Speeding Fines - well done Thai Police -or is it?

krobert6

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We (Wife and I) have something like 5 outstanding traffic fines. 

3 for speeding on the expressway (125kmh and 126kmh on the 120kmh expressway) and 2 for crossing a fixed white line.

We haven’t paid either and won’t until we are forced to, its been well over a year and we’ve paid our tax last year without any indication of owing fines. My Wife has also received a letter threatening legal action over one of the fines (over a year ago).

No biggie, if pressed we’ll just pay them, but I’m kind of more interested to see what happens when we don’t or if we will ever be forced to pay them !

3 months jail in the "farang" department.

• Haha 2

I've been told the reason people aren't having problems renewing their registration if the fines weren't paid is the ticket issuing dept and the vehicle registration dept aren't linked.

I cant confirm but it sounds plausible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:
1 hour ago, jackdd said:

It also costs nothing to break the law, this is Thailand.

So you don't need to care then!

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

So you don't need to care then!

It costs you a ticket then you may have to look over your shoulder for some time.

In my courtroom, if you are a persistent offender, and/or ignore paying the fine, you get charged with contempt as well.

In a country such as the UK where the penalties are severe and enforcement thereof, a certainty, speeding is not such a good idea. (however do note that despite that, 2.4 million speeding tickets were still issued in 2018-2019 in England and Wales)

Here the penalties are derisory and the enforcement is pathetic. So yes, folks just don't care.

I travel on route 22 Sakon Nakhon/Udon Thani occasionally and generally travel at 90-100kph. Almost everything on the road passes me, even heavy trucks that are limited to 60kph on that road.

https://www.companycartoday.co.uk/2-4-million-speeding-tickets-issued-in-2018-2019/

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, krobert6 said:

I received my first ticket in the mail - I am pleased that They are finally taking notice of speeding but when I start to pay attention to speed limits I get harassed and passed by other Thai drivers zooming past me - then I read that some 13 million tickets were issued and only 2 million paid I get worried.

As for my ticket it was for doing 98 in an 80 zone - fair enough  but when you look at the photo on the ticked it clearly shows 90 painted on the road - I was going to notify the Traffic office but there are NO contyact details on the ticket.  My point is - if you are going to do it - Do it right

"My point is - if you are going to do it - Do it right". Indeed. If you're going to speed, might as well do it properly. Since you get fined THB 500 for being 5K or 50K over the (often completely arbitrary) posted limited, why not put your foot down. I find 135-140 is a reasonable pace in downtown Bangkok on Highway 7. If I'm going to get a ticket, might as well be deserved.

Incidentally, I always pay them, although all of my Thai acquaintances laugh at me because I do.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

Sounds like money well spent since you clearly need to ‘get away with it’!  

Otherwise, muse on: If you don’t want the time Then do kt do the crime!

Don't think you know what I mean surely fairness you be considered and leniency given in certain situations IMHO but with many magistrates they just don't care.

7 minutes ago, shackleton said:

If the authorities put more emphasis on people paying their fines

Hitting them hard  in their pockets 

There could be more care and and attention on the  driving laws

I know its a big ask as the traffic offences just keep going  up

Not sure about Thai emphasis on people paying their fines or hitting them hard in their pockets.

The fine comes ordinary post for starters.

If you read the paper you get for a speeding fine with your vehicles picture from what remember is said:-

500 baht to be paid bla bla and if you don't paid the fine will double 1000 baht.

If still don't pay they will confiscate the vehicle and impound it until you do pay it.

That's why I gave it to my Mrs because it's her truck. ????

Never had a speed ticket for my motorbike but if I do I'll pay it.

16 hours ago, krobert6 said:

Here is the image on the Traffic Ticket

img004.jpg

You silly boy! From the picture, either you (and the other vehicle) were driving on the wrong side, or the speed limit is 06kph. They are being extremely lenient with you!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't think you know what I mean surely fairness you be considered and leniency given in certain situations IMHO but with many magistrates they just don't care.

Yes, and out of eactly that reason you have an excuse for not paying even if you know it´s wrong. In other words, you make it right for you to do wrong, just because 10 999 999 others do wrong. Nice to hear that you like adding to the wrongs in the world, instead of doing what you already know is right.

• Haha 2

You  know i often wondered who Thai police never bother booking drivers for speeding breaking the road rules Now i know Its a waste of time writing the ticket Thais dont pay there fines and they know they will get away with it relax police I am sorry for ever saying a bad word against you I can see why you just sit around doing nothing and not bothering to book people Its a complete waste of time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

Just as a point of interest [well I think so!] - in the UK I was at post-grad University with the Superintendent of traffic police for the county I lived in.

John always told us that the Government guide to traffic divisions was that there was an allowance on speed of 10% + 2.  This was to allow for speedo inaccuracies and other factors and was a 'fair' allowance.  Therefore - speeding in a 30 zone at 35 or less would not result in a fixed penalty notice or prosecution.  Over that and you are in s**t street!

This was some while ago and things in the UK may have changed.

From what I hear from my son in UK that's still correct.

The people that are aware of it do 79-80 mph on motorways.

Its the outside lane huggers that annoy UK road police doing 70 mph. ????

They think there OK but they are not aware it is for overtaking and they are technically causing an obstruction.

13 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

You  know i often wondered who Thai police never bother booking drivers for speeding breaking the road rules Now i know Its a waste of time writing the ticket Thais dont pay there fines and they know they will get away with it relax police I am sorry for ever saying a bad word against you I can see why you just sit around doing nothing and not bothering to book people Its a complete waste of time

I don't like camera law enforcement its good thing in some cases and not really a good thing in others its just a revenue collection.

On the spot road fines was a better way in Thailand IMO at least fines are paid.

17 hours ago, krobert6 said:

Yeah I guess that would be the case, If I had contact details I would contest it just to see what happened

40 years ago in England I got fined for doing 32 in a 30 mile and hour zone. I was outside a Police dog training centre. They sniffed me out. Now there's paws for thought.????

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Erm... au contraire !!!... you received a fine, ergo, it would seem you are one to break laws !!! 

Thats not a bad thing, we all creep over the speed limit etc...   In the UK I was recently charged £100 for going 36 in a 30 zone - my bad (I was in Thailand by the time I’d received the fine, what a PITA dealing with that was), years before I was fined for doing 33 in a 30mph zone ! - No complaints no contest because other people do follow the traffic laws and driving in the UK is a far safer experience. 

In Thailand, I don’t care to pay the fine because the Police do nothing about all the ridiculous and dangerous driving I see on a daily basis, running lights etc etc - I have little respect for the system so don'’t want to pay into it if I’m not forced to  (or rather my Wife, because most of the fines are her’s !)

I think, it is not the real reason you don't pay the fine in LOS in contrast to GB

We all know, especially in Europe and more in the Netherlands, if you refuse to pay, you can lose all your possessions/assets.

In Thailand you don't have to worry about that (not yet)

• Like 2

In my experience the fine is 500baht if you go over the speed limit by 10km/h or 100km/h doesn't matter fine stays the same . That's where the problem lies , should make difference between fines and fine people that drive much to fast big time so there is some kind of scare for them , but then again if they just don't pay and nothing is done about it what does it even matter . 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We (Wife and I) have something like 5 outstanding traffic fines. 

3 for speeding on the expressway (125kmh and 126kmh on the 120kmh expressway) and 2 for crossing a fixed white line.

We haven’t paid either and won’t until we are forced to, its been well over a year and we’ve paid our tax last year without any indication of owing fines. My Wife has also received a letter threatening legal action over one of the fines (over a year ago).

No biggie, if pressed we’ll just pay them, but I’m kind of more interested to see what happens when we don’t or if we will ever be forced to pay them !

Guy is a lot tougher when there is no real risk !

but when it's about facing a poor stray dog, balls disappear ! So funny you are...