Retirement Visa - Financial and Accommodation Questions

A few weeks ago, in response to a question I asked on this forum, Ubon Joe sent me a link to a Thai government website with the requirements for applying for a retirement visa whilst in Thailand at the end of a SETV. The document states that I would need 800,000 Baht deposited in a Thai bank account, and I would also need to show a lease agreement for my stay in Thailand.

I have checked the Thai Embassy Canberra website for the retirement visa. They state that I must show an equivalent of 800,000 Baht in a bank account, but they make no mention of it being required in a Thai bank account. They also make no mention of accommodation requirements.

If I apply for this visa in Australia, does this mean that I can keep the money in an Australian bank account for the duration of the visa, or does it at some stage need to be transferred into a Thai bank account? (Or have I misunderstood the Canberra Embassy requirement completely??)

With regards to the Thai government website regarding the lease agreement, does that mean that I can't travel around the country as I wish? I do not want to spend the entire time in Thailand in one place and would prefer the freedom to travel and spend time at various places.  Is that then not possible if I apply for the retirement visa while I am in Thailand?

If you apply for a OA visa at the embassy the funds can be in a bank in Australia. You also have to show proof medical insurance valid for at least one year. The visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue and you can get 2 years of total stay from the visa by getting a new one year entry just before it expires.

If you stay longer than 90 consecutive days will need to have proof of residence somewhere to the 90 day reports needed.

To apply for the non-o visa immigration the funds must be in a Thai bank. 

The lease or rental agreement does not need to be for a year. Three months should be enough to apply for the visa.

You do not have to stay at the same address all the time. You can travel as much as you want to within the country.

If you decided to change your main address you can move and stay somewhere else and you only need to change your address to the local immigration office.

• Like 2

Hi, I did PM you a +20 page Guideline document on how to stay long-term in Thailand when over +50.

It outlines all the options and details to apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country and meeting the insurance requirement for such application.  As well as the option to apply for a Non Imm O Visa in Thailand (after having arrived Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa).

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

• Like 1