Unlimited 4G simcards - who here has it?

FarangFB

For a couple years I've been using True Move unlimited 4G simcard. For those who don't know this is a simcard that allows unlimited 4G use at 10 Mbps - it's not superfast but enough for pretty much anything like watching youtube or making video calls. It's not available at the shop but you can buy from Lazada.

I've been happy with pretty much everything about this simcard except one thing - I can NOT make not receive calls on facebook messenger while using this simcard. If I'm connected on a wifi then it works, but if I'm on 4g then no. The calls can be made normally in other apps such as Line or Whatsapp.

Now this is the interesting part: my yearly plan just finished and this time I bought 3 other cards

- another one from True, this time maxspeed with a 60Gb limit

- one unlimited from Dtac

- one unlimited from 1-2-call

I tried all 3 of them and they all work exactly the same, they can do everything but NOT call on messenger. I was thinking it was something wrong with my phone, but my wife's phone has the same issue. I suspect all these companies intentionally block messenger from making calls on these simcards.

Can anyone in there verify that? If you're using one of these yearly 4G simcards please try to use facebook messenger and make a call to anyone. I'd really like to know if the problem is my phone or there is an actual block from all mobile companies.

• Haha 1

Ok I found out the problem to be that Facebook Messenger does not deal well with two simcards on the same phone. When I turn off the primary card and leave just the data one, then it works fine.

Unfortunately I need them both, the primary seem is my fixed number that is also registered with banks and I really don't want to change that. If anyone has a clue on how to sort that, I'd be really thankful

Edited by FarangFB
  • Haha 1

Just got a new monthly paid simcard from TRUE and you can pay via some app nowadays, so not even need to get the invoice by post. I have a medium package and call via Skype, Messenger and VOIP without any issues. iPhone too.

Messenger in general gets issues from time to time regardless to how good your Internet is.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

I bought 12month 4Mbps unlimited package for my car head unit on AIS for 3500 baht. 

I also have another 1Mbps package for a smart device 1200 per year. 

Your sim validity is extended and only need to top up annually. 

Can't beat the unlimited AIS packages. Been using them for 3 years now

• Like 2

I bought 12month 4Mbps unlimited package for my car head unit on AIS for 3500 baht. 

I also have another 1Mbps package for a smart device 1200 per year. 

Your sim validity is extended and only need to top up annually. 

??

3500 baht? Why would you do that...unless you wanted to keep the same number? You know the AIS 10 Mbps annual pack is under 2000 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

??

3500 baht? Why would you do that...unless you wanted to keep the same number? You know the AIS 10 Mbps annual pack is under 2000 baht.

@EindhovenI'd be very grateful for a link to that package, thanks.

Edit: Found IT - Damn I wish I knew that, 100GB is more than enough for the car a month... https://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/marathon1790.html

Edited by Satcommlee

@EindhovenI'd be very grateful for a link to that package, thanks.

Edit: Found IT - Damn I wish I knew that, 100GB is more than enough for the car a month... https://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/marathon1790.html

No, that's not it. That has a data limit of 100 GB.

It's this one: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-8mbps-12-i1836666017-s5551112366.html

Actually described as 8- 10 Mbps. But unlimited.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Eindhoven,

True 80gb is cheaper than the True 60gb per month?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/max-speed-80gb-i1461114050-s3815622963.html

Also 

- Use free Wifi True for 1 year (press *871*4# to get the code to connect to 1 hour at a time)

So does that mean I have to dial *871*4# each and every hour to use the internet?  as I would only use it for my True Aircard on my lap-top and do not have a dial pad to do so, hence this question.

Win ????

2 hours ago, Kan Win said:

Hi Eindhoven,

True 80gb is cheaper than the True 60gb per month?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/max-speed-80gb-i1461114050-s3815622963.html

Also 

- Use free Wifi True for 1 year (press *871*4# to get the code to connect to 1 hour at a time)

So does that mean I have to dial *871*4# each and every hour to use the internet?  as I would only use it for my True Aircard on my lap-top and do not have a dial pad to do so, hence this question.

Win ????

60 GB has unlimited calls to all networks(max 15 mins per call)

80 GB offers only in-network free calls.

free Wifi True refers to HotSpot usage; unconnected to the mobile data allowance.

DTAC offers 10 Mbps unlimited: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sim-net-dtac-dtac-10mbps-12-muntookdee-i1154204644-s2700554573.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eindhoven,

Thank you very much for all of your help on this topic. :wai:

Did get the True 60 GB and it works like a dream, with it being register in my name with True via the Agent that sold it to our Thai daughter, using my Thai Driving License and my Thai ID No. 8-****-*****-**-*.

Win ???? 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, FarangFB said:

ok thanks. I googled it a bit and seems to be an iphone only issue, messenger can't handle it when there are 2 sims and only one of them has internet

Messenger working fine including voice and video calls on my iPhone 12 with one physical sim from my home country and one eSim from AIS. Only AIS eSim has internet. 

Edited by sanmyintmaung

i have a true h card, i pretty much never phone and the only time i

use it for internet is when i verify internet banking through wifi at home.

but i need to use internet if i wish to login to big c etc,

i want to spend as little on calls & internet as humanly possible,

while still being able to use internet for big c qr code,

what should i do ? what is the cheapest option that meet my

need/want

i know from experience if i leave internet access on,

to enable big c qr code, it uses up the phone money when i use internet banking or anything instead of wifi

also i really wish to keep the number

and if i have to make a new bankID i rather skip it all

Edited by scammed

18 hours ago, scammed said:

i have a true h card, i pretty much never phone and the only time i

use it for internet is when i verify internet banking through wifi at home.

but i need to use internet if i wish to login to big c etc,

i want to spend as little on calls & internet as humanly possible,

while still being able to use internet for big c qr code,

what should i do ? what is the cheapest option that meet my

need/want

i know from experience if i leave internet access on,

to enable big c qr code, it uses up the phone money when i use internet banking or anything instead of wifi

also i really wish to keep the number

and if i have to make a new bankID i rather skip it all

You can port the number to DTAC; then to apply for the Plearn promo that gives you a 64 kbps connection for 30 baht.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:41 PM, Eindhoven said:

It's this one: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-8mbps-12-i1836666017-s5551112366.html

Actually described as 8- 10 Mbps. But unlimited.

This looks good value thanks. Has anyone experience with this SIM and checked if speeds are kept to just 8-10Mbps or can they go faster still?

I recently bought a 300THB AIS one month unlimited no data cap 10Mbps, expecting 10Mbps max but found the speeds were often much faster (up to 70Mbps depending on time/loc) which I very much appreciated.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh

2 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

This looks good value thanks. Has anyone experience with this SIM and checked if speeds are kept to just 8-10Mbps or can they go faster still?

I recently bought a 300THB AIS one month unlimited no data cap 10Mbps, expecting 10Mbps max but found the speeds were often much faster (up to 70Mbps depending on time/loc) which I very much appreciated.

Most SIMS come with a free allowance; so if you run a speed test, you may be testing the full speed free allowance. Once that is utilised, it should drop back to 8 to 10 Mbps.

Test with https://testmy.net

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

A one-time fee.

ok, that sounds like my deal.

with port to dtac,

do you mean go to a phone shop and say i want to port my nr

to a dtac chip with the 64kbps promo ?

do i keep the money i got on my current chip ?

( i use to pay up and tell them to fix it so its going to last for a year without top up)

Edited by scammed

19 minutes ago, scammed said:

ok, that sounds like my deal.

with port to dtac,

do you mean go to a phone shop and say i want to port my nr

to a dtac chip with the 64kbps promo ?

do i keep the money i got on my current chip ?

( i use to pay up and tell them to fix it so its going to last for a year without top up)

The new system requires only one day to activate after a MNP request is submitted by a customer to the old operator via their mobile phone by dialling *151* plus their ID card number, pressing # and making a phone call.

The user can then contact the new network operator by showing a text message that contains a quick code and a message from the old operator confirming that the MNP request has been received.

If you cannot do that by yourself; go to a mall where there are Truemove H and DTAC service centres. First into the Truemove H centre to obtain the code needed to present to DTAC.

Then to DTAC to ask for a GO Plearn SIM. If they don't have one, take any Internet SIM and apply *103*55*9# to it. You can show the code to the DTAC staff to apply it for you.

They should port the number to them and apply the USSD code for the Plearn promo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The new system requires only one day to activate after a MNP request is submitted by a customer to the old operator via their mobile phone by dialling *151* plus their ID card number, pressing # and making a phone call.

The user can then contact the new network operator by showing a text message that contains a quick code and a message from the old operator confirming that the MNP request has been received.

If you cannot do that by yourself; go to a mall where there are Truemove H and DTAC service centres. First into the Truemove H centre to obtain the code needed to present to DTAC.

Then to DTAC to ask for a GO Plearn SIM. If they don't have one, take any Internet SIM and apply *103*55*9# to it. You can show the code to the DTAC staff to apply it for you.

They should port the number to them and apply the USSD code for the Plearn promo.

ok, many thanks. i guess 7/11 wont do this so its tuk com.

will i be able to use up the money in the phone already,

and will i be able to use the old card if the money isnt transferred

Edited by scammed