago, Spatiumus said:

I know that!   I was responding to your post that you deleted above.

I cannot delete posts , only admin can.

You can delete content from your posts before you post them as you clearly did in the post that we're discussing here, your own quoted post had no content, that's what I was referring to,  the one five posts above this.

Edited by Spatiumus

13 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

From your OP...

"As for my ticket it was for doing 98 in an 80 zone - fair enough  but when you look at the photo on the ticked it clearly shows 90 painted on the road..."

Which part of doing 98 in a 80 (or even 90) zone classes you as "not one to break laws"?   It doesn't sound as though you'd have much of a case arguing that the fine was wrong!

Always a "holier than thou" on this site.  I dont suppose you get out much or drive eh - It is very difficult not to speed a little in Thailand else the loony drivers speeding all around you would drive you crazy.  I have driven here for 10 years and never had a fine - even though I was speeding a little most of the time here.  I am pleased about the speed fines though bemused that very few pay them.  500 baht is pennies and was paid the day I received , but given the income of most Thais in my area it is nearly 2 days wages.  My point is - If they are going to do something they should do it right.  I would never expect a refund but would like to point out the issues to them

13 hours ago, Susco said:

Still looking for an explanation for my question.

3 lanes, above them is a large billboard with 3 digital counters, and above each counter is a different speed displayed

Like 90 - 110 and 120. ( not sure if that are the exact numbers). It checks your speed and display your real speed in that particular lane, and flashes if you are higher than the limit displayed above the counter?

Call the Traffic police - if you can find a number..,.

13 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

Which "courtroom" is that?  There is no court where just being a "persistent offender" can lead to a contempt charge.

In my courtroom, Contempt for the law. A bad attitude! Lack of respect! "I will break the law if I want to" Take him down!!

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, krobert6 said:
14 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

From your OP...

Always a "holier than thou" on this site.  I dont suppose you get out much or drive eh - It is very difficult not to speed a little in Thailand

I agree, and I break the traffic laws as much as the next man but that wasn't my point.   My point was that the OP wants to contest a speeding ticket when he admitted that, whatever the limit on that road, he was speeding!  That is nothing to do with being holier-than-thou.

47 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:
14 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

In my courtroom, Contempt for the law. A bad attitude! Lack of respect! "I will break the law if I want to" Take him down!!

Clearly you don't have a courtroom, neither do you understand "contempt" in any legal sense!  Chronic offending is not contempt of court; it may be indicative of a bad attitude or lack of respect for the law but it sure isn't contempt unless the judge/magistrate is told to shove it were the sun doesn't shine.  That would be contempt!   

On 12/15/2020 at 6:13 PM, Kwasaki said:

There must an office you can send the pic showing the 90 kph in the pic but Thailand would probably say you were  still 8 kmh over. ????

8 km/h is within 10% error margin of most speedometers.

Just compare your meter reading with a GPS. You will be surprised how inaccurate they can be.

1 hour ago, Spatiumus said:

I agree, and I break the traffic laws as much as the next man but that wasn't my point.   My point was that the OP wants to contest a speeding ticket when he admitted that, whatever the limit on that road, he was speeding!  That is nothing to do with being holier-than-thou.

I don’t think the Op was contesting the speeding ticket itself. He admits he was speeding and seems ok with paying the fine. 

He was doing 98 kmh in an 80 kmh zone, or is it a 90 kmh zone ?

The Op wants to question what is the actual speed limit on that road - the photo clearly shows the limit painted on the road as 90 kmh whereas the ticket quotes 80 kmh for the speed limit.

Anyone fined for doing 88 kmh on that road may have a right to feel aggrieved. 

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

8 km/h is within 10% error margin of most speedometers.

Just compare your meter reading with a GPS. You will be surprised how inaccurate they can be.

Yeah but I think OP was done in a 80 doing 98.

I would like to think Thailand does take in some margin of error. 

I say that because we have a stretch of road that gets a camera attivated now and again or seems do or they hold a lucky dip on who they send a speed fine to. ????

So many go over to 70 kph limit I don't go over 80 kph on that stretch of road because I've been done twice there doing 87 kph and 83 kph. 

Where's a 90 sign I don't over 100kpm much at all and don't get done. 

Don't know if they do motorbikes yet on camera because I rarely take any notice of speed limits on my bike other than in a town or a village.

5 hours ago, Spatiumus said:

Clearly you don't have a courtroom, neither do you understand "contempt" in any legal sense!  Chronic offending is not contempt of court; it may be indicative of a bad attitude or lack of respect for the law but it sure isn't contempt unless the judge/magistrate is told to shove it were the sun doesn't shine.  That would be contempt!   

Showing disrespect for either the procedure in court or the law Is contempt!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah but I think OP was done in a 80 doing 98.

I would like to think Thailand does take in some margin of error. 

I say that because we have a stretch of road that gets a camera attivated now and again or seems do or they hold a lucky dip on who they send a speed fine to. ????

So many go over to 70 kph limit I don't go over 80 kph on that stretch of road because I've been done twice there doing 87 kph and 83 kph. 

Where's a 90 sign I don't over 100kpm much at all and don't get done. 

Don't know if they do motorbikes yet on camera because I rarely take any notice of speed limits on my bike other than in a town or a village.

I've been done once, doing 138 on Highway 4 just south of Kui Buri. Generally I would drive 110-120 on highway 4 South past the cameras, and even stationary police manned camera, and never got photographed. Even when I rented a few times from Budget, the lady there said "don't drive over 125, you'll get fined".

At the moment, they can't do a motor bike, as they take pictures from the front, and there is no license plate there on an MC.

35 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Showing disrespect for either the procedure in court or the law Is contempt!

WOW - guess you have never heard of the thousands tried, convicted, and sentenced for crimes they are innocent of.

And those who doubt the criminal justice system are guilty of contempt ?

This just lists those guilty and sentenced to death - in error

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exonerated_death_row_inmates

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

WOW - guess you have never heard of the thousands tried, convicted, and sentenced for crimes they are innocent of.

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Not sure sure your comment is relevant to a bad driver attitude or disrespect. A bad driver attitude is not about pleading his innocence and I think  that such a guilty driver in the court would be unlikely to be sentenced to death or even wrongly convicted.

And I have heard and read about those who have been wrongly convicted

16 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

I've been done once, doing 138 on Highway 4 just south of Kui Buri. Generally I would drive 110-120 on highway 4 South past the cameras, and even stationary police manned camera, and never got photographed. Even when I rented a few times from Budget, the lady there said "don't drive over 125, you'll get fined".

At the moment, they can't do a motor bike, as they take pictures from the front, and there is no license plate there on an MC.

Yeah but one the reason I mentioned big Motorbike was that my speeding fine for my truck showed the rear number plate of the truck as well. 

So no reply to those who have every right in the world to have complete and utter contempt for the Criminal Justice System in whatever country they are charged in ?

Just three cheers, the law can do no harm, ... ???

Would be funny if it was not so pathetic

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah but one the reason I mentioned big Motorbike was that my speeding fine for my truck showed the rear number plate of the truck as well. 

That's a new development. Was it very recent? have they new cameras?

1 hour ago, SpaceKadet said:

That's a new development. Was it very recent? have they new cameras?

I don't know about any tech out there on the road cameras in Thailand.

All I'm trying to say is people say motorbikes are OK because they only take a speed picture of the vehicle from the front.

That is not case with the speed camera not far from where we live on road 12.