Soi 6 Bars Closed

bazmlb

Basset,

Could you take time to confirm if the Thumbs Up is among those closed? My wife just started work there a few weeks back and hope she has managed to dodge that bullet. I am out of the country for the time being in sponsor mode.

Oh my - Your wife just started working there??? :D Dare I ask what sort of job she has??? :o

I thought Thumbs UP was a RESTAURANT and I was told it had moved to near Bamboo on Pattaya Tai near the demolished Pier. Will have to check it out if it has moved, as the food was always good there!

Edited by me: Having looked at later posts, it looks like I was wrong and I am thinking of the wrong place. :D

Indeed, up until about a month ago Thumbs Up was a restaurant.

Just a few months ago the restaurant was remodeled; transformed from a utilitarian chrome & Formica eating estabishment, whose large glass windows offered a nice view of the chubettes at the Viking Bar just across the soi, into a closed-in box with leatherette booths and "hardwood" floors. The remodeling took forever, even by TIT standards, and evidently was to be paid for from future earnings as on reopening the menu was essentially the same but the prices were way up. Brekkie went from 115 baht to 150 and the Thai dishes jumped 30-50%, so that they were attempting to compete with the Sportsman just up the soi.

Given that the base clientele were cost conscious farangs - aka "Cheap Charlies" in some circles - this price restructuring insured a serious lack of customers. Two tables occupied at the same time could be said to be an overflow. And the price increase also killed their take out trade with the Thais. Seems to me the Thai owner should have left well enough alone.

Anyway the place was sold and in April became a bar.

-redwood

and my good wife is still sommelier! so lucky to keep her job especially in low season with all these closures don't you agree?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shocked at the number of posters who ONLY use Soi 6 for pedentary purposes.

And Begsie if you need a dictionary I would suggest you go to the library !

John,

I can't find pedentary in my dictionary. Were you trying to write 'pedantic' by any chance?

pedentary: to live a lifestyle that requires walking

I would suggest you invest in a new dictionary or learn how to use Google...........................................sh1t, now I am being pedantic !